• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Lip Sync and moving head

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Auto Lip sync seems a nice feature to have.

I have seen several tutorials on this and all work fine except when the moth is moving around together with the mouth.

The symbol of the mouth stops moving when using Auto Lip Sync. Is there a workaround for this?All the tutorials I have seen ara all with heads that don't move.

So my Mouth symbol (in a seperate layer) moves together with my head, but after using auto lip sync, the mouth symbol doesn't move anymore

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

According to good rigging practice mouth should be nested inside the head symbol, not tweened around to match the movement of the head.

Lip sync happens inside the head symbol; that is why the head appears static. It is animated on the outside.

Only reason to tween the mouth would be nods or smooth, slow head turns.

This in-depth article on character rigging I wrote recently may be of interest.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to good rigging practice mouth should be nested inside the head symbol, not tweened around to match the movement of the head.

Lip sync happens inside the head symbol; that is why the head appears static. It is animated on the outside.

Only reason to tween the mouth would be nods or smooth, slow head turns.

This in-depth article on character rigging I wrote recently may be of interest.

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense. I'll redo the rigging. Thanks for the article. Look like a good read, i will look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to build on this topic or start a new thread. But I'm having this issue also. But when I nest the mouth symbol inside the head symbol, the mouth doesn't talk. It only seems to talk for me when the mouth is outside the head symbol. I've tried moving the audio inside and outside the head symbol, but neither causes the mouth to move. I'm having the same issue with moving the eyeball when nested inside the head, so I've been putting both the eyes and mouth outside the head symbol so that I can move the eyes. But this causes a bunch of issues for me.

I've read the article you posted and watched the videos. It's incredibly useful, but I'm still running into this issue. Is it maybe a software issue? With me, it's safe to assume it's user error. Is there any way for me to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

You have to set the head symbol to Play Once, so that it plays in sync with the character timeline. Then all animation that is inside will be visible on the outside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely hope that you are paid well for this. You are always so friendly, incredibly helpful, and surprisingly quick with your support. You have single-handedly kept me from switching programs out of frustration on three separate occasions. As always, THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help, mate!

I'm not paid for this. I'm not one of the 'Community professionals'.

It just costs me nothing while working on my stuff, to stop for a minute and write a couple of sentences when I know the answer and I see someone getting stuck 🙂

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way! Well, bless you for being so awesome. If I was an executive at Adobe, I'd get you on the payroll ASAP. 

Thank you, again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, sorry to revive this thread. I am struggling understanding how to fix this issue.
So I have my audio layer in the parent, normal timeline. If I lip sync there, it's fine, but it won't be tied to the head.
If I make the head a symbol, and have the mouth symbol within the head symbol, and do auto-sync, I have no option to sync with the audio, since it's not an audio layer in the symbol.

So how do I sync a mouth within a nested symbol, if the audio layer is above?
I can't copy the audio in the symbol because the starting points are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I'm understanding your issue correctly, putting the audio inside the head symbol (for sync) and on the main timeline (for play) will fix it. Both. Keep the mouth inside the head symbol and match up the sync starting points in the main and head timeline.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines