• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Testing an AIR app on iOS device, without being an Apple Developer.

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's possible now to test an iOS app on a device WITHOUT being a paid-up member of Apple's Developer program.  How do I do that?

The way I've done things previously, has been to go to my Apple developer account - type-in device UDIDs, and create provisioning profiles and certificates.  I've also used TestFlight - but this also requires a paid-up membership.

So, what's the new way?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

OK - I worked it out!

You need XCode 7.  Create a new XCode iOS project.  (A single view application - it doesn't matter)  But the Bundle ID must be the same as your blank AIR app ID (The same as in your AIR configuration xml fie <id>..</id>).

Plug in your device and run this XCode app on your device.

In XCode you can view your provisioning profiles - and show them in the Finder.  You'll need the one for this app ID.  (I made a copy).

Then - run KeyChain Access (in Utilities folder) and find your ce

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're a tester only, you can test someone else's app they've made, using provisioning profiles and UDIDs and such from their developer account.

If you're making an app, and want to test on a device, you need your own developer account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the situation previously.  But I'm talking about the Apple's recent announcement at WWDC 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you mean with the new testflight? with that, it's integrated with itunes connect and all you need is an email address from your testers and you can test on up to 1000 devices. no UDIDs required. But you still have to have a developer account to access itunes connect.

Do you have a link to the new way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kawikaheftel: That was the situation previously.  As I stated in my question - I'm familiar with the OLD way, including TestFlight.

But I'm talking about the recent changes and announcement at WWDC 2015.  XCode 7 allows you to deploy to a device without Apple Membership.  Here's a link: Developer Membership No Longer Required to Test Your Apps on Apple Devices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way - I've been having problems with posting replies to this forum - and apparently, some of my failed attempts at responses are delayed and moderated.  So apologies if some of my comments repeat themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whoa, that's awesome! I've gotta look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off topic now, but there has been some oversensitivity in the forum filters, and hence some messages are moderated when they didn't need to be. They get moderated quite quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's a question of whether you can take that "free provisioning profile" and use it in another toolchain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right in what you say about TestFlight, but we're talking about Apple saying that you are now allowed to develop apps for your own devices, without having to have a developer account.

Here's the article on how it's done in Xcode:

Launching Your App on Devices

I don't know if it can be done with non-Xcode tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin Holgate - if you don't know - then no-one does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I worked it out!

You need XCode 7.  Create a new XCode iOS project.  (A single view application - it doesn't matter)  But the Bundle ID must be the same as your blank AIR app ID (The same as in your AIR configuration xml fie <id>..</id>).

Plug in your device and run this XCode app on your device.

In XCode you can view your provisioning profiles - and show them in the Finder.  You'll need the one for this app ID.  (I made a copy).

Then - run KeyChain Access (in Utilities folder) and find your certificate listed under "My Certificates). Export it as a .p12 file (and give it a password).

Now you can use this .mobileProvision, and .p12 file, and password, to build your AIR app to deploy your device!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's awesome, thanks for figuring this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am posting this over a year later, but for anyone that is following Daniel's method, at the end you must use XCode to deploy the .api file you've published. Don't try to use Flash, Animate CC, iTunes or iFunBox to put the .api on to the device. You'll get an error message. You need to install the .api to your device via the "Devices" window in XCode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small correction, samm means the .IPA file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do sorry! It was late at night in the UK when I posted it. Not sure where I got ".api" from.

Anyway, it took me a long time to figure this out, so I hope it helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This helped me get a bit further, I have created a .ipa file using Flash CS5.
However, when I now try to install it onto my IPhone using ITunes, it says :

"The app MyApp.ipa was not installed on the IPhone because it does not work with this version of iOS"

(I have iOS 11.2 installed)

I've tried everything I could find (including modifying the info.plist file), but no luck.
Does anyone have an idea what else I can try ?

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I also tried by using XCode by the way, but that just results in an "unknown error".

This is really frustrating stuff... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got one step further in XCode, now I at least get a useful message : "Unsupported CPU type"...
Any pointers would really be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 could publish for ARMv6 devices, such as the original iPhone. Quite a while ago Apple dropped support for ARMv6, and as their requirements also say that you have to support iOS 7 as a minimum, and ARMv6 support was dropped in iOS 4.3, you can't create a new ARMv6 app that is acceptable by Apple.

It used to be worth keeping CS5 around to update old apps, but I think even updates would not be allowed in the App Store.

Meanwhile, Adobe also dropped support for ARMv6 in AIR 3, but to use AIR 3 you would need to be on at least Flash Pro CS5.5.

So, if you want to use CS5 to build an app onto a phone, you need to find a phone that is on iOS 4.2 or earlier, and use AIR 2.0. AIR 2.5 wouldn't work in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks Colin !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines