• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition 2015.2 MUTES at Random

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been editing several large projects in Audition over the summer and fall and have run into the same issue with Audition over and over again: it will randomly mute various clips in the multitrack editor. And I don't mean the files don't play any audio when I hit playback, I mean they are grayed out and actually "muted".

I don't know how, I don't know why. I think that it might occur when I select something else to be muted. But I can't prove that, as it happens offscreen in a different part of my track, on random different tracks. Basically, any random file can suddenly become muted and the only way to know is to scrub through your entire project searching for grayed-out files. On any kind of large project (a feature film, like I was working on), this is insane.

I'm so sick of this. Adobe, you royally screwed yourselves with your horrific update to Premiere, and Audition is just as bad. I've said it before during this summer, and I'll say it again: you have lost a loyal customer.

I'm curious if other people have had this same issue. I get it both on my workstation and on my laptop, both recent and up-to-date computers with Windows 10.

If there happens to be a fix for this frustrating, program-breaking bug, I would love to know it!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that anyone has come across this problem before that we have heard of. You say which version of Audition that you are using but not which platform or OS? occasional others have had clips that haven't played but not, AFAIAA, being muted and greyed out. Where are the audio files whose clips have problems stored? This sort of thing might only happen with audio files that are stored on a network and being streamed over it rather than locally stored files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did say the OS, its windows 10 for both. In both cases the media is stored on an external drive; one, a hardware RAID connected via eSATA and the other a G-RAID drive via USB3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using network storage for your clips, and there are loads of them that have to stream, then it wouldn't take that much to knock one into an 'offline' state and mark it as such. And if they really are going grey, then that sounds like what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how that would make sense, but I'm working from directly-connected external drives designed for editing. The files do get grayed-out, but they also actually say "mute" on them, exactly as if I had muted them myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelWiller wrote:

I can see how that would make sense, but I'm working from directly-connected external drives designed for editing. The files do get grayed-out, but they also actually say "mute" on them, exactly as if I had muted them myself.

I do the same thing, but I don't ever recall anything muting that I didn't mute myself. If you close the session with the clips muted, and then reopen it, are the mutes in the same place? Just trying to establish whether this is a session file (or backup) writing issue, or something else more sinister...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few examples but here's the best and most recent.

Yesterday I rendered what was meant to be a final mix and it had muted a couple sound effects on the front end. So, frustrated, I went back to fix it. And I discovered that there were also several lines of dialogue muted in the project itself. HOWEVER, in that render, presumably from the same exact project file (since I just saved and quit, didn't edit it at all), the lines were audible.

To to be clear, the sound effects matched from project to render: both muted. However, somehow the dialogue got muted in the multitrack after I rendered even though I wasn't editing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Can you send the .sesx session file to audbugs@adobe.com and note which clips were surprise muted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've sent the file over. Hilariously, after I fixed the issue above and re-rendered, it happened AGAIN with several lines of dialogue. This is insane.

Also, I did check if I had accidentally created a shortcut for the "mute" function, and it was unassigned. I assigned it to numpad -, so maybe that will help, who knows. I kinda feel like this occurs with I right click and mute/unmute some OTHER clip. It goes and finds random ones to mute along with the intended clip. That's all I can figure. Maybe using the shortcut will mitigate that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines