Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate 2019 HTML5 textinput component set value

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to set the value of a textinput HTML5 component and I am using a document.getElementById('my_textinput') method (of course 'my_textinput' is the instance name).

I am getting null from that and I am suspecting that the component is not yet initialized when I am calling the above.

Is there any eventListener I can add to the symbol (like onload or oncreatecompletion etc) that can help with this?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

use a loop (tick or setInterval, eg) to check for its initialization (and you can use jquery if you want because the library is added when you add a component).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

I found the "attached" event is what jQuery triggers in the component sdk (anwidget.js)

this.my_textinput.on("attached", () => $("#my_textinput")[0].value = "your value");

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use a loop (tick or setInterval, eg) to check for its initialization (and you can use jquery if you want because the library is added when you add a component).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was hoping for an event to tell you the truth, bt I will go with a hack like that you described.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

p.s.  here's code i suggested to someone else:

var video;
function checkInitF() {
if (video) {
video.addEventListener("ended", function(){
// video ended. do whatever
});
} else {
video = $("#videoPlayer")[0];
setTimeout(checkInitF, 100);
}
}
checkInitF();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any eventListener I can add to the symbol (like onload or oncreatecompletion etc) that can help with this?"

Yes.

this.my_textinput.addEventListener("added", initInput);

function initInput() {
     document.getElementById("myVideo").value = "banana";
}

But if this is to set the initial value, why aren't you just entering that in the component parameters dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. The componenet has an initial value which might be altered by an API call before it enters the stage. It is a game setting (player username) which should display the value from the server if  the player has an account or remain 'Type your desired username'. The strange thing is that the response from the server comes before the initialization of the component so I couldn't update the text input value at that time but I had to wait for the component to be ready.

I am facing a lot of such 'weird' mismatches, like setting a movieclip to a specific frame and then seeing it resetting at 0 with no reason (obviously when completing initialization).

I think I miss something between flash/as3 and animate/js conversion regarding the frame loop and object updating. 

Any advise for a good book covering advanced developer topics in Animate CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the "attached" event is what jQuery triggers in the component sdk (anwidget.js)

this.my_textinput.on("attached", () => $("#my_textinput")[0].value = "your value");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines