• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate CC drawing bug for Windows 10 Tablet PC users.

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is NOT solved

Animate CC has a serious bug pertaining to all Tablet PC devices using Windows 10, whenever you start to draw you will receive a lag that draws a straight line from where you started to put your pen down to wherever your stylus is at the time the lag is complete.

I would like to start by showing how real and sever this bug has been to the Animate CC community by referring to past forums I have found regarding this very same issue that goes back as far as 2013. All these posts are by the various professional users who are not able to use Animate CC properly on their tablet PC device. Many of these users (including me) need to use Animate CC as a source of income. Please take a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/adobeanimate/comments/fuqjen/straight_lines_at_beginning_of_brush_strokes/?...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2519059

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1427773

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9859004#9859004

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1515604

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/adobe-flash-professionalanimate-cc-brush-strok...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1236230

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/5zba7h/ive_read_everywhere_that_animate_cc_doesnt/deyn7fd/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpronew-surfupdate/new-surface-pro-drawing-bug-...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2178683

From what I can tell this issue is part Microsoft windows Ink's doing and part Adobe's doing. Microsoft released their Windows Ink update a few years back which did not sit well with many Adobe users. Over time Adobe has been able to accommodate this change by Microsoft, but has not yet solved all the issues for Adobe Animate CC leaving it's users wondering why there is no fix and resorting to reverting back to Windows 7 or abandoning Animate CC altogether for other animation packages. It's been very frustrating using Animate CC to draw because of the initial drawing line bug for many tablet users. For Adobe developers working on AnimateCC, I'll tell you everything I know in hopes of making this your top priority. The below image contains blue circles that I drew to demonstrate the issue. I'm using the absolute latest version of AnimateCC and Windows 10.  This issue persists on AES, N-Trig and EMR devices. So yes, Surface Book users will experience all these pains when trying to use Animate CC. I circled the problem areas in red which are essentially the initial start to the drawing of the circles. Ironically the red circles are also warped due to this bug. Keep in mind that I'm a professional artist and drawing circles is common practice for me. Pay notice unintentional lines that are created from my brushstrokes.

Below are some more circles but drawn with Adobe Photoshop CC on the same machine to show you the difference.

Let's look deeper into this issue. A big clue is that Windows uses screen holds to simulate right clicks. Below you can see this in action and how it relates to the issue. The radial matches up with the initial drawing line. Keep in mind that with Hold Right clicks turned on I am NOT able to draw until I cross that radial threshold.  You are not able to see it in the below animation but I am scribbling inside that radial circle during the time it looks like my cursor is frozen in the center. Only When I leave the radial area does my line begin to pick up.

DrawLineBug.gif

Now lets turn off Hold To Right Click

Just like previously, when the below cursor animation freezes I'm actually scribbling around a bit before I leave that now invisible radial area (at which point I'm not able to draw) and the drawing picks up with that straight line. If you are thinking in your head "this guy is claiming he can't draw dots or tiny circles" then you are correct.

DrawLineBug02.gif

but let's go ahead an turn on that Microsoft legacy patch that everyone's been talking about for photoshop (which is not needed currently with Photoshop CC). Then restart flash

what seems to be happening in the animation below is that the radial area seems to have gotten a lot smaller (maybe 1/5 the size) but still receiving the line drawing lag.

DrawLineBug03.gif

The faster you draw the more obvious and large that lag line becomes so the patch doesn't really fix much.

DrawLineBug04.gif

Below is just demonstrate how consistently bad this bug is. This is me trying to draw semi-circles. Red AnimateCC / Black Photoshop

DrawLineBug05.gifDrawLineBug06.gif

Please, please, please fix this bug as I need to make a living animating using AnimateCC. I have been a loyal Animate CC user for many years and have integrated Animate CC into many great projects. I do not wish to leave Animate CC and begin working with a new package, but unfortunately, I don't have much of an option at this point.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Hi,

Appologise for the time it took to make progress on this. The latest Animate update 20.0.3 comes with a Windows Ink (Beta) Tablet Input option. This is actually amied to resolve this issue. Would really appreciate if you guys can try out this option and share your feedback

Edit > Preferences > Drawing > Tablet Input > Windows Ink (Beta).

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/animate/using/whats-new/2020-1.html#windows_ink

Thanks!

Mohan  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am checking with the team and will get back to you as soon as I have a  response.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has revived itself. It actually revived itself many months ago, but it's hard for me to continuously try to bring this issue to your attention. I did not install any drivers that I know of that would have revived this issue, it just sort of found it's way back and I can't keep formatting my computer every time I hope to get rid of this pen lag bug. I noticed this issue does not occur on Adobe Photoshop and Autodesk Sketchbook so there must be something Adobe Animate team can do to fix this issue. Every so often I see a new thread on Reddit or some other platform of another user experiencing this issue. The 2 in 1 Tablet (where this issue usually is apparent) market is a huge market and I really do think the Adobe Animate team should support it. I can help provide all I know about this issue. Please feel free to be in touch with me if you need any further details, and let the team know the issue is NOT solved.
thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all those of you that are facing this issue, I apologize for your experience. Please share your feedback to the team directly using this link Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This describes my issue to a T. I'm currently working off a Microsoft Surface Pro 6. Like janimator0 described, all other software seems to be working swimmingly.

Initially I will have this issue on my desktop or laptop machines with my Cintiq, but can be easily remedied by disabling the "Press-and-hold" feature. This does not work on my tablet-PC.

I have submitted a bug report. This is incredibly important as it renders the software useless for me on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After seeing the reply to you... .Is Adobe actually responding to our issues? That would be amazing and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for your frustration. From my understanding, while Adobe Animate officially supports only Wacom devices, the team is doing its best to ensure compliance with Surface Pro. I will bring this post to the team's attention to see if they have anything else to add.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem occurs with the samsung notebook series as well as the 'surface pro'.

Thank you for your efforts I hope the error will be resolved as soon as possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont believe you. I think this is a passive aggressive removal of Animate functionality. At least have the guts to admit your decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely get your not wanting to believe me, and I apologize for the fact that you feel that way. The team tells me that the issue is being fixed on priority and you should see an update with the fix in a future update this year. I request your patience until then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, thanks for replying. I hope we get a fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread when I confused about this bug on Surface Pro 6.

I believe that this bug will be removed soon. I appreciate your kind response and I sincerely respect you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Animate CC 2020 still has this bug. A straight line makes me sad.

"you should see an update with the fix in a future update this year." --- What does it mean?

If it is impossible, please declare "We are not going to support Microsoft Surface Pro."

Of course I know the Animate team has many tasks to do, but I am tired of waiting for an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you. I'm not sure if they don't realize how bad this bug is for artists. It literally renders the software useless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been following this issue for a while now and wanted to check in. You mentioned there would be an update to this in 2019, however I am still experiencing this issue. Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that "Adobe Animate officially supports only Wacom devices". I dont find that true cause my tablet is a Wacom Intuos and I'm having this bug happening to me. And I'm doing a 7 day trial and I only have 2 days left. So I feel like my trial was wasted cause of this bug. I loved this program when I was in my animation class in high school and I thought to try a trail to see if I wanted to buy it. But now I dont know if I want too if the bug is not being solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having the exact same problem as everyone else had, I'm using Gaomon M106K. I managed to solve it however, by going into the windows ink settings and turning off 'Visual Effects', 'Cursor' and the other two tick able boxes. After I did that, I had to restart Animate, once it rebooted I drew some lines without any straight starts. Now I'm able to draw with no issues at all. 

I hope this helps. If not, maybe try turning off any other settings that are turned on in the window ink settings. 

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you did and it solved the problem. Thanks! (I have a Surface Studio.)

Mark Stivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That won't work for me because I use my mouse and I'm not using a tablet because I hate them but I think if I get an older version of Animate it might be solved because it only happens on my computer on that specific program with that specific tool when i use the vector brush instead of the fill brush it doesn't have that problem. very confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: the below only fixed the issue for a day or two. The issue has come back. I dont want anyone to think that this issue is resolved. It is not.

So magically after multiple formats and countless hours, I was able to get the stylus working properly on Adobe Animate CC using the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro laptop! The main issue is that the Samsung drivers that you are asked to install seem to interfere with the way the stylus works with Animate CC.  What I did to make sure that my Notebook 9 pro worked properly is:

1)     Format Windows 10 and start from scratch.

2)     Let Windows 10 Automatically update all the drivers that it finds

3)     Download Samsung Update but DO NOT install all the drivers. (The download from their website wouldn't run properly, and told me that I do not have permission to install that software even though I am Admin, so I contacted support and they sent me a link to some other version of Samsung Update that does work, The file is named "SamsungUpdate_2.2.9.42",  but don't have the link).

4)     Install only the important drivers and anything else that is NOT pen related drivers. The only obvious useful drivers that I needed were the drivers for the keyboard backlight and chipset drivers.

Sorry, I couldn't be more detailed in the setup instruction, but the main point is to not install any Samsung pen drivers. I also uninstalled the Samsung Update application afterward in fear that it will automatically update the stylus bug back into my laptop.  I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but I noticed that one time after installing the Samsung pen drivers, "Windows 10 pen Flicks" were turned on my machine, even though they were deprecated from Windows 10. Due to this, I had no way of turning off Window Flicks and they were definitely causing issues. I didn't want to try finding a Windows registry fix so I formatted my Windows 10 and avoided installing any pen related drivers and it worked!  I hope this helps everyone who is an Animate CC user and owns a "Notebook 9 pro". I imagine a similar solution would be for other devices that are experiencing the same issues. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I finally get a chance to use Animate CC on the go again ( All the new Animate CC features are really great btw! I love the revamp!! ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time to share your solution here. It should help other users with a similar issue.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to make sure it's clear that the issue still remains and that I continue to find new professional users that are handicapped by this bug. 

Some of which have moved on to using different animation software outside of adobe specifically because of this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue on Dell Latitude 3590 computers, using Huion Inspiroy H430P tablets. I don't think that the samsung fix will work for me. Adobe, is there something else that I might be able to do to get this issue fixed? I'm teaching adobe programs in Middle school and they would love to learn animate but they get very frustrated when this issue arises. Whatever you guys can do to help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank You,

-Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines