• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe Flash Professional free after is dead?

Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learning UDK (Unreal Development kit) ; becuase i want to use unreal engine but my cumputer is weak so I had to use UDK, Then I realized that in order to create menus in the game I need to use Adobe Flash in order to use Scaleform, and I only found adobe flash professional

my question is :

Has Adobe Flash Professional become free after its support was discontinued and replaced by Adobe Animate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

"But I don't know if I use Adobe Flash Pro, for example, version CS5.5 to use Scaleform, is it legal because Adobe has stopped selling it?"  I already said NO. Not unless you already purchased a license when Adobe sold it. Software does not become free just because it is no longer sold.

(Some people invented the term "abandonware" for this case, and argue they have some right to use abandoned software. You can read about the controversy and form your own ideas. But you should realise that softwa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Flash Pro did not become free. When Adobe replaced it with Adobe Animate, they stopped selling Flash Pro: there is no legal way to get it. Flash is dead, you probably need a different path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But unfortunately I have to use Adobe Flash pro because all tutorials for making menus in Scaleform need Adobe flash and I only found Adobe Flash Professional, what can i do now ?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/SettingUpScaleformGFx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaleform itself was discontinued by AutoDesk in 2018. So that path is no longer an option either (in particular if you intend to publish your game-->licensing not possible)

Since UDK doesn't offer a proper UI integration option, and you are looking into a 3d game authoring engine that can run on older machines, why not try Godot?

Godot includes a complete 2d GUI engine. Runs on relatively low grade hardware.

https://godotengine.org/

That said, it depends on the nature of your game project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I want to use UDK is because I want to use a good game engine for old PCs and also its tools are powerful and UDK gives me what I want but that does not mean that godot is bad but I tried UDK and I like it more than godot and my games are 3D

But I don't know if I use Adobe Flash Pro, for example, version CS5.5 to use Scaleform, is it legal because Adobe has stopped selling it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But I don't know if I use Adobe Flash Pro, for example, version CS5.5 to use Scaleform, is it legal because Adobe has stopped selling it?"  I already said NO. Not unless you already purchased a license when Adobe sold it. Software does not become free just because it is no longer sold.

(Some people invented the term "abandonware" for this case, and argue they have some right to use abandoned software. You can read about the controversy and form your own ideas. But you should realise that software companies absolutely REJECT the idea of abandonware, and they can probably afford better lawyers than either of us).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok!, thank you for answer my question the screen name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe try some lighter programs just like Godot, you can try Pencil2D or Paint, or Blender for 3D. If you want to add your Art to Games,

You can also try Gdevelop, it is completely open source, you can make complete 2D games without writing a single line of code, and has it's own Pixel editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really is unfortunate, because Flash is closed down for everyone. This makes Scaleform obsolete, I think. Perhaps the Unreal Engine community can suggest a way forward, or tell you it is obsolete for everyone who did not get Flash Pro CS4 over 10 years ago and kept it running...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines