• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition CS5.5 is now Available for Purchase (Ignore - this is very old)

May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition.html

Attention all you existing Audition users, Mac Public Beta users, and other early adopters: I encourage everyone to download the 30 day trial of Audition CS5.5 and/or purchase it.

As always, we appreciate your feedback (positive and negative), and as you can see on the forums, we are listening.

If you're simply reporting a bug, please use the form here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

If you're making a request for a new feature, or an improvement on an existing feature, also use the form here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

If you're simply alerting us that there was something in a previous version that isn't in this version, please see this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/895/cpsid_89588.html

Also, feel free to search in the forum as we may have already addressed the question for another user.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First very quick thoughts on the trial:

1.  The download needs a warning that it proceeds to install itself staight after the download ends; there did not seem to be any option to save the file.  I downloaded it onto a non-editing machine and felt I had better let it install, even though I did not want the trial on that system.  I am not sure how to install it on a non-internet connected system?

2.  The program opens very quickly.

3.  You still cannot import the audio from an .mpeg video file.

4.  No scientific filters.

5.  It took me a while to spot how to preview Noise Reduction.

6.  I like having the waveform view above the spectral view.

Despite (6), (3) means that I shall stick; sorry.  Perhaps next time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan,

What sort of mpeg file are you failing to open and read the audio stream?  Do you have Quicktime installed on this system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 1440x1080 50i, mpeg-2 transport stream file shot on a Sony V1 and captured using Premiere CS5.

Yes, I have Quicktime (V7.6.2).  Gspot regards its MIME Type as video/mp2t.

I should add that "Edit in Audition" works from within Premiere, as with CS3, but this extracts only the portion of the clip that I have on the timeline.  I want to import the audio of the complete clip into Audition.  This works fine with a 1440x1080 .AVI, but no joy with .mpeg files - just as it was with CS3.

Message was edited by: Alan Craven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little new to Adobe Audition, that is I'm using the trial version until my full version comes in, and I'm having problems figuring out how to add a suround-sound /professional-sound to my mixes when I try to mix vocals to a karaoke track. That and, when i try to turn up the volume of a certain track, the quality gets distorted/cracky. I'd love some help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• New windows/arrangements
  • Realtime efx rack and preview in edit view
  • Adds some efx (vox enhancers)
  • Freq analysis in multitrack.  Still dislike the lack of phase analysis window, despite addition of phase meter.

Dislikes:

• New phase meter, or lack of a phase analysis window
  • Lack of color control (can only control wave foreground, background, waveform selection, and CTI.  At least overall brightness is still adjustable
  • Lack of multi-track insert function in multitrack view.  Can only insert one audio track at a time?
  • Lack of flexible toolbar control (groups,
  • Missing some efx (scientific eq filter)
  • Lack of customization of all windows (transport controls showing on selection/view window whether you want them there or not)
  • Lack of CD burning function.  I didn't use it much in AA3 because it was still inferior and hoped Adobe would actually improve on it.  No luck.
  • Workspaces don't save correctly when switching between edit and multitrack view (mixer window from mt view appears in edit view, though the mixer isn't used.  Recalling saved edit view workspace doesn't work).
  • Won't open AA3 .ses files.  New file is .sesx

Lastly, am I missing something or are there really no MIDI tracks in multitrack view anymore?

Overall probably not worth the $99 upgrade price I paid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very disappointed that the save as options are very limited to four???  What if I want to save to FLAC?  If I save to mp3, are they using a LAME encoder? 

These are the kinds of things that cause many of us to believe that Adobe only cares about video production.  Someone needs to talk to the Adobe suits about this.  They bought a dedicated audio company and software and are now systematically destroying it in the name of video post production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no good names left wrote:

I'm very disappointed that the save as options are very limited to four???  What if I want to save to FLAC?  If I save to mp3, are they using a LAME encoder? 

We're using the MP3 libraries direct from Fraunhofer, not LAME.  FLAC export is in our feature backlog database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe!

Why do I have to download the whole CS5.5 Production Premium (7GB!)

just for trying out Adobe Audition CS 5.5?

If you want to drink a beer, do you also want to drink a cup of coffee,

a cup of tea, a coke, a lemonade, an orange juice, a glass of water?

Have a nice evening and a nice night and a nice morning and a nice afternoon

and a nice day and a nice week and a nice month and a nice year...

Ok, thanks god the other packets are not included (yet)...

Chris, not amused ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download Audition separately and do not need to download the entire Production suite. Here's a direct link to the Audition Downloads page: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Durin

Many thanks for the additional download side! Adobe's download link leads me to

this package side since I did not see any other option.

Yes, I know, Adobe is a commercial thing, where money counts and they want

to (or have to) sell more than only Audition.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Durin!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Durin

It's the same I already tried, no hint of only Audition, sorry I just see this again:

ADA.jpg

Seems the times are definately over where you just had to download an .exe file

on the easiest way...

Regards and good night!

Chris (...now not amused and confused...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find that you have to download and install the download assistant before you get the software you're looking for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.  This is a download manager that handles the download and installation of whichever application you are installing.  I know, I know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Durin and SteveG

I first have to say I really appreciate your help and all what you are doing around the forum

here with a nearly unendlessly help to others.

It was funny, then I also had first to install "Adobe AIR" and ok, the "download assistant"

is not enought, it still needs a "download manager"...wow...fine...even great!

Ok, maybe soon we need an additional "download commander" as well who will tell the

"assistant" and the "manager" what they exactly have to do...

Perhaps a "download CEO" would be great which perfectly will tune the "commander"

with the "assistant" and the "manager" together for the downloads to your needs...

Maybe you both see the hints I am about to tell with those words a little to understand

my reaction.

So Adobe (not you Steve and either not you, Durin), but how about to make things

a bit easier again the next time?

Just some critics in an other way.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris.  This download manager was not something the individual product teams had anything to do with and it does seem cumbersome and confusing to use.  I'm going to share this feedback with the appropriate teams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those having problems using the Adobe Download Assistant, or who would like a direct download link in order to install on multiple or offline systems, you'll need to first visit Adobe.com and click Sign In to login or create an Adobe ID. 

Once signed in, you can access the direct installer file for

Windows at http://trials.adobe.com/AUDT/4/win32/Audition_4_LS7.exe

Mac OSX at http://trials2.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/AUDT/4/osx10/Audition_4_LS7.dmg

While I'm not in love with the assistant, it's usefulness is far more clear when downloading a Suite or the Master Collection.  Adobe relies on Akamai on the server end to help distribute load and determine the closest download location to you.  In addition, it handles resuming downloads better than browsers, and if you've ever lost a network connection 5.6 gigabytes into a 6 gigabyte download session, you'll appreciate that more than others might.  Audition has an installer footprint of around 130 MB on Windows and 230 MB on Mac, so it's less likely to be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Durin

Have already downloaded trial and still testing. I'm actually waiting for

some basic functionalities I got use to working for many years on Cool Edit

and its Adobe ofsprings 1.5 and 3.0

I have very high expectations regarding SC6

Regards,

Karol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days back, this had me confused, too.

This is the download assistant, but if you look at the bottom three options, as you have already discovered, they are for three versions of the Creative Suite,

and not for Audition individually. I can't recall exactly how I managed it, but I think that the download assistant allowed me to log in to my Adobe account, and only then proceeded to download the Audition trial. I wasn't overly impressed that there wasn't an 'Adobe Audition CS5.5' button to select. I felt that it wasn't being made as easy and obvious as it ought to be for someone who was interested in Audition to download and trial it.

Regards,

Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your login ID also needs to be an email address. My login ID has always been the same as my displayed name so it didn't work. I had the option to make my email address my login ID when I logged into my account but when I tried it somehow it wouldn't allow it !!!!!. So I had to create another Adobe account with my email address as the ID before I could download Audition with the Manager.

Hmm....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

permanentrecordstudios wrote:

1. Lack of customization of all windows (transport controls showing on selection/view window whether you want them there or not)
  2. Workspaces don't save correctly when switching between edit and multitrack view (mixer window from mt view appears in edit view, though the mixer isn't used.  Recalling saved edit view workspace doesn't work).
  3. Won't open AA3 .ses files.  New file is .sesx
  4. Lastly, am I missing something or are there really no MIDI tracks in multitrack view anymore?
  1. You can turn off teh transport controls in the Editor PanelScreen shot 2011-05-04 at 12.04.25 PM.jpg
  2. The app is no longer totally modal between edit view and multitrack view.  All the panels are there or not for each workspace.
  3. Look at SES2SESX mentioned on dozens of threads in this forum
  4. They're gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help on 1 (windows users Edit -> Show Editor Panel Controls).

In regards to ses2sesx I have read the other forums and it was more of a rhetorical statement.  Full functionality of ses2sesx is $20, AA CS5.5 isn't worth the $99 I paid already.  Shelling out another $20 for the "convenience" of using AA CS5.5 just isn't worth it.

Sadly I operate a music recording studio and rely on MIDI for machine control and MIDI recording.  Sonar, Cubase, Acid Pro, Logic, Pro Tools, and others do offer MIDI.  Audition CS5.5 renders itself completely useless to me in my studio setup.  I abandoned Cakewalk and Pro Tools over eight years after discovering Cool Edit and it's increased functionality over the others.  Audition CS5.5 has completely lost that competitive edge, and is now lagging behind most other DAW's.

Plus after reading about and discovering the lack of save as options (yeah yeah yeah, Adobe is gonna make it all better in the future blah blah blah), I'm sorry but AA CS5.5 is honestly a joke.

I only say all this as a devoted, but now sad user.  Your upgrades to this point have been spot on.  AA CS5.5 fails as a true music studio DAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree totally. Audition CS5.5 is inferior to 3.0 - it's a downgrade.

As a devoted Audition (and formerly Cool Edit) user of over 10 years, I eagerly awaited this release and, after much speculation that the program had been discontinued, I was ecstatic to hear about in April - until I installed it. While I would otherwise love the aspects that have been improved (multi-core processor support, frequency analysis displaying regardless of whether you're in edit view or multitrack view, background processing, improved cosmetics and better use of screen real-estate), they're redundant when considering what's been taken away from this product.

The lack of midi tracks is a nuisance, but the lack of midi controller support makes using this in a studio setting ridiculous. Also, while looping is supported, there's no ability to stretch the time or alter the pitch of your loops, let alone match session tempo/key settings, which basically makes looping POINTLESS for most uses. Just about every hip hop track I work on makes use of this feature and in today's market, that's a huge percentage of my clients. But hey, what if I just wanted to work with live band clients? Well now you can't group clips. This has got to be a stupidly simple line of code. Why is it not added? So if I wanna make a composite of drum tracks, or make slight edits to their timing, I have to click each of my (minimum) 8 drum mic tracks each and every time I move anything in the slightest. But hey, I might as well waste all the time (and much more) that I saved from better processing, right? No, not right. And even if I wanted to go ahead and still attempt to make use of this software, when it came time to lay those first drum tracks down, I'd have to work with drummers that have entirely perfect timing, because THERE'S NO METRONOME!! This just blows my mind! Not to mention the handfuls of effects that were missing - obviously something that would throw a wrench in the works for anyone who previously made consistent use of them.

It's as though all the decisions about this "upgrade" were made by programmers, not the people who actually use this software professionally. If this software was still using the good name of Cool Edit Pro, I'd recommend a switch to Cool Edit Novice. Every "improvement" on this software is redundant because the software is largely useless for standard recording studio practice. It's like making a super fast, fuel efficient car that lacks a steering wheel.

Efficiency applied to something that's ineffective is the epitome of wastefulness.

It saddens me that this upgrade was SOOOOO BAD that I actually opted to get my money back - which I might add was a strenuous process with poor customer service. Although to be fair, it's probably difficult to serve a customer that feels entirely ripped off.

So now I'm back to the same place I've been since 2008; patiently (for now...) awaiting an UPGRADE to Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A stupidly simple line of code"

Really?  Was it nothing more than a stupidly simple line of code that kept clip grouping out of this new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test.

Inity Arts & Music wrote:

Well now you can't group clips. This has got to be a stupidly simple line of code.

Really?  A 'stupidly simple line of code'?  Is that the only thing that kept it out of AA CS5.5?  Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines