Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with badge installation in Chrome on Windows

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

The badge installation stopped working recently, probably after last Google Chrome update. Problem look like this: after clicking "install now" badge the confirmation window to install Adobe AIR appears ("Would you like to install adobe AIR?"). I click yes, download progress bar goes from 0 to 100%, and then error message appears ("Download error. Try again?"). Click yes - everything repeats.

Also, in Chrome on Windows there is text under the badge: "In order to run <app name>, this installer will also set up Adobe AIR" - but latest AIR is already installed. We used standard installation badge, provided with the SDK.

OS Windows 7 ver 6.1 (build 7600)

Browser Google Chrome 21.0.1180.60 m

Flash Player 11.3.31.222

AIR 3.3.0.3670

The problem appears only in Google Chrome, and only on Windows. In IE and FF everything seems to work fine. In Chrome 21.0.1180.57 on Mac OS X 10.7.2 it works fine as well.

You can look at the error here: http://www.jivosite.ru/install_application

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what Erik says is true (discontinue this feature)...I think is a new bad action from Adobe that will continue to maintain the perception that Adobe is driving things really bad and is not taking care of customers.

This is other drop that will make people continue to shift from Adobe to other vendors taking into account that products are left in the cold from one day to another.

What happen to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another bad publication from Adobe, and I think no one would it use it even for Video or games, people will be scared of committing to the platform.

Adobe said they are "Doubling down on Adobe AIR", after more than a week, still no fix, sure seems like a bet to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Chrome 21's sandboxing broke more things than just Air.swf.  It seems that Adobe Connect (which is based on a Flash Add-In?) is also broken:

http://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/google-chrome-21-browser-incompatibility.html

The workaround (disabling the PPAPI) is the same.

I'm somewhat baffled that Adobe didn't see this coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last I heard we had at least one developer investigating this issue.  I'll ask for an update on Monday.

Chris

Ps. Yes, Connect was affected too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, we are all crossing our fingers over here !!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this blog post from Adobe means the issue is being fixed in September: http://blogs.adobe.com/connectsupport/screenshot-does-not-work-in-chrome/ 

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update.  I talked with the engineering manager in charge of the Chrome effort yesterday and learned that we are working on fixing this bug.  I don't have a firm date for when this will be resolved, but given the effort and coordination required we suspect it will be up to a few months.  Please understand that everyone involved is aware of the impact this bug has on you and your customers and we will do our best to resolve this as quickly as possible.

In the interim, our recommendation for Chrome users continues to be to include links to the runtime (http://get.adobe.com/air) and your .air installer.  I'll update this thread when I have new information, but feel free to post back or email ccampbel@adobe.com if you'd like an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, and the sooner the better...

Regards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new Chrome 21 problem with AIR has come up:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=140000

Specifically, it seems that LocalConnection between Flash and AIR is broken.  In my case, the whole point of being able to launch the installed AIR application is so that my SWF can communicate with it via LocalConnection.

Is this problem also going to be fixed along with the rest of the AIR issues?  If the badge installation / AIR  launching features were fixed it would be meaningless without LocalConnection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, but I think Adobe and Google are working very hard to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Fritze wrote:

I have exactly the same problem, but I think Adobe and Google are working very hard to fix this problem.

I'm not sure...  In the Chrome ticket, the first comment is "This is intended behavior as we consider this functionality to be deprecated in Chrome."  This comment makes me wonder if it is going to be fixed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've brought this new issue up with the team, and I've also entered a internal bug for us to investigate (3313029).  My hope is we'd be able to address both issues simultaneously.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Chris. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Both the AIR badge install and Chrome/AIR LocalConnection are essential to our browser/AIR hybrid applications, which we built for our partners on the assumption that Adobe APIs would remain supported and stable. Please let us know when this breakdown in the integrity of the Flash Platform will be addressed.

Thank you.

...Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We encounter the same issue. We use Air Badge for our application install. Given the fact that most of our users use Chrome, this is really embarrassing (for us, for Adobe, for Chrome).

Here is a short screencast that shows the bad unfortunate user-experience:

http://screencast.com/t/61pV6pDGnjSL

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, chrome to AIR local connection is crucial. Please let us know how this issue evolves over time.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I am encountering the same problem,  it really affect the user experience, please help.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on it.  I'll see if there any update that I can post.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, do you have any updates on this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Nothing new to report other than we haven't had any setbacks.  Given the products and companies involved, this will just take time to get implemented.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok we are all sitting patiently waiting.. don't let the quietness give the impression we are not all monitoring this everyday ... thx!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new now? Anything...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was reported in early august...we are in mid october and nothing was done for a critical problem for lots of Adobe's customers??

sincerily each year Adobe is lowing the level. What's happen to Adobe?

Sadly to see the thruth in Steve Jobs words about the laziness of Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe pleeeeeeeeease fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, do you have a better sense of when this issue will be fixed? Even a rough estimate would help contigency planning.

Thanks,
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines