• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe animate the best for drawing backgrounds?

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am working on a animated series and was wondering if Adobe animate is the best for cartoon backgrounds? If not, which is the best? Thanks! 

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using stock imagery as backgraounds and animate your characters on top?  Or, importing mesh backgrounds built in programs like Blender? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not thought of using stock imagery. Do you do that? Is Blender good for non 3D cartoons? Thanks for your response 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blender can be used for 2D Animation, is really cool!  I just downloaded Adobe Animate, I'll see what's possible with it and get back to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is probably the most used program for animated backgrounds but lots of shows also draw their bgs in Animate like MLP or Total Drama.

Granted, it's not the most flexible tool for it but it's probably the fastest in a flash animation pipeline. On the high end, some artists like Greg Bartlett do really make it shine: https://www.freepik.com/blog/greg-bartletts-backgrounds-arent-3d-models-will-find-hard-believe/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is primarily an animation tool, not a drawing tool, so of course it's not going to be the best at drawing. Illustrator's drawing tools are far more sophisticated than Animate's.

This is like asking if Excel is the best word processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use adobe animate to make backgrounds but the industry people usually use Adobe photoshop or Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

The power of Animate is not in the number of drawing and animation features, but in its ease of use.

I use Animate most of the time to create environment and characters. I draw the entire vector base and in some cases I take it to Photoshop to apply effects and other finishing touches.

Backgrounds created with Animate only:

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 07.39.20.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-16 at 07.39.29.png

image.png63060474139827.5c23b8478198e.png

e108e152473589.59120053107f5.png

Backgrounds created in Animate and improved in Photoshop:

a9a9eb62860395.5a9e4ae20bf68.png

875cd552473589.5a9e4b127c5a3.pngc1680152473589.5912005311615.png

But, in the end, it's up to you to decide which software is the best. I like to work with Animate, but some prefer Photoshop or Illustrator. Just give them all a try.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, and amazing!  Great talent!  Thank you for jumping in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines