• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My auto-save is just... gone?? (2 days work!)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working non-stop for 2 days now. Suddenly Animate CC shuts down by it self??
When i reopen, i get what i had 2 DAYS AGO?!

I've seen it auto-save at least a 50 times while working, annoying about the long waits while it saves.
And now it didn't even save or what?!

I'm SO frustrated right now! 20hrs+ lost! Can i get the auto saves somehow? Recover something?
Please help me out! I'm gonna miss my deadline!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

I had a similar problem as this, where a crash failed to open recovery options. I was using Animate 2018 on a Mac.  I tried to force close Animate again to get into recovery mode but could not get it to offer available recovery files.

I could not find a file with the name Recovery_ anywhere and no back ups of any sort in the same folder as the original.  After quite a lot of poking around I recovered a file from just a few days ago when I had last had it opened without any corruption.  The files

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first, if you go two days without ever explicitly saving your work, you're asking for any trouble that befalls you.

Second, just open up the folder where your FLA is and look for a file named "RECOVERY bla bla".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought auto-saving was the same as if I saved it myself?

Of course i did check my folder, it isn't there.

The weird thing is, that if I open the file I had open, all the things i pulled into the library are there, but all drawings (about a 100) gone... Why is that? It's like the file is updated, but after the crash it somehow deleted all frames done in 2 days??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preferences say auto-recovery, not auto-save. If you can open the RECOVERY FLA, and not the main FLA, it should be fairly up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the "recover"-file. And the autosave happened in that file. I've done that numerous times with no problem at all. But this time all my work was gone. When I open the "recover"-file, it's back to from 2 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait,.. are you saying Animate had crashed previously with this project, and you then proceeded to open and work directly in the recovery file? For two days? Without ever manually saving your work in a new file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look around for a recover_recover name file. If you do work with the recover file, its recover file will start with recover_recover.

The way I work with recover files is to open the file, see if it's in good order and is more recent than the main FLA, then I do a Save As to overwrite the main FLA. I hopefully don't ever work with the recover file itself, it can just lead to file name confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Everything you suggest.

the:

C:\Users\<
username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\ , folder has a lot of folders but nothing that contains anything of use. There is a txt called AutoRecoveryFilenames, that matches the date and time i was using the project, but that file is empty.

I've set my working folder to list as last modified. The last one is 3 days ago. Which means all the autosaves didn't really save at all for some reason..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and this is why you arent the recomended answer recovery files automatically delete when saved to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auto-saved recovery files are usually saved here - (if they are never saved manually)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there just nothing to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue ... same scenarios.  have a Recover_recover file but it is dated days ago . The files that were autosaved last night are all gone. and last file is dated  a week ago, so I have lost a weeks worth of animation. any ideas where files can be hidden on mac???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a true problem. No one seems to know the solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-save functionality in Animate tries to minimize any loss of unsaved work but it's not a fool-proof way of recovery.

It is really important that you keep saving your work frequently and also maintain a few backup versions if you're working on something big and time consuming.

In general,

- For a file that is saved atleast once earlier, the recovery file is generated at the same location where the file was saved originally on both Win and Mac.

- For a file that is never saved (untitled ones), recovery files are saved here:

Win: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Animate CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/

Please modify the above path based on your username, Animate version and locale as applicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking your time to answer Nipun. I'll never trust autosave again, after this!

But alas, it did not help me out.

1. I did save the file, many times. Usually, the file that is autosaved upon gets updated the next time i open it. This time it didn't.

2. I even used, EasyFind to search for all Animate CC files or even all files with 'Recover' in the name, listed them to last modified, still no luck.

So my file was titled something, it's not in the folder, where all my other (older) backups for the project are. Nothing.

It seems, all the autosaved work, didn't go anywhere? Ghosted somehow. THIS i don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recuva, from Piriform, is an excellent application to restore accidentally deleted files.

I used once when I deleted hundreds of project files all at once. I was able to recover almost everything.

It's not guaranteed, but I think it's worth giving it a shot because you may be able to find one of the recovered FLAs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea! Thanks for the tip!

But i didn't delete anything? Still think it will work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem as this, where a crash failed to open recovery options. I was using Animate 2018 on a Mac.  I tried to force close Animate again to get into recovery mode but could not get it to offer available recovery files.

I could not find a file with the name Recovery_ anywhere and no back ups of any sort in the same folder as the original.  After quite a lot of poking around I recovered a file from just a few days ago when I had last had it opened without any corruption.  The files were found in the following directory:

/users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Animate CC 2018/en_US/Configuration/TMPxxxxxxxxxx.fla

The xxxx is a alpha numeric system assigned name not recognisable to me and there were 3 files there with different names of the same sort but recognisable as fla files.  Two were dated today and corrupted but the third was clean and opened fine.  I saved under a new name in my normal directories and I am back where I need to be.

Note Finder does not normally show the Library folder by default but this can be accessed by holding down the alt key and choosing 'Go' on the Finder menu.

It would be great if Animate CC 2018 actually had an option to open available recovery files directly without us all having to look deep into our systems.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that this thread is a bit old now, but I have a potential "glitch" or reason that might help future visitors that come here looking for answers.

I've found that if you open and work on an older version file, like Flash, Adobe Animate will not auto save or create a backup file.

This is likely due to the fact that when you open this older version and save it, Animate gives you this prompt:
"Animate Compatibility - This file will be converted from the older, (maybe Flash, or older Animate version) file format to Animate 2019. You will no longer be able to open this file using the older release of Flash.  Continue with the Save?"

If you haven't gone through this "saving of a new version" process, Animate will not implement auto save or create a recovery file.

So make sure you save your work!

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines