Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FLVPlayback component issue

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm having a weird issue where I import a local video to play trough an FLVPlayback component and the quality is horrible! (AS3 document)

So my stage/document is 1080p and so is the video.

I resize it down to 1520x855 (16x9 aswell) and when I preview/publish the document, the video looks pixelated.

I'm not a very good programmer so I'm doing everything using the menus, no code so far.

Anyone has any idea of what might be happening?

I've attached an example. On the left side is a small part of the video played trough adobe animate, on the right side is the same video trough media player classic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that the video is .mp4 (h264) with a framerate of 29.97fps and 1min lenght.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there magnification in (or of) that screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not at all, that was taken with the videos playing at the same resolution
well actually the one on the right is with the video at full 1080p and the left one (where the problem is) is with the video resized

I've already tried compressing the video with lower bitrate, I've tried making a new document completely from scratch and I've tried playing it trough the flvplayback component without any resizing and the problem persists, although its less noticeable when its played at full 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i see that, too - but, if i do, i don't think it's as dramatic as your screenshot.  can you tell which is animate and which is the vlcplayer?

kglad_0-1665750580768.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Animate is version 22.0.8 build 217 (downloaded and updated trough Adobe Creative Cloud)

By vlcplayer you mean the media player I use to view the videos outside animate?

Its Media Player Classic version 1.9.23 but even Windows Media Player gives me good results and opening the video in After Effects and re-rendering it gives me great results too.

I've done this before and I never had any issues, same computer and same software, that's why I'm completely out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm providing 2 screenshots of the full video.

I tried sizing them more a less the same but it should't make much of a difference anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my last post shows video from the vlcplayer (i use to view videos) adjacent to an animate as3 flvplayback test.

can you tell which is the video being played in vlc and that being player in an as3 flvplayer component test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see something with the background but the letters are both sharp.

The red background seems to have some sort of.... red mixed with orange blobs? (lol) but the letters both seem pretty sharp so I can't tell much difference no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm using the same version of animate you are.  and i don't know of any video quality settings for an as3 file.  

you are clicking file>publish, correct?  eg, you're not exporting a video (file>export>export video>...), correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, publishing it not exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you know what.  my screenshot is smoothing the pixelated animate published file. 

when i first tested, i thought, you're correct.  i took the screenshot, posted that i see that too and then while looking at my post, studying the screenshot, i started to question whether i saw any difference, at all.

so, i edited my post questioning whether i really saw a difference.

more recently i was doing more testing and saw the same significant difference between vlcplayer and animate's published video, took another screenshot and started another message when i noticed the screenshot is not showing the same thing i see.

i also checked with cc 2019 and i see the same pixelation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some tests at the moment but so far I really haven't figured out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After searching a LOT... I found something called the Smoothing property.

Again, I dont know much of actionscript but I started a new document and tried this:

import fl.video.FLVPlayback;

var myVideo:FLVPlayback = new FLVPlayback();

myVideo.x = 0;
myVideo.y = 0;
myVideo.setSize(1920,1080);

myVideo.source = "Videos/P01_0077_V05.mp4";
myVideo.autoPlay = true;

function smoothVideo(){
var myVideo2 = myVideo.getVideoPlayer(0);
myVideo2.smoothing = true;
addChild(myVideo2);
}

smoothVideo();

...I barely know what I'm doing here but it worked.

The video is "smoothed" and no more jagged edges...

This might work as a solution for someone with the same issue.

If anyone can explain why this works and what would be a better way of applying it, be my guest.

I had to import the FLVPlayback component manually to the library (no idea how to do that by code) but appart from that, my stage is completely empty and one frame only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rats, i didn't even think to use as3.  it's been so long..

anyway, if you have myVideo (instance name in the properties panel) on stage with the settings you want, you can just use:

myVideo.getVideoPlayer(0).smoothing = true;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'stage' has a quallity setting as well. Adding this code to the first frame would improve everything, hopefully including the FLV:

stage.quality = “16x16”;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(i'm not sure i see any difference among the methods and doing nothing.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried it, actually saw you replying that to an older thread but it didn't make a difference in my case but thank you very much anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you see any difference between the code you pasted here and the shortcut code i suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 16x16 stage quality tip didn't change anything.

I'm improving the "smoothing" code and I think I'll go with it!
It's a simple touch screen that opens an closes several videos for the user to watch, nothing too fancy.
I just never saw this happening before and I've done similar apps in the past.

Anyway, thank you for the help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.  (but i'm still interested in whether you saw any difference between

myVideo.getVideoPlayer(0).smoothing = true;

and your code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought... The FLVPlayback component can play H.264 videos. Is your video file an .flv that is MPEG-4 or some other codec, or is it an .mp4 with better looking H.264 video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kglad: no, I'm using your version and it's the same result as what I wrote, yours obviously was way more simple to use

Colin: its an .mp4 file using H.264 compression 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for that response.  (i couldn't really see a difference among the two codes and doing nothing.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines