• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5 files only play in Microsoft Edge

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am converting (too many!) Flash files to AnimateCC. I am using Animate 2020 on a Windows 10 machine. I can convert (or write from scratch) and publish .html and .js files no problem (well maybe that's a simplification!). The file plays seamlessly in Canvas (CTRL-ENTER in Animate) and when I open the html file in Microsoft Edge. However, when I open the HTML file in any other browser (including Canvas) by double clicking it, I see everything (images, text etc) but the buttons (to drag-and-drop or go to the next scene) do not work; the pointer does not change as I move over the buttons which suggests the browser doesn't see them as buttons. I have the same problem when I copy the folder (and files) onto the school's BlackBoard server, and my Mac students say that they have the same problem.

Clearly I need to solve this problem because I have students with different platforms and prefered browsers.

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue , Publish package

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This likely has to do with security restrictions in the browsers. If you upload the HTML and all associated files to a web server (not sure if BB would work correctly) - does it run fine? Animate spins up its own little server when doing a test movie. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my students use Chrome so I use this as my default. It work perfectly when I test it from Animate and also when I double click the html file on my hard drive. However, when I open the html file on the BB server I get the image but no buttons to click or to click-and-drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blackboard might be serving the files in a way that causes security blocking. Have a look in the browswer console for errors of that nature and see whether any exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll ask the IT people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Iasked our LMS got person and he asks the following ...

"Do you know if you can export in SCORM format? I don't see another way the LMS is going to be able to play the interactive elements."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive content on Blackboard does not have to be in the form of a SCORM package. Just ZIP up your Animate content, including all required folders in the required folder structure. Go to the Content Collection for your Blackboard course, create a folder for it, select Upload Zip Package, and upload it. Then go to the student side and select Build Content -> File. Click Browse Content Collection and select the HTML document for your Animate content. Under File Options check Open in New Window. Submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your help and suggestions one and all. ClayUUID I did exactly what you suggested and that's when the problems began! Fortunately the latest update fixed the "only plays in Edge" issue since I can now play  html files in Chrome (student and my favorite) and all the interactive features appear to be fixed - so far!

My University IT group have tried to get the files to play and cannot get them to play on BlackBoard or Canvas. As suggested before, perhaps it's a security issue. They suggest that, since I have my own web page on another server, I should link from BlackBoard to the files on this other serverwebsite. I fear it weill be a pain, but it wold be a shame to leave these custom-built files out of my lectures and labs.

Thanks everyone for your help. Time to go re-invent the wheel, using Animate to change exisiting Flash files - if only Adobe could have held off until I retire!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your IT people are incompetent. There should be some error message somewhere pointing to what's going wrong. A restricted content popup in the browser. An error message in the dev console. Failed resource loads in the browser networking tab. Blocked files in the server logs. Something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying but it's a question of keeping these people 'sweet.'

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any error messages appear in the browser's dev console when running from Blackboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error messages, just the image with no interactive capabilities. It could be seen as a .jpg because there are no buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company regularly hosts HTML5 Canvas documents on a vanilla Blackboard account, and they work fine in IE11/Edge/Chrome/Firefox/Safari. No idea what you're doing to break it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Talking to IT people early next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you solved this problem? if yes, you can share? I also have this problem ((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that Microsoft updated Edge some time ago and since then the local animate/HTML_Canvas files often do not play - so I have lost that! Some of my animations run in other browsers (like Chrome) on my laptop while others do not. I have not worked it out because I use a completely different method. I can use BlackBoard, but my IT department are reluctant to give me extra hard drive space (read $!), so I simply run everything off my server which has unlimited space. My animations and simulations are used for teaching, so I have tranferred all of my files (including on-animate HTML files, images and mp4 for recorded lectures) to my server and use BlackBoard to link. It works, so I just use this rather than play around trying to solve questions that are way beyond my capabilites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines