• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A/B routing + 'in the room' sound?

Advisor ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video editor trying to get an approximation for viewings (so ideally I'd achieve this in PP but reasonably comfortable in Au)

I've a film where folks are watching a projection and the projected footage cuts full screen.

i. What are your recommended eq/reverb/whatever settings to achieve the 'in the room' emulation of how the participants would be hearing it? Or is it best just to run a pass recording it in a similar environment?

ii. What's the logic where I can keyframe an A/B output - so A is full sound and B is the 'in the room' sound? (I guess this is side-chaining, if sub-mix A is open, sub-mix B is closed - likely to be over just a couple of frames at the cut point).

Have full RX9 available if that is useful.

Thanks for any tips.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a suitable environment, then running a pass through that and recording the result would be ideal. Other than that, try experimenting with the Convolution reverb using the 'In the other room' impulse, adjjusting the mix to suit.

As for an A/B output, then all you really need to do is have the effect available on the soundtrack, and use the automation system to set the mix level appropriately (you can see the envelope in the background):

Control mix effect.JPG

Then you can cut to the 'room' version whenever you need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve 

I'll give convolution reverb a try plus the record option (I guess I can do that as audio punch in in PP in the edit room to try it out - only need to do it in the sections where they are watching the screen.)

I then want to mute the main FX bus when there's level on the punchin track. I don't *think* we have side chain on PP. I'm reluctant to do it with keyframes on the FX bus cos the edit won't be locked for a while + I don't want to have to be sliding them around. 

I guess I can mute the source FX clips themselves with add edits but that's a bit messy as there's often transitions at that point. 

Will give it further thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I think the convolution reverb is going to work well for a guide. 
PP does indeed lack side-chaining.
So the best solution so far (which is still pretty messy) is to have two audio tracks (e.g. A21 & 22) with tone - so the tone is present on A21 to mute 'normal' and A22 to mute 'in the room'. 

Then I have the audio from the other tracks routed through 2 busses - 1 for 'normal' and 2nd for 'in the room' reverb

Both busses have a compressor sidechained from either of the tone busses - so tone on one track mutes one bus, on the other mutes the other.

The advantage of this is that it's easy for me to add the tone to match the pictures in PP - even if I won't hear the effect until I roundtrip through AU.

Is there a way of having an inverted side-chain source (so I'd only need one track with tone)? Seems like a track can only feed one side-chain input anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's an Audition project that kind of works. Can't get the attack/release to work smoothly - plus I'm not super happy with my 'in the room' sound. 

Anyone wants to have a look at my science project and improve it (particularly the logic of needing two tone tracks - I'd ideally like some kind of A/B gate. 

In reality I think I'll just let the mixer deal with it. Might see if giving them the tone track as a guide to where we think the fx should be 'in the room' - which might help them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines