• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Walk Cycle is in a Symbol but I now need character to do new movements

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I animated a character's walk cycle inside a symbol, however, I now need the character in this scene to do new movements. I'm still quite new to Animate so what do you do with a symbol animation in a scene when you need to animate new actions for that character? On my main timeline, I no longer have my character's layers there to animate individually since they are now inside the symbol's timeline. Do I paste the layers back in the main timeline and start animating from there? Or do I keep animating inside the symbol timeline? I'm thinking that continuing animating inside the symbol is not the right course of action since I want the symbol to just be the walk cycle. I'm honestly not sure if this is totally silly question or if it even makes sense, it's hard to describe! Thanks so much for any guidance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a Graphic symbol, you can have full control in teh main timeline via keyframes. 

JosephLabrecque_0-1685293896617.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Joseph! I've watched some of your helpful tutorials on Youtube. Yes, I am using a graphic symbol for this. Although, not thinking ahead, I may have made a mistake by deleting the frames of my character on the main timeline -- thinking I no longer needed them since I put the layers in a symbol. Would I need to have kept the layers on the main timeline in order to have full control on the main timeline with the graphic symbol? Not sure if that's how it works, or otherwise? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just to clarify what I'm trying to do, I want to keep the walk cycle just the way it is -- I'm just wondering what do I do with this symbol now that I need to animate the character doing the next action after the walk cycle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can duplicate the cycle's symbol, set the duplicate to 'play once' and start the non-cyclical animation from the frame you want. For example you can animate the character stopping and the following acting sequence.

OR

You can break apart that walk symbol, and distribute your stuff to layers on the external timeline, and animate there.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines