• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player "End of life" 2020

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been reading about Adobe's plan to "kill Flash" in 2020, but am slightly confused as to what it means. Every article I've read seems to only talk about the web Flash Player. Is this the only thing which is being discontinued? Or does Adobe plan to completely discontinue the .swf file format?

My work requires me to create projects and publish them in .swf, they're then included in presentations using 3rd party software and used for educational purposes. I believe the end result is contained in a .exe file so that the presenters don't require any version of Flash Player. But the presentations are never deployed on the web.

Does anyone know the specifics of what will and won't be supported after 2020? Ie, is it just the web player? Or will the desktop version of the player be discontinued as well? Or even worse, will Animate no longer allow publication in the .swf file format?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

SWF will continue to be developed, for use in projectors, AIR app, exporting animation to video, and for tools like you described. It's only Flash Player plugin that will not be developed after the end of 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF will continue to be developed, for use in projectors, AIR app, exporting animation to video, and for tools like you described. It's only Flash Player plugin that will not be developed after the end of 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Adobe Flex Builder which is used to compile action scripts to SWF files. ? Could you please confirm if support for Flex Builder will continue after 2020 and if there is any plan to end that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...Is this still true? Will the stand alone player still be around after the plug in dies? This thread (below) seems to state the opposite? I teach a simple animation course where we use the player/projector to view/critique and exchange short films. We don't do anything else with the .swf files. I am wondering if I will still be able to do this post 2020. Thanks for any insight?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/is-there-a-replacement-player-for-the-flash-player/td-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spamming this forum with the same question in multiple threads is not going to get you more answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't consider this to be spamming... to be honest I'm still looking for a definitive answer on the subject. The Adobe employee in the link above just seems to be copy/pasting the general response on the Flash Player plugin. 

I make projector files for touchscreen apps (large 50" screens at trade shows). Projector files are perfect for this purpose. Right now, I'm in limbo and unsure if I should continue with projector. The types of applications I am building will not translate well into HTML 5. I would have to switch to Unity (not my favorite application).

I honestly don't think Adobe knows what is going to happen going forward. At this point, I think it is just wait and see. I expect all projector files will work for at least some time after 2020... until Apple releases a version of OSX that prevents it from running on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, I hope you are well.

Your resonse from a couple years ago is reassuring. Do you know if it's still accurate?  I'm particularly interested in the longevity of the flash projector files after 2020.  I've seen other posts mentioning kill-switches built into the projector files that will render them useless after the new year.  You're a trusted voice in this community, do you know whether or not projectors will continue to work in 2021 and beyond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dont kill flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines