• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Regarding the new easing

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the 2017.5 release of Animate has added a long-requested new feature-- support for a greater variety of easing formulas. It works great, and I'm genuinely happy to finally have this capability.

However, I feel the UI they've developed to expose this functionality could use some work. I've started this thread in the hope to have a discussion that could lead to it being improved in subsequent releases.

This is the new easing UI:

animate_new_ease.png

They've replaced the easing strength field with an easing type dropdown. The old strength field dynamically appears underneath only when the classic-style ease is selected. Pretty straightforward so far. But here's where we get into problems. The new "dropdown" isn't really a dropdown (note the lack of a down-arrow). It's a nonstandard GUI widget that's halfway between a dropdown and a modal dialog. Here are some usability issues I've identified with it:

• Unlike a true dropdown control, you can't click on it again to dismiss the popup. You have to click elsewhere on the screen.
  • There are redundant methods for creating a custom ease. You can either click the pencil, or select "Custom".
  • The default ease is labeled "No Ease", which is incorrect. It's a linear ease.
  • The classic style ease is labeled "Linear". This is only correct as long as you leave the intensity at 0 (which makes it redundant to the so-called "No Ease" option). As soon as you change the intensity, it is by definition not a linear ease.
  • Instead of just clicking on the ease type you want, for some reason you have to double-click it. This is inconsistent with basically the entire rest of the Animate interface.
  • Some of the items in the left column display easing formulas, some don't. There's no visual indication of which are which... you have to click them to find out.
  • The column ordering is, for the new eases, backward. Instead of picking the formula you want (quad, cubic, etc), then the variant (in, out, in-out), it forces you to pick the variant, then the formula... which it then displays in formula-variant order, e.g. "Cubic EaseIn".

If I were in charge of overhauling this, this is what I'd do:

I'd replace the current fake-dropdown with a true dropdown that lists the following items:

• Classic
  • Quad
  • Cubic
  • Quart
  • Quint
  • Sine
  • Back
  • Circ
  • Bounce
  • Elastic

"Classic" would be the default, and when selected would display the old intensity field underneath. All other choices, when selected, would cause a second dropdown to appear underneath, labeled "Type:", with these choices:

• In
  • Out
  • In-Out

The pencil icon would remain in its usual place, acting to customize the currently selected easing curve.

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm well aware of that form; I've used it many times. As you should be well aware, the feature request form does not support screenshots nor any sort of rich formatting, and isn't particularly friendly to more than a few short sentences of content. But more importantly, feature requests are made basically in secret. A public thread gathering feedback on this new UI element would, IMHO, be more valuable to the Animate team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, didn't notice the author of the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very happy with new easing. For me Animate CC is now complete product like Edge Animate 2015 or Photoshop 7. Adobe can stop with further development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will share your post with the team for their observations. Thank you for taking time to create this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The team tells me that this feature is Work in Progress, and to stay tuned for more improvements to the feature. What you see right now is a promise of better things to come.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines