• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iTunes MobileDevice library not found error when 'Install application on the connected iOS....'

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After recently upgrading iTunes to 11.0.5.5 I get the following error...

'iTunes MobileDevice library not found. Please check your iTunes installation'

..when selecting 'Install application on the connected iOS device' from the 'Post Publishing' section under the 'Deployment' tab in the 'AIR for iOS settings' dialog box

This used to work? Any ideas?

For now, I can manually use iTunes to add the file to the device, but this does slow down work flow considerably.

Thanks,

Alan.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

installing version 12.1.3 of iTunes failed to solve the problem for me.  i needed version 12.1.2 to solve the problem:

1) Un-install Apple Application support 32 bit/64 bit, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, and iTunes

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files and delete the Apple folder

3) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files and delete the Apple folder

4) Go to C:\Users\<your user name>\music\iTunes and delete the .itl file

5) Download and install version 12.1.2 of iTunes: Download Apple iTunes 12.1.2 for Windows 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 103 Replies 103
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested this on another PC running Flash Pro CC and ITunes 11.0.5.5 (the same version) and it worked fine, so it's probably some configuration problem with my Flash Installation (I've already installed a newer version of ITunes)

Is there a way to completely reset the installation defaults in Flash Pro CC without re-installing from scratch?

Thanks,

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried removing iTunes completely and re-installing from scratch and holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift when starting Flash and deleteing all preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried contacting Adobe Customer Support who had no idea and then creating a new user account and trying from there with the same problem.

I also upgraded to IOS7 on the target device to be published to and upgrading iTunes to 11.1.1.11 but still get the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of the error if it helps...

iTunesMobileDevice-error-screenshot1.png

I have also tried removing and re-installing the following: ITunes, QuickTime, Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour and Apple Application Support.

I'm pretty sure it's an error in the Flash Professional setup somewhere as the same version of Itunes and Flash Pro CC work fine on my Mac.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature has NEVER worked for me, so I am skeptical there is any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as if someone else has the problem:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1438485

I don't know why adobe can't work out what is going on here? It takes such a long time to go through the iTunes process of getting apps onto the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now over a year since I posted this and I still haven't found a solution. Both Flash and iTunes have had major new versions but I still have the problem. (and it still works on my Mac)

When I am compiling apps to test on the iPad it takes a considerable amount of time to get each version onto the iPad but when the Post Publishing button worked it was really quick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into the same thing! Never had any trouble with this and it was working fine just this morning, then iTunes helpfully offered to update. I let it, and now I can't debug!

Going through iTunes to install does work, but it's not really that useful since you can't debug that way. I was in the middle of troubleshooting something and without trace() it's going to be an enormous pain, I'll have to put an on-screen console output in place or something...

I tried manually copying both MobileDevice.dll and iTunesMobileDevice.dll to the Windows directory, Windows/System32, the same directory as idb.exe, since running "idb.exe -devices" as suggested in some other thread I found indicates that one of those DLLs is the problem. I thought maybe the update had placed the DLLs in a different place or something. I tried installing a fresh copy of the latest AIR beta, reinstalling and repairing iTunes. Nothing works.

From the error messages it seems like something changed in iTunes and Air just doesn't know how to deal with it. But like you said it works on some systems and not others. And it's not just Flash CC, I'm using FlashBuilder 4.7 -- so I think it's an Air problem, not a Flash IDE/FB issue.

Interesting note -- Overdrive Media Console also cannot transfer media (audiobooks from my library) to my iPhone, when I did it as recently as a couple of days ago. I assume it uses the same MobileDevice service. Apple must have changed something, so Adobe may be right -- it's Apple's fault (unless you want to fault Adobe for not updating to keep up with Apple, which is a perfectly valid complaint!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get mine working again. Tried many, many things but in the end what I ended up doing was uninstalling Apple Application Support (both 32 and 64 bit versions), Apple Mobile Device Support, and iTunes itself using the Control Panel, then reinstalling version 12.0.1 which is what I had before I updated and was able to find available for download via Google. It didn't work the first time I tried that, but did after a second try. Make sure you've seen and accepted a "Trust this computer?" alert on the iDevice too, I'm not sure I had seen that after the first try. I also had to unplug my iPhone and plug it in again after installing before iTunes recognized it.

Now I don't know what exactly finally fixed it, it may be that I could have installed 12.1 again and had it work, and something in the uninstall/reinstall process reset a setting that was causing the problem. But I'm not taking any chances and will leave it alone for now -- I don't actually use iTunes for much of anything anyway, and this is probably the last time I will update this app and I'm planning on switching to something other than Air for any future apps I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mobile device wiki specifically says this is the location of the Mobile Device Library:

• Location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\iTunesMobileDevice.dll (Program Files (x86) on 64-bit)

If your iTunesMobileDevice.dll is not in the correct spot, then no porgrams will be able to find the .dll.

I have the same problem and I have been trying to get the directories fixed but no luck so far.

My guess is that my computer runs on a 64 bit operating system and the new release still installs the main files in a 32 bit standard. Hense the reason why the program looks in the Program 86x files instead of the regular program files.

This is most likely both apple's and Adobe's fault. Apple's for not installing it correctly or changing the way their file system works and it is adobe's fault for perhaps not checking that it may be in the programming files instead.

Just a theory. I will still try to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help brandandarby and tomc2652178

Unfortunately I still can't get mine working, but that's good news that at least some people with the problem have fixed it.

I have tried multiple times by uninstalling all Apple software and then only installing the 'iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)' setup above, but I still get the same error?

The iPad can be seen in iTunes and also in the Windows Explorer 'Computer' window under 'portable devices' where I can access photos and video from the device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also checked for the file manually in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

And it is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I strongly suspect there's an element of chance at work here too. The person that started this thread over a year ago was having the same issue with a much older version, and people with the same exact setup don't have the problem while others do. In my case it also broke OverDrive Media Console, so it's not just Air/Flash/Flex.

It feels like during updates, something sometimes goes wrong -- like maybe the new version doesn't update a path somewhere in the settings. In my case going back to the same version I last had installed and working seemed to do it, but only after uninstalling/reinstalling twice. No idea how that's even possible... Probably uninstalling and clearing out all settings using RegEdit or something might do the trick because it definitely leaves a lot of settings behind when uninstalling.

If you know exactly which version you had working last and can find an installer for it, I'd try that, and may uninstalling/reinstalling a couple of times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how much chance is put into this. I carefully kept track of all the folders and files that were installed each time I installed iTunes. Nothing changed. No matter how many times you may install a program it will still keep the files in the same place unless you have a conflict such as a folder with the same name. But I suspect that he wasn't playing around in his programming files. I probaby re-istalled the most recent iTunes 8x with out any change. Even with uninstalling everything. I finnally had the idea of bit file misplacement when I installed an older version of itunes and shifted through the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

1) Windows 8

2)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple:

Apple Application Support

Mobile Device Support

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple:

CoreFP

Mobile Device Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the bit of your computer specifically. 32 bit or 64 bit? @ Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please list the following info so I may help you.

1) Operating System

2) The Folder names in this location of your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple

and

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple

( this may help me get an idea of what may be out of place )

The problem is the way the application is installed. The file locations matter. Thats why flash is looking for the file and can't find it. There are many reasons why flash may not still be able to find it. 1)  iTunes is installed incorrectly ( not your fault ). 2) You might have a diferent bit program of flash professional. But I am almost positive adobe installs their programs depending on the bit of one's computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

1 - Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 - 64bit

2 - In

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple -

CoreFP

Mobile Device Support

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple -

CoreFP (only contains file 'CoreFP.dll)

Mobile Device Support (contains 'drivers' folder, 'NetDrivers' folder and 1 file - 'OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll'

Note that in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support' folder are all these:

AirTrafficHost.dll

AppleMobileBackup.exe

AppleMobileBackup_main.dll

AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe

AppleMobileDeviceHelper.resources

AppleMobileDeviceHelper_main.dll

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

AppleMobileDeviceService_main.dll

AppleMobileSync.exe

AppleMobileSync_main.dll

AppleSyncMapiInterface.dll

AppleSyncMapiInterfaceHelper_x64.exe

ATH.dll

ATH.exe

ATH_main.dll

com.apple.IE.client.exe

com.apple.IE.client.resources

com.apple.IE.client_main.dll

com.apple.MobileSync.client.resources

com.apple.Outlook.client.exe

com.apple.Outlook.client.resources

com.apple.Outlook.client_main.dll

com.apple.Safari.client.exe

com.apple.Safari.client.resources

com.apple.Safari.client_main.dll

com.apple.WindowsContacts.client.exe

com.apple.WindowsContacts.client.resources

com.apple.WindowsContacts.client_main.dll

com.apple.WindowsMail.client.exe

com.apple.WindowsMail.client.resources

com.apple.WindowsMail.client_main.dll

DeviceLink.dll

iSyncConduit.dll

iTunesMobileDevice.dll

libcurl.dll

libeay32.dll

MDCrashReportTool.exe

MDCrashReportTool_main.dll

Mingler.exe

Mingler_main.dll

MobileDevice.dll

OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll

output.txt

ssleay32.dll

SyncDiagnostics.exe

SyncDiagnostics_main.dll

syncli.exe

syncli_main.dll

SyncPlanObserver.exe

SyncPlanObserver_main.dll

SyncServer.exe

SyncServer_main.dll

SyncServices

SyncServices.dll

SyncServicesUI.dll

SyncServicesUI.Resources

SyncUICore.dll

SyncUICore.Resources

SyncUIHandler.exe

SyncUIHandlerDll.dll

SyncUIHandler_main.dll

upgradedb.exe

upgradedb_main.dll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might have your solution. The problem was the file placement. Even though my graphics card is a high end gpu I still installed this version because it is the most recent and the files install correctly. This fixed my Mobile Device Library not found error.

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just ran in to this problem after updating itunes. simple uninstall/reinstall did not fix

its also the same problem for "unable to enumerate devices" in adt

I did fix it though with the help of this thread thanks everyone!

uninstalled apple application support 32 and 64bit,  apple mobile device support and itunes

then I installed "itunes for older video cards" that brandandarby posted.

thanks again....any time I touch I tunes it f*cking bombs my computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear that. Please try to hit the like button if that helped so people may find the answer quicker.

But the reason this is happening is most likely on 64 bit computers the main iTunes files are being stored in Program Files rather than Program( 86x ) files. If you have a 64x bit computer and iTunes wants to install it in Program Files, this might not be the program you want then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right -- it's definitely a file placement issue but no amount of moving that DLL around helped. Probably there's a path stored somewhere that's wrong. This sounds like a likely fix -- the version of iTunes for older cards probably installs different support files or something. I'm downloading and will hold on to it in case something goes wrong, but I don't dare actually try it now that mine's working again considering that I don't actually use iTunes for anything except this and copying things to/from my iOS devices, both of which work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to say thank you to brandanarby! I have been troubleshooting this one for a while. I uninstalled all of the Apple apps and reinstalled using the link he provided and my device is now being detected in Flash. Thank you sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines