• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I removing a specific item from an Array?

Engaged ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I am having an array of movieclips and when my circle(controlled with the keyboard) hitTests true with one of the movieclips inside that array i want to remove that movieclip from the array so when i hitTest it again it returns false (I hitTest using a "for in" with that array).

How do i remove a specific item from within an array?

Can someone help me? Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

try:

yourArray.splice(yourArray.indexOf(yourmovieclip),1);

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try:

yourArray.splice(yourArray.indexOf(yourmovieclip),1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to run around the array to find the one to remove, but once you know where it is, you use splice:

mcArray.splice(indexOfOneToRemove,1);

So, if the one you want to get rid of is in the 10th position, indexoFOneToRemove would equal 9. The 1 dictates how many things from that point onwards that you want to remove. Afterwards, mcArray would be like it was, but now missing the items you spliced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mr. kglad says, indeOf() would be a quick way to locate the movieclip in the array.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.

That is what i did. Thanks anyway you guys are always helpful. I Looked through all the methods of the array class and didn't found a specific one for my purpose. Then i posted this discussion and then i looked more closely to the splice method.

Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for those "helpful" stars, even though I misspelled indexOf. You could give kglad the Solved check mark if you like, as what he wrote was exactly right. Mind you, it's not that he needs the points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks.

but what are these points for anyway?  do they mean anything?

and do you think this latest version of the adobe forums is an improvement on the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things about the new forum are nice, and one or two things are not as good. For example, in the old forum I could easily see a list of the threads that I had participated in, now I don't think I can.

The points system is to encourage helpful people like us to keep on helping, and it also lets people asking questions have a sense of whether the answer they just got was from someone who usually gives good answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i haven't noticed anyone showing deference because of the points.  in fact, i've seen some people (a minority, to be sure) be just obnoxious about it.  i never encountered that before:  some people feel they have power because they can dole out points.

but overall i agree with you:  the loss of the list of threads i am participating in, along with the most recent posters name, is a significant drawback of the new forums.  and there's nothing new in these forums that offsets that drawback.

in addition, i think we've lost way more than 1/2 the older threads.  that's a lot of information that's no longer available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I marked kglad as correct answer. The new forums have your stuff where you can see all the threads you participated in.

Se you around guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines