Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old Flash files - converting to HTML5 Canvas

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been trying out the "Convert to HTML5 Canvas" in Animate and have a couple of questions:

• I have old Flash files from previous jobs. I would like to keep the files editable and somewhat future proof - this is mainly for portfolio purposes. Is "Convert to HTML5 Canvas" in Animate  the best route to take?
  • When converted to HTML5 Canvas the files have a .fla extension - with browser support for Flash going in 2020 how long will the .fla be supported after this date?
  • Once I have converted a .fla file to HTML5 Canvas is there another step I should take?
  • what is the difference between .fla and .xfl
  • Is Animate the best program/ format for these files? Should I be looking at importing them into another Adobe software, is this possible?

Its going to be a bit of work to convert these files and I just want to insure I am taking the best approach

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019
  • I have old Flash files from previous jobs. I would like to keep the files editable and somewhat future proof - this is mainly for portfolio purposes. Is "Convert to HTML5 Canvas" in Animate  the best route to take?

yes.

• When converted to HTML5 Canvas the files have a .fla extension - with browser support for Flash going in 2020 how long will the .fla be supported after this date?

fla files have never been supported by browsers so browser support for fla's is irrelevant.

• Once I have converted a .fla

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.

fla files have never been supported by browsers so browser support for fla's is irrelevant.

• Once I have converted a .fla file to HTML5 Canvas is there another step I should take?

publish your canvas project and upload to your server(s) where you (presumably) want to use html5.

• what is the difference between .fla and .xfl

fla is a compressed xfl.

• Is Animate the best program/ format for these files?

if you want to convert swf's to html5, yes.

• Should I be looking at importing them into another Adobe software, is this possible?

no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kglad,

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

Re: point 2

Apologies for being unclear here, what I'm really trying to check is if Adobe is discontinuing support for the Flash Player from 2020, will this have any effect on support for the .fla format? Will this continue to be a viable format for the longer term and is Animate a good option long term?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

support for fla files seems secure for the foreseeable future.  adobe continues to invest and improve in animate which is used to open (and edit) fla files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brill, thanks for your help Kglad, it's much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines