Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition Backup Files incomplete -- work lost

Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been assembling a podcast, with 8 tracks, including a heavily-edited interview, some rather clever sound effects and music segues.  We just laid in a VO track using punch-and-roll, and it was all cutting together beautifully.    BUT....last night, when I was about an hour from completing -- the project just vanished.   No spinning beachball, no warning.   As if a witch had cursed it ...  poof.  

I confidently restarted Audition and sent in a crash report, but when Audition reopened the project, it was missing all the work done over the past two days -- instead of 8 tracks, there were two.  Two crappy tracks.

I started tracking back in my backup files and realized with mounting horror that EVERY backup file going back to yesterday afternoon was exactly the same.  The dates were off -- the imprinted date and time in the file did not match the "Date created" or "date modified" in my (old) iMac.  They were all the same small size -- 76kb.  

I finally callmed down and went back down the list of backup files, trashing all the 76kb versions  -- until I found an .sesx file at 156k, which does contain the eight tracks, but was created at  3pm yesterday, when the error apparently started compounding itself.  I have done a TON of work since then, which is not in this multitrack project, and every backup since then is the same, 76kb, 2-track file.  

I have a practice of renaming my session file with the current date and time, then saving to the same folder (all are located on a remote 5TB Media Storage Drive.  My internal drive is too crowded to handle Audition projects and media).    The project files seemed rather jumbled -- projects inside of projects, multiple backup folders within backup folders -- so something is wrong there.  I have autosave set to save every 3 minutes, with a limit of 100 backup files -- which obviously the program is not doing. 

The computer on restart was very sluggish and commands obeyed only after significant delays, so I  ran disk utility, Etrecheckpro, and CleanMyMac.  No major problems were discovered, except  limited RAM -- I have maxed out at 16gb.  But I shut down all other apps while running Audition, so that should not be a problem.

Once I found what is apparently the most recent back-up, I exported that session, with full media files, to a second external drive, where I will leave it alone.  

I am with some trepidation about to open the latest session and start rebuilding this episode, which MUST go up today.   I optimistically named it "recovery."

What precautions should I take, other than wearing a mask and social distancing?

Thanks very much.  Etrecheck report available on request.

Rob

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?