• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Total Noob Questions . . .

Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I retired recently and I want to learn animation.   I have experience with Photoshop and Premiere Pro, and I also have good drawing and painting skills with conventional media such as graphite, charcoal and oil paints.

There are a zillion animation tools out there and since at my age I don't want to waste time UNlearning a beginner's tool, I want to start off with a tool that can take from beginner to a high level.  Since I'm already a full CC subscriber someone suggested Adobe Animate.   Questions:

1.  Adobe Animate used to be Flash.   Flash is an old, proprietary and increasingly unsupported technology so I don't want to develop any dependencies on it.   How dependent is the current Adobe Animate on Flash?   When I go out on the web and look at discussions about Adobe Animate most people still refer to is as "Flash" in comments and discussions.  I expect to output my work to a video format like .MP4 for Vimeo and YouTube.   Interactivity does not matter.

2. Where can I see finished, commercial-quality examples of works that were mainly created with Adobe Animate?  I'm not talking about pedagogic examples for me to download and play with, but finished works used in commercial, TV Show,  or animation-festival applications.  Obviously people use many different image-editing tools for an animated work, but I want to see examples where the animation itself relied on Adobe Animate.

3.  What are some good courses in beginner animation using Adobe Animate?    I live 50km northwest of Boston so far I haven't found any good local courses around here.   Is there a way to do coursework online?   (I mean real coursework with an instructor and other students, not just a self-teaching tutorial).

The other tool I'm looking at is Toon Boom Harmony Premium.    It costs slightly more than my whole CC subscription but it might be less limiting once I manage to climb the learning curve.   Are there other products I should consider in this performance class?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Software does not make a good animator - keep this in mind. To become a good animator, you will need to learn animation, not software.

Chenjil is right in mentioning The Animator's Survival Kit (Expanded Edition) by Richard Williams: get it, read it, re-read it, and learn from it. If you are REALLY serious about becoming a (character) animator, you could (should?) also consider getting the DVD set (which is 50% off till today):

The Animator's Survival Kit Animated

Or check with your local library w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You don't have to think about it, most people actually talk about Flashplayer rather than flash.

ANCC supports output (Adobe Media Encoder CC) any video format.

And SWF can be dragged toAdobe After Effects CC 2018.

This is more convenient than video because it's smaller, faster and clearer without having to adjust the video size and quality.and ANCC (FLASHCC) also supports HTML5 output.

2,In China, more animations are produced using flash.The "wakfu" of France.

A lot of things are made with flash.

But I still have to say that Flash is actually very weak in animation.

Developers are focused on developing code parts.Ignoring animations.

Lines, fills, imperfections, "Automatic lip alignment", no such function.

Flash is only suitable for making limited animations. If it is full animation or high-quality animation, it is difficult to do.

Because you're going to die of exhaustion.

3,Tutorials can go to YouTube search.

Search for animated tutorials or 2D animations tutorials, etc., if you search the Flash tutorial will only get the software to use the tutorial

Toon Boom,This is more appropriate for the team to use because it has a server.

Anime Studio(MOHO)Similar to flash, automatic mouth lip in place system.

This 2 is similar to flash vector animation software

TVPAnimation This is suitable for hand-painted.

RETAS PRO  This is the Japanese animation commonly used software, most of the Japanese animation is made of this.

OPENTOONZ Opentoonz, this is the animation master Hayao Miyazaki uses the software, now open source, free to use, if you need to consider the cost can use it.And it works very well, after all, is the software for making animated movies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, the animation knowledge is the most important, not the software is very important.

A book that you have to read,<Animators Survival Kit>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software does not make a good animator - keep this in mind. To become a good animator, you will need to learn animation, not software.

Chenjil is right in mentioning The Animator's Survival Kit (Expanded Edition) by Richard Williams: get it, read it, re-read it, and learn from it. If you are REALLY serious about becoming a (character) animator, you could (should?) also consider getting the DVD set (which is 50% off till today):

The Animator's Survival Kit Animated

Or check with your local library whether they have it. There's no better reference or master course. Richard guides you through it all.

Another great resource are Preston Blair's books. The original publication is available here:

https://animationresources.org/instruction-preston-blairs-advanced-animation/

Also get the new edition (which unfortunately doesn't include the original characters of the first release).

This is part of a free online course. You'll have to put in the work, though.

Now for software. Before you pick one of more animation apps, you need to learn a bit more about how 2D animation is done with the help of computers nowadays (I am not covering 3d animation, btw).

Two main approaches:

1. traditional frame-by-frame animation. All frames are drawn by the animator(s).
    • Paper based Method 1 (Vector): the animator starts on paper, scans each paper drawing, the software cleans up the scans and converts to vector strokes, of which the widths and placement can be adjusted and the look finalized, and are then coloured.
    • Paper based Method 2 (Bitmap): the animator starts on paper, scans each paper drawing, the software is used to clean the scanes, but NOT converted to vector strokes, and remains bitmap. This allows for more painterly effects and more freedom in visual style of the final animation.
    • Paperless Method 1 (Vector): the animator uses a graphics tablet and/or drawing monitor to sketch, draw, and colour all frames directly using vector tools.
    • Paperless Method 2 (Bitmap): the animator uses uses a graphics tablet and/or drawing monitor to sketch, draw, and colour all frames directly using bitmap-based digital painting tools.
    • Rotoscoping: real actors are filmed, and the animator draws over these frames as a reference, adding additional elements and details, or removing parts.
  2. Cut-out characters and inbetweening
    • an animated character is drawn in segments, and assembled together as a virtual puppet. Each segment can be re-used and replaced by other elements in order to make character turnarounds and expressions possible, or change the character's clothing, etcetera. Parts are parented to other parts so that when the head is moved, all the facial parts move with the head.
    • hinge-based simple parented cut-out characters at the very least support forward kinematics: the animator selects the upper leg, rotates it, and the lower leg rotates with upper leg. This is fine for robotic and simple movements, but creating a convincing walk cycle may take a lot of effort.
    • more advanced software supports inverse kinematics: when the animator moves a foot or hand, the entire body (or main parts) respond in a (more) natural way, which makes it relatively simple to animate organic looking natural movements. For example, to have the character reach over with their entire body, only one of the hands needs to be moved, and the rest of the body follows that movement.
    • depending on the software and the complexity of the character, it may be relatively simple up to very technical and complex to create virtual puppets.
    • the resulting animation almost always looks less convincing and natural compared to well-executed traditional frame-by-frame animation. On the other hand, production time may be dramatically reduced, and inbetweening is taken care of automatically by the animation software.

For any animated film any one and any combination of these techniques may be used, and the animator(s) may not necessarily limit themselves to just one piece of software. It depends.

That is why you must think before you do. If you drawing skills are wanting, and you still want to animate, than traditional frame-by-frame may be too daunting a task. Drawing should be second nature. But time (production time) may also be a limiting factor. The type and artistic style of your animation may also be a deciding factor. It all depends.

Which is why it is a Very Bad Idea to limit yourself to any singular piece of software for animation. Animation skill stands by itself, and is a very particular skill. The software used is but a tool to speed up the process. Software will not make you a good animator (rather the opposite in my experience).

So what kind of software is there, seen from the perspective of the two major computer 2d animation workflows?

• Adobe Animate CC: Quite good simple to use vector drawing tools. Terrible bitmap drawing tools. Animation tools are okay, but are surpassed by other software. Relatively straightforward to get started. Rather difficult to get away from that typical "Flash" animation look. Cut-out characters are a hit-and-miss affair. The IK tools are pretty bad.
    The lack of proper bitmap digital painting tools prove a limiting factor for backgrounds, for example. You will need to create those in other software like Photoshop.
    Still very popular in various quarters, mainly because Flash used to be so incredibly popular in broadcast animation, and because it is a relatively easy to use animation app that has proven itself in actual production (and still does). Lagging behind the competition, although various plugins exist to ameliorate some of its shortcomings. Adobe is finally putting in some effort to improve Animate CC's animation tools. It's slow going, but at least they are trying again.
    Good for vector based frame-by-frame, reasonable for vector-based cut-out characters, but with plugins it is quite nice for this purpose (up to a point). Doesn't directly support a smooth paper-based workflow. Forget about effects, particles (rain, snow), etc. There is hardly any support in Animate CC for these things, and you will have to use After Effects for this. Animate CC is generally not the tool to finalize the animation in, and relies on tools such as After Effects and Premiere to do so.

• Adobe After Effects: although meant for visual effects, can do some quite good cut-out characters animation with plugins like Duik, Rubber Hose, and Puppet Tools. Complex compositing and effects are readily available, as are nice particle effects. The main drawback is that any assets (drawings) must be done in external software.
    Good for effects, particle effects, and cut-out characters with Duik. Good all-in companion software for effects and compositing.

• Toonboom Harmony. The industry standard in the West. Production proven. Toonboom replaced Flash in most studios due to the stagnated animation tools development in Animate CC (well, that's part of it at least).
    Advanced and Premium accommodate both paper-based and paperless animation workflows very well.
    • Harmony Essentials. Vector drawing tools only, and bitmap drawing/painting tools are missing. Of all three editions this one seems to be aimed at beginning animators, and is quite limited in scope. No cut-out characters. Give this one a wide berth.
    • Harmony Advanced. Good vector and bitmap drawing tools. Great animation tools. Effects are limited. Quite reasonable for cut-out characters work, although for more complex work you really need the node editor which is only available in Premium. Good all-round animation app for serious animators.
    • Harmony Premium. Same as Advanced, but with additional studio production tools and a node editor. Very good for cut-out characters and control, but you will need to know scripting to make the most from it. Lots of compositing and visual effects, and particles for wind, rain, explosion, and other effects. Expensive. Full end-to-end animation production enviroment.

• TVPaint Animation: bitmap digital painting and drawing based. No vector tools. But very, very powerful for traditional frame-by-frame animation and excellent digital painting tools. Proven in production. Effects are available, particles, post effects. Storyboarding in built-in, unlike the competition. Rotoscoping tools. Works for both paper-based as well as paperless animation workflows. No cut-out character tools. Full end-to-end animation production enviroment.

• Moho Pro: vector-based animation software, with no bitmap painting tools (bitmap assets can be imported though). Excels in cut-out IK driven characters which are easy to set up and automated. Arguably the best in its class for this type of work. Some effects. Vector drawing tools are good, although somewhat different compared to other software. Production proven.

• OpenToonz: open source and free production level animation software, used in Japan for feature length animation films. Used in the production of some of the best 2d animation. Quite nice vector drawing tools and good bitmap painting tools. Excels in paper-based workflows and production management, similarly to Harmony Advanced and Premium. Like Harmony a complex animation tool. While cut-out characters are supported, the workflow and tools lag behind both Moho and Harmony, but still quite usable compared to AnimateCC. Full nodal effects, particles, compositing are all available in OpenToonz and, just like Harmony Premium, the animation artist will be able to produce and master the entire animation in one environment without the need for additional prep tools. Full end-to-end animation production environment.
    Teams up with ClipStudio EX to mitigate some of its drawing shortcomings. Mac version is still somewhat unstable and problematic. Be sure to download the latest releases from GitHub: Releases · opentoonz/opentoonz_nightlies · GitHub

• ClipStudio EX: while originally comic production oriented, now part of a number of Japanese and Asian animation studios' pipeline due to the rather first-class and as-yet unbeatable drawing and inking tools and their "feel". The EX edition supports quite nice traditional frame-by-frame animation, but lacks advanced animation production tools. That is why CS EX exports directly to OpenToonz. The animation workflow may take some effort to understand. Vector tools and bitmap painting tools are supported.
    For the traditional frame-by-frame animation artist the OpenToonz/ClipStudio EX combo proves to be a very powerful combination.

• Krita: open source and free digital drawing and painting. Not geared towards full animation production, bit excellent drawing and painting tools with good frame-by-frame animation options. Good to have as a companion app.

• Photoshop: similar to Krita, good to have as a companion app in the animation process.

• CelAction2D: production proven animation tool used primarily in UK animation studios (as far as I am aware). It single-handedly saved the UK animation industry (it is said). Very powerful animation software in the same league as Toonboom and OpenToonz in terms of production workflow. CelAction focuses on cut-out virtual puppet character animation, and assets must be created in external software (vector and bitmap are supported). Like Moho Pro, it focuses completely on rigged cut-out characters, and excels in this animation workflow. Not suited for frame-by-frame consequently or a paper-based workflow. Arguably the best animation tool for end-to-end cut-out animation. Full end-to-end animation production environment.

There you go, lots to choose from. If you are starting out, test some of the waters out there. The choice of your animation software really depends on your specific requirements. When I state Full end-to-end animation production enviroment, it means the product is suitable to produce the entire animation without the need for external mastering and/or finalizing software (like a video editor, or additional effects software). You may still need assisting tools while in production. For example, CelAction2d doesn't have any creation tools, so you would have to create the assets to build characters within CelAction2d in an application like Photoshop or Illustrator.

I haven't touched topics like lipsync tools, or audio production. Some of the aforementioned animation tools include lipsync options, others rely on external tools. Audio tools will be needed as well, since none of the animation tools have good audio mastering and editing tools, if any at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent!   Thank you for this outstanding overview!!

Definitely bitmap because I want to integrate my work with my video and photography work, and because I already do painting, charcoal, and pastels, where I express shapes using textures and shadow, rather than  lines.

I want to have a paperless workflow because life is too short to have to be scanning every frame in and I already have a good relationship with my Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... So many great answers here.

I would like to add a small contribution:

Animate use:

Animate television series that used/uses Flash/Animate:

List of Flash animated television series - Wikipedia

References:

Animation for a contest using Flash/Animate:

The Night Of all Fears (CGsociety challenge)

The Night Of all Fears Making of

Wakfu making of:

WAKFU, la série – Coulisses de la saison 3 – 1 : le story board - YouTube

making of wakfu ep1 - YouTube

Wakfu saison 3 : de l'animation traditionnelle vers le flash - Exclu IGN - YouTube

Animate/animation learning

For learning general animation with Animate CC and animation for production, don't miss the courses from Lynda.com and mainly those from Dermot O' Connor.

There's also Pluralsight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines