Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 Mics - 1 mic/host sounds great, 1 mic/host sounds terrible

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!

Starting a podcast and me and my co-host are testing our equipment. We have a Behringer 1202USB mixer going into our MAC Book Pro with Adobe Audition. We have two Audio Technica 2100 xrl mics. Mic 1 sounds terrific and Mic 2 sounds like the person is far away and in a can. Mic 2 also pics up hissing sounds and other small noises and Mic 1 does not. We've switched mics and put them in every port and which ever mic is the 1st one sounds great so we know it's not the mics. If we have each mic in port 2 and 3 the one in port 2 sounds the best. If we have them in port 3 and 4 the one in port 3 sounds the best. I've checked the settings on the mixer every channel is set the exact same. Is this just a bad mixer or user error? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These sound like the sort of symptoms you get from a faulty lead. Have you tried using the same channel and the same mic, and swapping the leads over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Private message from the OP now replied to but for the record, what I said was:

Sorry for the delay in replying but I live in Australia and have had a couple of busy days.

Anyway, some things to check:

First, as Steve said on the forum, it could be as simple as a faulty cable.

Second, I need to ask a question:  since the AT2100 is dual XLR/USB, are you using the XLR out via the mixer?   If not, you should be--sometimes you can get two USB audio devices to work but it's often a recipe for problems

Third, working via the mixer, make sure you have one mic panned hard left and the other hard right--if one if panned centrally, you'll get one channel with a mix of both mics....and the distant one will sound like you describe.

Fourth, make sure you have the Driver and Routing set properly in Audition--first go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Devices and make sure that's set for the Behringer mixer.  Then go to the input control (in the info window at the left end of each multitrack track.  Be sure you have the two available inputs from the 1202 set, not the same in both feeds.

Good luck...hopefully one of these might start you in the right direction

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bob+Howes  wrote

Second, I need to ask a question:  since the AT2100 is dual XLR/USB, are you using the XLR out via the mixer?   If not, you should be--sometimes you can get two USB audio devices to work but it's often a recipe for problems

I got the impression that the OP was talking about channels on the mixer rather than 'ports' (that we'd think of USB as being) as such.

The other thing I was going to mention was to check the headphone output on the mixer. If everything sounds okay there, then you'd have to be rather suspicious about the USB send facilities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply! I am using xlr's not the USB's. So thinking it was the mixer I went got another multi-track mixer from Guitar Center and set it up last night and had the exact same problem (the new mixer sounded even worse), so I continued troubleshooting. I set the Behringer mixer back up with same set up as before and tried it in Garage Band and it sounded FANTASTIC! So now I'm assuming I have a setting wrong inside of audition but I just not sure what it is. I've went back and watch the podcast tutorial about 4 times now and the set up seems right but I feel like I missing something right in front of me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen-grab of your hardware settings (Edit>Preferences), and also how you've got it assigned in Multitrack view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it after you have recorded some audio into the Multitrack in Audition and the playback sounds awful or can you hear the 'awfulness' before you even record anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I record. During recording it sounds great in the headphones to each of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you set up your Multitrack session? Did you use one of the Audition Templates to make the new session from? Some of them come with Effects already set by default in the Effects Rack for each track. So make sure first of all that any Track Effects are turned off or removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still facing this issue, AshleyA? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines