Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols & Tweening message

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Why I still get the message "the selected frame span cannot be tweened ... convert to symbol" when I try to create a classic tween but I had already created the symbol and the tween I am created is with thats ymbol. The symbol appears in the Library but I get that message anyway... I cant understand why Animate asks me to craeet a symbol inside the symbol when the symbol already exits. 

If I click OK I get all these unnamed tweens in the Library... it is a mess. I have checked many tutorials but i can really find an answer. In the tutorial below they say never click ok to that message, but I dont know what to do to avoid doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2tcqbOx_U

This may be a simple beginners question but I really dont understand why it happens and cant find anny more info about it. Many thanks. Elena 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

start over to see if you can create a basic tween:

create a movieclip

add it frame one of an empty layer

add a keyframe at about frame 10 or 20 of that layer

change the movieclip's position

with your mouse over that layer, right click > click create classic tween

any problem?

if not, what are you doing that can't be duplicated by following those basic steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kglad,

Thank you very much for your help and apologies for late reply.

I do exactly what you say ... and still get that message (please see screen shot of a very simple exam`le so you see what I get). It doesnt happenn all the time... but most of the time. The shape you see is already a movie clip symbol but Animate still asks me to convert it again into a symbol in order to tween it... I really dont see where Im making the mistake...

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restart the tween effort per above, but before right clicking, click the on-stage movieclp to select it. 

show a screen shot of your timeline, the stage and the properties panel similar to this:

kglad_0-1646239431463.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kglad,

Thanks for replye and apologies for getting bacl to you so late.

Please see teh screen shots attached. I craeted the graphic symbol as you can see , it appears in my Library as est symbol (circle) , but in prperties it appears as a drawing object and when I want to ween I still get teh same message. I am inside the symbol timeline, if I do it in the main timeline I donta have his problem, but the idea is to work in nested animations.... symbols inside symbols,,, I get every time the sam emessage convertt to symbol, but the symbol was created already.... I dont know....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like you're selecting multiple objects and that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try this tutorial. Maybe the other tutorial confused you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPJ-Nm_Igw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for the video. I have watched it all, I follow Tip Tut  channela nd in fact I´ve started learning with him. However I am still getting that message as I mention above to our colleague. Im attaching a screen shot of it.

It doesnt happen all the time but pretty often, spetially when I try to tween inside a symbol´s timline. Not so much when I tween in the main timeline. The video I uploaded in my first intervention explains that is something Animated does automatically... but I dont understand why... and I dont know what Im doing wrong to keep getting that message. If I click yes then Animates creates all these tweens in the Library and all becomes very confusing and messy to work , not a very clear workflow...

Anyway I will keep looking and trying, but I really would like to know why and  this happens and what I do wrong.

many thanks for your help,

Elena 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to other replies - make sure...

1. One symbol per layer per tween.
2. Motion and Classic tweens can only be applied to instances of Movie Clip or Graphic Symbols.
3. Shape tweens are applied to raw vector shapes.
4. Make sure there isn't any other artwork on the stage somewhere (outside of stage perhaps?) in the same keyframe(s) of the symbol you are trying to apply a tween to.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines