• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Wand doesn't work most times

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Animate 20.5.1. since I am still on Mac OS High Sierra, I cannot really update it anymore.

Magic Wand used to work fine in some older versions, but in this one it doesn't work most of the times.

I import a bitmap (no matter how - it can be PSD file or a PNG file), I break it apart and try to select pixels with the Magic Wand - sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't.

Here is a video of what I mean:

[video]

Question is - how is it in the newer versions? And - which was the last version that this tool worked properly?

TOPICS
Error , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Happens in newer versions and goes back to Flash CS3, possibly older, it might've been always like this.

It's the flipping that breaks it, as a workaround don't flip the image before using the magic wand tool, use the tool first then flip it afterwards. Or convert the bitmap to symbol, flip it, double click the symbol to go inside of it and then use the magic wand, that seems to work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens in newer versions and goes back to Flash CS3, possibly older, it might've been always like this.

It's the flipping that breaks it, as a workaround don't flip the image before using the magic wand tool, use the tool first then flip it afterwards. Or convert the bitmap to symbol, flip it, double click the symbol to go inside of it and then use the magic wand, that seems to work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow - the good old flippin' bug?! I thought it was gone for a while! aparrently traces of this thing are still present. Thaks for reminding me - will keep that in mind now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please increase your "Threshold" slider value in the Tool Properties panel. Threshold values determines the selection range based on the mouse click on the bitmap shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry but this is not the case. I can increase the threshold as much as I want - it will not select anything. If you check my video you will see that NOTHING is selected. Even with threshold 0 at least one pixel would have been selected if it was not a bug. But @Mario_CR is right - it's all in the flipping. If I flip the bitmap back again - it works. Flipping was giving us trouble ever since I remember - these were different bugs, but same cause. I thought it was fixed. Aparently not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines