Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locked by Moderator, Not on subject anymore,AIR Roadmap Update

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AIR developers,

With the news today regarding Flash Player, I'm sure many of you have questions regarding AIR and its future roadmap.  Let me start by saying that today's announcement was not about AIR, and instead focuses entirely on Flash Player and the browser plugin environment.  Adobe remains committed to AIR and we believe it continues to be a great desktop and mobile development platform.

Many of you have asked for a roadmap update.  We hope to have our official Flash Runtime roadmap updated soon, but until then I wanted to share some of the features we'd like to accomplish in our upcoming releases.  As always, this list may change as we receive feedback from the community.

• Support for 64-bit AIR – Windows Captive Only
  • AIR SDK installer on Windows
  • Desktop async texture upload
  • DirectX11 support for AIR desktop
  • Increase the GPU memory texture limit
  • Improved monitor and resolution settings for AIR Desktop
  • GPU render mode for AIR Desktop
  • Support for the latest SDK on iOS 11 and Android O
  • ASTC Support for mobile
  • VR/AR support for AIR apps
  • ANE support for Swift on iOS
  • METAL bindings for Stage3D
  • Motion detection for Android devices

We've also been following a feature request thread on the Starling forums.  We wanted to get your feedback on some of the items outlined by the community.  If you'd like to provide additional input, please take a minute and take this three question survey so we can better understand what folks would like to see in future releases.

Community AIR Feature Requests​ Survey

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 383 Replies 383
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very confident WebAssembly will be a very good answer to that kind of concern, granted that all those "new" tech bring us back 20 years ago when you couldn't support all browser/browser versions and Flash came out and said "I can" ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, take a moment. Adobe does not want to know about us programmers or our opnions, they let the Flash Player die and the flash builder together with Flex, until today there is nothing compared to flex technology, and make no mistake, flexJs is still crawling for the next 5 years will not yet be stable. As for AIR or defend this technology because Adobe does not bet anything on AIR and soon will die together with Flash Plauyer can be sure. I am migrating all the applications I have already canceled my Adobe signature and asked for my employees to do the same. I never again advocate for ADOBE-branded products that she did with the programmers who studied and believed in the technology was compared to Hittler.

Die Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comparison to Hitler is really out of line and pure craziness but I would agree the lack of vision on Adobe's part is just stunning. Since they bought Macromedia every single major decision they took for Flash and Apollo made me think "you got to be kidding me ...", there's just never been a time where I thought "good move Adobe, well done". Their move (300M investment) to make Flash tech a major OS base on mobile was just plain stupid and simply marked the beginning of the end for Flash. When this failed (it took them 3 years to realize it) they pulled 90% resource from the platform and started to let it die. What's really stunning is why so many people still can't see that and still think "yeah Adobe's gonna do the right thing with AIR, no way they'll let it die like Flash".

Another stunning example, the Sound API (the worst Sound API ever made) starting with FP9, instantly turned Flash into the worst platform for sound related development. They could have fixed it then but no, they didn't put the money down to do that and just let it go. If you ever wonder why it's the worst Sound API in history run basic latency test and compare the results with ANY other technology and I mean ANY, at best Flash/AIR is 50ms behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASWC  wrote

Comparison to Hitler is really out of line and pure craziness but I would agree the lack of vision on Adobe's part is just stunning. Since they bought Macromedia every single major decision they took for Flash and Apollo made me think "you got to be kidding me ...", there's just never been a time where I thought "good move Adobe, well done". Their move (300M investment) to make Flash tech a major OS base on mobile was just plain stupid and simply marked the beginning of the end for Flash. When this failed (it took them 3 years to realize it) they pulled 90% resource from the platform and started to let it die. What's really stunning is why so many people still can't see that and still think "yeah Adobe's gonna do the right thing with AIR, no way they'll let it die like Flash".

I don't think Adobe had any lack of vision when they planed for AIR.

Not only they completely changed the direction of the early beta project Gemini,

but right from the start they released both Flash Player v9.0 and AIR v1.0 back in 2006.

So yeah, their vision was to know already 10 years ago that the Flash tech had to dissociate itself from the browserand that's why they came with the concept of Out Of Browser experience that is Adobe AIR.

If you can not call that a "good move" you got shit for brains.

ASWC  wrote

Another stunning example, the Sound API (the worst Sound API ever made) starting with FP9, instantly turned Flash into the worst platform for sound related development. They could have fixed it then but no, they didn't put the money down to do that and just let it go. If you ever wonder why it's the worst Sound API in history run basic latency test and compare the results with ANY other technology and I mean ANY, at best Flash/AIR is 50ms behind.

All that depends on your definition of "good".

The great thing about the Flash Sound API is you can build a mp3 sound player in 1h top,

so sure you may not have the precision of an audio mixing studio but it was good enough

for startup like SoundCloud to get started right away.

Compare that to the Browser API for sound and there you can find the worst sound API ever,because you can not build a basic sound player without going through a lot of shit,
audio tag is a joke, Web Audio API is a shit show.

Not everyone need to be a sound engineer to just play some sound ...

I mean seriously dude just look at this

Introduction to Web Audio API

that's an "introduction" not an advanced tutorial, it's ridiculous.

I personally don't care about 50ms latency, but I do care about an API easy to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notice that your type makes for a good pun?:

"I don't think Adobe had any lack of vision when they planed for AIR."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might not care about 50ms latency (best case) but pros do. The industry standard is 30ms MAX and the Web Audio API does deliver, Flash does not and has never since FP9. I don't know why you think Web Audio is a bad API, it's way more advanced than the Flash one and the latency is simply awesome, this is javascript dev so yeah it's crapy by definition but the performance of the API can't be denied. If an API can't deliver latency < 30 then there's tons of app types that tech can't do, people used to do bunch of sound apps of all type prior to FP9 and then after FP9 the flash sound API was so bad that all you could do is app mixers types (mixing sounddata with >= 500ms latency).

No Macromedia started the whole Apollo thing, get your facts straight.

Additionally stop insulting me, if you can't keep a conversation civil don't bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASWC  wrote

Additionally stop insulting me, if you can't keep a conversation civil don't bother.

I threat you with the same amount of respect you are according to this forum thread: being on topic, not hijacking the conversation, etc. you know, that kind of thing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what world/reality is it ok to insult people because YOU judge them guilty of the heinous crime of not being on topic?

Can't imagine what punishment people deserve according to you if they stump of your flowers, or deliver your mail at the wrong address ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASWC  wrote

In what world/reality is it ok to insult people because YOU judge them guilty of the heinous crime of not being on topic?

Can't imagine what punishment people deserve according to you if they stump of your flowers, or deliver your mail at the wrong address ...

look you're not the first troll I encounter on forums

you're not here to talk about the subject "AIR Roadmap update"
you're here to disrupt the conversation that other people may want to have about this subject

it's not my opinion, it's not a judgement,
simply look at the history of your messages in this thread

you are all over the place, being negative against Adobe choice, against Adobe AIR tech,
telling ppl to move to HTML5, etc.

you are discussing everything single other topics but the Adobe AIR Roadmap

it's quite pathetic really ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are delusional and I'm going to simply ignore you from now on so that craziness can stop. But here's a rundown of your delusions and lies:

- "being negative against Adobe choice" guilty as charge and for many years but btw how is that NOT on topic?

- "against Adobe AIR tech" I love that tech and I don't criticize it not even in this thread, pointing out its flows and not a criticizing of the whole thing, that is a characterization on your part and a lie.

- "telling ppl to move to HTML5" you can check the thread again and see many people expressing concern about browser support and solutions, I told those people yeah you can still keep your AS3 base and export to html5 or even WebAssembly later so no need to panic. You on the other hand lie and make it sound like I'm here to tell people to drop AIR and move to html, HTML cannot do what AIR does so STOP lying.

I've been super moderator for 6 years at actionscript.org, been a open source contributor for year in Flash and AIR, I helped thousands of people with their project and their learning and this is the kind of crap I get. Then people wonder why the Flash community is falling apart ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No disrespect here at all but,

"I've been super moderator for 6 years at actionscript.org, been a open source contributor for year in Flash and AIR, I helped thousands of people with their project and their learning and this is the kind of crap I get"

I personally have no idea who you are actually, my name is on my profile, just like a lot of others.

I apologize if I don't recognize your ASWC handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apologies needed, I've quit all that 5 years ago and now just participate in forums on occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a moderator here, and was thinking of moving all these messages to another forum. Trouble is I couldn't find an "Entertainment" forum. Nevertheless, I think you two should find a way to sell tickets to your discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll happily provide my twitter handle to he can send me there directly his rantings and insults ... As I said I'm done responding to him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember ASWC quite fondly, he/she was always amoung the best for sure. I was actually quite excited to see the name just now it's been a while. As far as the sound latency, I dont really see how anyone can argue against how terrible it is and has been since it's revamp around flash player 10 I think. (It's ok on iOS tho)

Keeping on topic as roadmap requests,

Someone had to make an Android ANE just to simply play sounds on time. So yes that would be a nice bug to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always nice to be remembered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun fact: Flash Sound API is the only one that allows you to ping a satellite and play a sound at the same time and get back your ping before the sound starts to play, the ONLY one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Is Adobe going to keep updating Animate CC? We use Animate CC to build and publish AIR for iOS (iPad & iPhone) and Android apps, and will need to have Animate CC to be up-to-date and great.

Also, is there a plan to fix the StageWebView so it can load and display local HTML5 files?

This is good to know that AIR for iOS and Android will live and be improved in the future. This is a good platform to create apps.

Please advise. Thank you much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean that there is still potential for ASNext aka AS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't see how this could ever happen at least as long as Adobe is in charge of that technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to can things when the cool kids aren't playing with them any more, so maybe when seamless multi-platform development goes out of style Adobe will donate AIR to Apache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know when we can expect the official road map from Adobe...

thanks as always,

Sean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell probably knows.

In two months there is Adobe MAX, I imagine a lot of effort is going into that for now. It would seem reasonable to have roadmap things ready for that. But, if it's Christmas before we know more, just blame Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!! Chris has been great so I am sure they are working on something...

Fingers crossed!

tx again,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines