• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

messagebox?

May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform: AS3/CS4, Flash Authoring, Win

Is there a built-in 'messageBox' function, somewhere?  or do I have to roll my own?

thanx,

rickb

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check components for built-in functionality.  i don't see a component that would work for you in the component list that ships with cs4/as3, but there are plenty of components freely available.  search using google to see if one meets your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean like HyperCard's message box, or Director's message window? Something where you could freeform type code and try out things? If so, no there isn't. I wish there was. Generally when trying out a quick test I just make another FLA. Having the ability to query specific variables, or test functions in a running swf, would be handy at times.

If you mean more like a message box that your swf could output to, you can trace to the Output Panel in Flash authoring, and for debugging in a browser you might check out the Firefox add-on Flash Tracer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3469

One very neat thing about Flash Tracer is that it shows traces that are happening in any Flash movie. So if you are trying things out in Safari in particular, you can still look at the Firefox window to see what Flash Tracer is showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, what I'm looking for is an alert panel to flash up to the user for information, query for yes/no input, etc.

Looks like I'm going to have to roll my own.

My utils class is growing  ...

rickb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your own floating dialog would look ok, but remember that it's within the swf, so you can't drag it outside of the rect of the stage, without it disappearing when it's beyond that.

Having an equivalent to HyperCard's Ask/Answer dialogs would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines