• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

any way to export or share the Tagged Swatches between files?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export (save) the color panel with Tagged Swatches. For some mysterious reasons, it only saves the normal swatches, but not the Tagged Swatches. Obviously we are in the 21st century, and I am a bit baffled - what's the point of having Tagged Swatches, if you can't reuse them in another file?!

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Here are a few tricks that might help:

1. You could copy an item that contains a tagged swatch and paste it into another document. Then it will add that tagged swatch to that file.
  2. You could add an animation to your CC Libraries. That animation will include the tagged swatches.
  3. You could make a FLA that has nothing else in it besides your tagged swatches and save it as a template. The tagged swatches will be included in each new document using that template.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a few tricks that might help:

1. You could copy an item that contains a tagged swatch and paste it into another document. Then it will add that tagged swatch to that file.
  2. You could add an animation to your CC Libraries. That animation will include the tagged swatches.
  3. You could make a FLA that has nothing else in it besides your tagged swatches and save it as a template. The tagged swatches will be included in each new document using that template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - we already found out about option 1 and that's what we are gonna use for our project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Option 1 worked out alright?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using the Tagged swatches for a while, I have come to a conclusion, that whoever developed this, still has a loooong way to go for this to actually be useful.

1. Copy/pasting an object containing tagged swatches indeed pastes them into the swatches library, but at the same time, if a swatch already exists with the same name, it creates a copy. And even worse - if I copy/paste any shape containing an existing swatch, Animate will always create a copy version of the same swatch, which is exactly opposite of the idea of keeping a tagged swatch! I often end up with 10 new "-copy" swatches only because I copy/pasted some drawings. Ridiculous!

2. Overwriting tagged swatches is impossible, therefore, if I need to change a color over several files, it means I literally have to go and edit each one of the swatches that need a change (it would be nice to have the possibility to replace them, just like we can do with symbols).

3. No way to see Swatches names at all times, only by hovering over them, so if you have many swatches, it takes much time to find the right one.

I don't want to go further into this, but just to say, that Tagged Swatches are far from being helpful, and any little mistake will result in a lot of wasted time...

I'm not sure why this answer is marked correct - it's merely a set of lousy workarounds, (no offense, I would have answered the same) - is Adobe trying to pet their ego, and create an illusion of perfect paradise, where all questions have answers, or what??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  This tagged swatch feature is bare-bones for sure and doesn't warrant this "correct answer".  What I really would like to see (and this thread is five years old, so I have zero hope), would be for tagged swatches to be able to be shared across multiple files the same way symbols can be shared (author-time/run-time sharing).  I want to set up colors in ONE file and have multiple files using those colors so that I can change the colors in all files simply by changing the original palette.  What a concept. 

I am not going to be holding my breath.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh.. I appreciate the insight, but I was hoping for a better answer. Thanks for saving me from the wormhole of duplicate tagged swatches before I ended up trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines