• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash - CPU Usage - FPS - Frame Rate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2008 Dec 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I first want to apologize if this problem has been answered and fixed before, but I have spent days pouring over forums, and I still can not fix my problem. It requires a little bit of background first:

I can't remember how long ago it started, but whenever I am viewing a flash file (a game, videos from youtube, advertisements, etc.) My CPU usage increases to 99-100% and remains there until I close the program that is running it, or go to a different webpage. I normally use firefox, so for the longest time I was searching for the problem relating to firefox exclusively. I came across FlashBlock, and I still use it in Firefox. However, this is not a SOLUTION to the problem, just a "work around." If I actually want to view the flash content - bye bye CPU usage.

So for the longest time I focused on firefox. I completely uninstalled and removed flash and firefox from my computer, and reinstalled. I even tried it with an older version of flash, because I can't remember always having this problem, and the problem persisted. But now I have everything up to date, and the problem is still there.

Then I decided to use IE for a little bit because I was upset at Firefox. I was surprised when I was on youtube, or playing a flash game, that my CPU went up to 100% and remained there. SO instead of googling "flash firefox cpu" I just googled "flash cpu" and I have been doing some research/experimenting. I am - by no means - a very technical person or a programmer, I am an ordinary user that is upset about this problem. I went to this page http://www.bezzmedia.com/swfspot/samples/beginner/Show_the_Current_Frames_Per_Second and watched my cpu usage go up to 100. But when the animation goes to a lower fps, from about 1-5, my cpu usage goes down, but only to about 80. So what happens is I can do control-alt-delete and watch the performance tab's graph. After letting it run for a while, I get almost an perfect, symmetrical mountainous "landscape" if that makes sense - with bumps up to a hundred, and coming down to about 80. It is so consistent that I am positive my system cannot handle even normal frame rates for some reason. However, I am running on XP Pro with a Pentium 4 2.80GHz processor and 2.5 gigs of RAM and I should not even be having this problem - I can run tons of programs and not have my cpu usage go above even 50, but a flash video puts it at 100. It is ridiculous! I don't have a virus or anything, and I actually take pride in keeping my computer clean and efficient. It happens to all users on the computer as well.

Again, I am not a programmer. Is there some option somewhere that I can tell my flash content to reduce its frame rate, or not go above a certain number? It seems that many people are having this problem. I think I remember someone somewhere saying that with the newer versions, they are trying to perform "better" than an older version you had, and the frames per second increases, but I have no idea if this is true. Should I roll back to a later version, like 5? I already tried it back on version 9 but I still had the problem.

The "ideal" solution is to figure out what is going on with the frame rate on my computer. Maybe if I could just right click the flash, and tell it to play a lower fps? Does hardware acceleration have to do with this? Also, changing the "quality" of the flash content from low to high or medium doesn't affect the cpu usage - it stays at 100%.

Please help out an ignorant person if you can. I want to preserve the life of my computer as long as possible. If someone could help me - in layman's terms - I would greatly appreciate it, and so would all the other upset people googling "flash cpu problem." Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of incredible how fast evrything's changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also still having this problem. CPU usage maxing out on youtube videos and other flash content.

WILL ADOBE EVER FIX THIS PROBLEM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the performance issue was solve with the latest releases from Flash Player. Which version currently do you have installed?

Don't blame the player only, depending on video quality, codec and so on. It's very CPU or GPU intensive to transcode a Video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if u having problems with yr cpu useage to 100%  u will not found a solution above in this thread/posts. I hope u are lucly and see the last post.(mine)

and don't waste yr time reading as I did.

I can say this about this CPU problem i have too. It may be a graphics card problem or O/S.

Before 3 days i had windows xp-sp1 and a video card =( ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR

and all things was fine. videos - games in browser...   steady CPU 0-10%

I upgrade to windows xp-sp2 and video card =( ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP

and the problem begin... cpu is on fire 80-100%

I update my drivers in latest and did some other things read in forums but nothing helped. 3 days now I am fighing to find a solution.

(sry for bad english)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put a vacuum cleaner hose next to fan output and took some of the dust that was inside. I was really surprised with the effect - now Flash media plays a lot better. However I will still open it to clean it up better, since I have seen the difference after basic cleaning already. I also don't recommend you the way I did it - it's completely not safe for your hardware. It's better to open it, take fan and a radiator out of it and then clean it up the way it should be done.

BTW, first I tried many things - including reinstalling my browser, flash, turning off all of unneeded plugins but it didn't help much. My laptop is 2yo and for last year it has been running 24/7.

I recommend you to clean it first and then loose your time on fighting with the software.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its time browsers pack their own flash players. crashes everywhere except on ipads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here we are, years after this thread was started and still people are having the very same problem. I found a useful article here:

http://www.caspianit.co.uk/youtube-taking-100-processor/

It doesn't fix the problem completely, but it did help me to speed things up quite a bit on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok adobe has finally fixed it.

Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102

works well with 1080p HD videos playing well below 10% of cpu.

only on windows

hope they soon fix the linux versions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/44/k/blabla.gif

Issue: While in-game, framerate suddenly drops from solid 60 fps to 53~54 fps or sometimes even to stable 30 fps (both in windowed and fullscreen mode). During this framerate drops cpu usage of a single core is maxed out, where it would be around 25% of a single core when running at 60 fps. Minimzing and maximizing the app solves the problem sometimes, and exiting to the main menu DOES NOT solve it.

How to reproduce: The only repeatable way that I've found to trigger the issue is, after opening the game (windowed and if the issue is not already present from the start), within the menu change the focus to the desktop, and then back to the game. When returning to the game the app starts maxing out a core.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's now official as to how adobe fooled customers ( ofcourse freely ) for 2-3 years for this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10#Adobe_Flash_integration .

The netbook is almost extinct now by this approach.Laptops are reportedly causing global warming. 
Market is owned by almost adobe's youtube (with monetization, ads and what nots) and hundreds of other tubes and temporarily facebook.
The flash player's (which is also a 'Freeware') Integration with IE at this point gives them the edge to be as heavyweight for other OSes while being smooth with already heavy windows 7 and 8. 

Adobe has become so powerful ( in terms of dependency as videos /visual media remains the most popular and effective )  that it can not only drain batteries, overheat CPUs but also decide hardware market  and make sure they are changed every couple of years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines