• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Learning coding, days, week or months required ?

Explorer ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could one be expected to achieve 'basic understanding and an ability to code AS3' in 3.5 months mixed in with a busy day job ?

How long would it take for a raw beginner to learn Action Script 3 coding so as to have a basic understanding and an ability to code Flash.

Also to be able to take existing code and adapt it to suit ones own flash project ?

Are there any training videos on such or good books to read ?

What is the best way of learning AS3 ?

Is it in fact best to forget AS3 and get tuition in programming or some other discipline then take a look at AS3 and what timescale would be suitable to achieve this so as to meet the goal stated above ?

Envirographics

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning programming is different for everyone as well as the time it takes to get it absorbed.  Some people have an ability for it and others never get it... and there's every flavor imaginable in between.

If you have no background in programming, you are better off finding some formal training regardless of which language you take up.  There are programming disciplines and concepts that can be transferred from language to language which you are better off acquiring in a structured programming course.  When you have those concepts under your belt, moving on to other languages becomes easier.

As a beginner looking for AS3 learning materials, you could try lynda.com for tutorials.  Or you could try picking up any tutorials that might interest you and go thru them.  The key to any of it is to do something on your own... repeatedly if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned,

Thanks for the reply,.

<<If you have no background in programming, you are better off finding some formal training regardless of which language you take up.>>

Thats seems to be the route.

I need to know though,...Could one be expected to achieve 'basic understanding and an ability to code AS3' in 3.5 months mixed in with a busy day job ?

Formal training sounds like time away from office...and course fees.

Some idea of time involved is sought, are we talking lets say a solid two week course ?..or is longer the norm ?

Envirographics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, my response isn't going to change.  Your best bet is to bite the bullet and get to it and see how you fair with it.  After a few days maybe you'll have a better idea of how long it might take for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned,

Its just that I have been given a timescale of 3.5 months to learn AS3 as well as do my day job and thought it best to see if its feasible before committing to such a time, a time created without knowledge of whats involved. No point in causing mental meltdown. Now trying to find something I can trial but a day isnt enough to estimate the time it may take.

Envirographics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just that you're the only one who is going to be abe to determine if programming/AS3 is something you can manage, how easily it might come to you, and if you can commit the kind of time/effort needed for your case.  I have run into people over the past few years that over extended periods of time are not able to grasp basic programming logic and tools.  It would be kind of foolish to base a decision on the advice of someone who knows nothing about you saying you could do it. 

With 3.5 months you could certainly learn some of the basics.  Whether or not you learn it well enough for what your role will be is not determinable at this end of the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a bit of programming experience in many different languages beforehand, and I was able to pick up AS3 pretty quickly... just took a few months to learn most of it. However, if you haven't got any programming experience, I think it would be difficult to learn in 3 months without taking a fullblown class which it sounds like you don't have time for.

Of course, it depends dramatically on what you're making. Making a game is pretty complicated and requires good understanding of things like object-oriented programming and garbage collection. If you're just making a page with some buttons that cause text or graphics to be displayed, it shouldn't be that difficult to learn what you need.

I find it helps greatly to look up example code/tutorials and read the code and gauge your own comprehension of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines