• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition - Play button doesn't work??

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! So I'm editing a minidocumentary in Adobe Audition and I have the clips and all and I can edit it just fine, but when I try to click the play button it doesn't start playing at all? I can click the play button but it doesn't do anything. The spacebar doesn't do anything either, nothing starts playing! Help please, I have this assignment due TOMMORROW!

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens it means only one thing; that Audition isn't connected correctly to your sound device. You need to go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware and select an appropriate device class and device. You should end up with something like this:

Hardware settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is work great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve G - you are from Heaven! My space bar now plays my audio track and I can edit my voice audition, I'm very grateful- Michelle Garforth-Venter xxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

magnhildolise: Did SteveG's reply answer your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there is no other explanation for why the play button doesn't work - the only thing that will stop it is a disconnect between the transport and a valid sound device. So, the question is correctly answered (otherwise the OP would have been back, I suspect), but a failure to implement it correctly would still result in no playback, which means that you will have to investigate further. One area in particular to look at is the class of driver being used - if it's set to WASAPI, try MME for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plugged in the headphones and now everything works great. I'm using

a Macbook Pro running the current OS. Audtition 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zidar  wrote

I plugged in the headphones and now everything works great.

Socket detection effectively renders the device as 'not valid' when they aren't plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the problem some of us experience is that this happens after perhaps an hours editing where everything works fine, and then suddenly when you want to "prehear" the content of the timeline, you just can't start playback. Everything else works fine (thank God, so at least you can save and restart), and I can theoretically keep editing, but without any possible means of checking the end-result before exporting, the program is worthless. My quickest solutions so far has just been saving and restarting after which it worked fine again.

(NB! My recording booth is a separate building, so I never use Audition for recording. Everything is just transferred to Audition when I go back to my house and my editing room in my basement. FOr some time I thought it had something to do with the fact that I record 32bit Floating point audio, but after testing with simple old fashioned 24bit recordings the outcome is the same, so I am still stuck at the solution of restarting audition. Luckily Audition is one of the fastest Adobe apps so it will restart in a matter of 2-3 seconds, so it's not that big a deal, only a minor nuisance. On the other hand I would still appreciate if someone has found a solution to this during the last three years since someone last accessed this thread) :-))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines