Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe director 12 license key

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Download & Install to Animate.]

I have some director application that we started using in an exhibition in 2008.  I need to be able to make small alterations for screen aspect ratio and PC change.  I have a trial director 12 but it keeps crashing.  Any suggestions please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums).

The Director Forum is here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/director/kb/director-online-forums.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those old Macromedia newsgroups are long gone. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Director is dead.  SWF is dead.  Flash is dead.  So even if you had the original installation disk and serial number, it's still a dead technology that's unusable.  I think it's fair to say you need to start over with Animate CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for this.  I downloaded 'Animate' but could do with a worked example to get me started.  All the application does is have a menu on screen 1 ( a kiosk) and then clicking the menu it shows a video on screen 2 (a wall mounted screen).  Can you point me towards a relatent example please?

Lawrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, use HTML5 code with the <video> tag and MP4 video file.  Every modern browser on Earth can play MP4 video.  No special players or equipment required.  All you need is a plain text/code editor.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

================
CODE EDITORS:
-- Adobe Dreamweaver CC - https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html
-- Atom (free) - https://atom.io/
-- Codespaces (free, browser-based) - https://github.com/features/codespaces
-- Nova (Mac only, formerly called Coda) - https://nova.app/
-- Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/
-- Sublime Text - http://www.sublimetext.com/
-- Visual Studio Code (free) - https://code.visualstudio.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy: how might a Mac user open old Director files on modern hardware? The 11.5 trial gives me the "PowerPC not supported" message (which makes sense — that's ancient relatively speaking!) Really just need to open things enough to take some screenshots of an old project. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way that I know of.  Director is ancient and will never work on modern equipment.  Short of finding an old Power PC with a supporting OS, I have no other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shucks... was afraid of that 😕

Appreciate the quick reply — cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add to the discussion. While Director is ancient, it still works on modern equipment. Windows is easier than Mac but still can work. I recently updated a Director made application I ade for a client who is still using it effectively (on Windows). 

There are ways to upgrade or extract content from old Director files if you have the right tools. I have helped people with this, even recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They still make Director? I thought they killed that software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They still make Director? I thought they killed that software. 

By @Nicktendo28

No. Director is no longer under development. Adobe stopped updating the product in 2013. They still sold it and updated Shockwave until 2017. From early 2017, Director was oficially at the end of life.

There are still people that work with Director - obviously not too many. There are some Made with Director products around that sill work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I have started using the Vioso player in html5 and in many ways it is a better suited to the kiosk application I am maintaining. Its very easy to programme and has all the control I need.

Lawrie Boarer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In 2014, I bought a standalone copy of Adobe Director 12 from a 3rd party seller and have been using it successfully since.
A few weeks ago, I bought a new laptop and attempted to install Director 12 to that but was informed that my licence had been revoked.

On enquiry, I was diverted to a staff member, who informed me that the seller was never an approved Adobe seller and had sold me the software illegally. Clearly this was a failing of the company, not one to be passed down to the paying customer, so I asked if I could have my serial number reinstated, or a new serial number created, as I already have the installer and the reciept of purchase. (Bearing in mind that this is discontinued software and at no cost to the company).

They were extremely unhelpful and insisted on upselling me the Adobe CC suite, which if course, does not contain the discontinued Adobe Director 12. 

As I've a partially finished product which took considerable time to create, I'm eager to get up and running.

Adobe customer services sent me here, stating "an expert will get your query answered." That query is, how do I get my purchased-with-receipt and revoked serial reinstated?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Software User 

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Were you talking to someone at Adobe from the text chat area? The person hasn't given good advice to come here for a solution as:
- Most people here are not staff of Adobe so can't help with software activation other than troubleshooting.
- There isn't even a Director specific forum anymore so attention to this product is almost non-existant.

I can try help. Just to confirm, when you go to your Adobe account and go to registered products (as in the link below), do you not see Director?
https://account.adobe.com/products

I would suggest trying to contact Adobe again through the chat and hope you get someone more experienced to address your situation.

Another question, have you tried installing Director 12 and now it is in the 30 day trial period?

You can also contact me directly by messaging me and I can help by publishing a Director file if needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really wasn't expecting one.

Yep, it's basically the second scenario you mentioned. I actually hadn't registered my Director 12 as I don't think I was prompted to, but I had noticed that the licence for it wasn't listed along with my licences for Photoshop CS6 and Audition over on the licencing site. Just thought that was something to do with the way Adobe handles discontinued software. I registered the serial recently on the accounts.adobe site and was able to download the setup again (I tend to keep backups of those anyway, so it wasn't a big issue) but yeah, once installed, it asked for ym serial to get it out of Trial Mode. I copied that from my email receipt and was informed that it's been revoked. In a nutshell, it seems to be stuck in 30 day trial mode. 😞

It's a bit of a pain as I've been through quite a few people in customer services and none seem able to help. Reaching a bit of dead end with this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of seeing the Adobe product and serial number in your  Adobe account area, that's just if you manually registered it some time in the past. I have Drector 12 there but not other versions which I may not have added to my registrations. I was  thinking that if it does show in your account, it would indicate it was approved by Adobe at some point.  

So, besides getting someone else at Adobe, not quite sure what else to suggest. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dean, Much appreciated. It is a doozie, eh. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not even sure if the license system still functions for Director.

Dean and others (including me) are subscribed to Direct-L still, and I do see posts now and then. It may be worth asking there as well. You can subscribe here:

http://listserv.uark.edu/archives/direct-l.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Awesome. Thanks Colin. I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines