Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Audition fans.

As promised, I wanted to share the news and state of Adobe Audition as well as answer your questions about the new release and what the future holds. 

First, Adobe announced the release of CS 5.5 Monday morning to coincide with our presence at the NAB convention in Las Vegas, NV.  Among the updates to the other applications in the Production Premium suite, the big news from my perspective was the inclusion of Audition into the Production Premium and Master Collection suites.  Soundbooth, the previous audio tool offered in the Suite, has been discontinued.

Next, a little bit of history:  Adobe purchased Syntrillium 8 years ago in order to provide an audio solution to their video and broadcast production users.  At the time, Premiere Pro was a Windows-only NLE and Cool Edit, now Audition, was a great fit in the original Video Suite.  However, as Adobe recognized the value in the Suite model for users and the bottom-line, the other applications were updated to support Apple and Windows users.  The Audition team looked at the 15 years of legacy Windows code and were not confident the application could be ported quickly enough to satisfy the CS release schedule.  As an audio editor was necessary in the suite package, we created Soundbooth which was a simple audio editor built on top of Premiere Pro's media playback engine.  This enabled the team to provide value to the Suite, but the limitations of a playback engine crafted to handle large video files was not ideal for detailed audio production.  As a tool to assist with basic audio editing and restoration needs for a primarily video and motion graphics audience, it did find a userbase who appreciated the simplicity and ease of use, although leaving audio professionals and more savvy users wanting more.

Immediately after each release of Soundbooth, the team continued working on Audition but it was apparent that Adobe did not need two audio tools in production and the more popular application was absolutely Audition.  We made the commitment to build Audition as a fully cross-platform solution and replace Soundbooth in the line-up, offering the power and fidelity of Audition without making the transition for Soundbooth fans too jarring.  For at least the past 7 years that I've been with the team, the most-requested feature has unequivocably been "Bring Audition to the Mac!"  There are numerous on-line petitions and forum threads demanding this happen.

So we've spent the past two years re-writing Audition from the ground-up, preserving or updating our core DSP, modernizing the code to take advantage of current hardware and operating system technology, and emphasizing increased productivity and speed with every feature.  Updating or completely rewriting 15 years of C++ code takes time, and we recognized rather quickly that we were not going to reach feature parity with Audition 3.01 with this release.  We continuously prioritized our feature database based on our visits with customers big and small, and our awesome, secret, pre-release team.  Our core userbase has always been broadcast - radio, podcast, and video - and our focus for the CS 5.5 release was to build a platform that supported those workflows but remained open and flexible enough that expanding the application to support other audio users would be simple and straightforward.  As we approached the end of our development cycle, I think everyone on the team and in our pre-release program recognized how strong this application is and will be moving forward, even if some of our pet features did not make it into this release yet.

In the next post, I'll describe what's new in Audition CS 5.5, what didn't make it into the application yet, and what we hope to accomplish in the next release.  As I mentioned before, Adobe has publicly committed to a more open release schedule with a major release approximately every 24 months with an additional mid-cycle release.  Not only will this allow us to bring more features to you more quickly, but will help with any hardware updates and purchasing decisions our users may encounter.  Additionally, and currently Audition is not part of this program yet, Adobe is offering installations on a subscription model with all upgrades rolled into the cost.  It will be interesting to hear feedback from our users how this solution works for their needs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 192 Replies 192
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback and specific use cases.  While I can't yet announce which specific features and functionality will be in Audition CS 6, I might be able to suggest downloading the trial edition when it's released in a few months.  You're very likely to be satisfied.  Once Creative Suite 6 has been announced, I'll be able to discuss the new and returning features and improvements.

Durin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One word: ReWire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Durin.

Hopefully Scalable Fonts are now included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble getting information about using superior drummer with my AU 3      what other software drum will work in AU 3??? I really like superior drummer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EZDrummer works fine with AU3 - can't imagine why Superior Drummer would be any different

Either way this post should be over in the AU3 section rather than the CS5.5 one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Durin. First off, I want to thank you for all the attention these issues have been given. Good job! Second, an apology. I have told you about my gripes with the lack of ReWire/MIDI/Sync control, but I have failed to say that I love everything else. Sounds great, has never crashed, looks great, works great with Premiere, no hiccups. Great job, just need to sync up to my music production software! Pleeeeeeese

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that AA3,0 works with Addictive drums too. I found that midi editing in Adobe audition wasn't that smooth og that's why I do any midi work in other software. Maybe I gave up too early.

Before that I tested many VSTi instruments in Audition 3,0. Most of them worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition CS6 is now out the door. This release addresses many longstanding customer requests and includes some really impressive new features (Spectral Pitch Display, Automatic Speech Alignment, and Effects Side-Chaining to name a few).

Here's a high-level list of new features.

And here are details about where to find new functionality in the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm becoming hopeful, but cautious before I get excited again...

Few question about Audition CS6 just to see what's there and what isn't yet (or may never come back). I can certainly live without some of them, but I'd feedback on each of these former features:

1. Is there midi instrument capabilities (midi tracks)?

2. DirectX Plugins?

3. Looping (particularly loops that adjust to session tempo)?

4. Rejoining split clips

5. The various effects mentioned here: http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/kb/features-replaced-implemented-audition-cs5.html - Any of them back with this release?

6. Can I open an AA3 session (or an export of it) without losing effects and looping?

That's all that comes to mind right now. How are these few things in CS6?

Also, am I still able to upgrade from AA3 for $99? With 5.5 having been useless for me, I'm hoping that if this version is effective in doing what I need it to I'll be able to upgrade from my last useful purchase.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunetly no MIDI, no DirectX. For opening AA3 sessions you need to convert them with ses2sesx ( http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ses2sesx.html )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure.  There were already some answered by others, so I held back.

1. Is there midi instrument capabilities (midi tracks)?

No.  A explained in other threads, MIDI composition has never been a core competency of Audition and I was not happy with our implementation in Au3.  If we decide to tackle this again in a future release, I will insist we either build a robust solution, or a unique tool that is not available in other applications and which is more appropriate for Auditions "multitrack recorder" style of workflow.

2. DirectX Plugins?

Also discussed in another thread, but DirectX plugin support has been largely abandoned by Microsoft and plugin manufacturers in favor of VST and Audio Units.  We've focused on ensuring we can provide the best support for these active formats.

3. Looping (particularly loops that adjust to session tempo)?

The more advanced looping features remain in our feature backlog, and I've been pushing to keep these near the top half of the list.  CS6 makes stretching loops to a particular beat length simpler with real time clip stretch and snapping, but it does not yet automatically retime loops to match any arbitrary tempo.

4. Rejoining split clips

Not in CS6, but also high in my own want list for the next release.

5. The various effects mentioned here: http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/kb/features-replaced-implemented-audit ion-cs5.html - Any of them back with this release?

The following Audition 3 effects have not yet been directly ported in CS6, though some may be available through new tools:

Scientific Filter

Generate Noise

DTMF Signals.  (This can be accomplished manually within Generate Tones, to some degree)

Pitch Bender

Stereo Field Rotate

Stereo Expander

Pan/Expand

Graphic Panner

Binaural Auto-Panner

Convolution

Dynamic EQ

Quick Filter

Scientific Filter

Dynamic Delay

Echo Chamber

Multitap Delay

Envelope Follower

Frequency Band Splitter

Vocoder

6. Can I open an AA3 session (or an export of it) without losing effects and looping?

The Au3 XML session import addresses looping and directly mappable parameters.  A free tool provided by several of the active forum users here enables batch conversion of almost every session file from CEP1.0 through Au3 and handles a significant amount of remapping and third party effect conversion is available from http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ses2sesx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thank you Durin, and thank you Ron. That comparison list is perfect. Makes it a lot easier to see exactly what's different. And Durin, knowing that the couple unimplemented features that are high on my list are also high on yours is a little reassuring. It's a shame to see that my priorities with the included effects seem to be the polar opposite of you guys (I do a lot of dub, so echos and delays are top of my list. Plus some of the multitrack effects are useful at times.), but effects aren't the most important aspects.

It seems overall, the most important missing elements in 5.5 (clip grouping, metronome, controller, etc) have been reintroduced. I'm gonna take to the trial version first, but I think it may actually now be beneficial for me to upgrade from 3.0, which is good to see!

Thanks for the info, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the manual edit of individual samples been added to CS6?

I just used this in Audition 3.0 (not avaialable in CS5.5) in a recent mastering session where a clinent must have abutted takes when comping. Since the abuttment wasn't on a zero-crossing it caused a glitch (pop) in the mix that was not easy to fix...other than to manually edit a bunch of individual samples to smooth out the signal...which worked great, by the way...

If manual sample edit is not available in CS6, please add it to CS7.

Thanks,

Michal Putrino

Mastering Engineer

Austin, TX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately this is not back, nor is the ability to right-click-and-drag on the amplitude scale to zoom in on any portion of the amplitude range.  Both are important for restoration and mastering troubleshooting, so I agree seeing this -- eventually -- would be really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael Putrino wrote:

Has the manual edit of individual samples been added to CS6?

I just used this in Audition 3.0 (not avaialable in CS5.5) in a recent mastering session where a clinent must have abutted takes when comping. Since the abuttment wasn't on a zero-crossing it caused a glitch (pop) in the mix that was not easy to fix...other than to manually edit a bunch of individual samples to smooth out the signal...which worked great, by the way...

Does not the Auto Heal Selection work across a few samples to sort out those sort of problems? It is easily available via a keyboard shortcut in Favorites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooooo..... Still no ReWire or any Midi. Should I finally abandon Adobe and move on to greener pastures? To re-state my aggrivation: Adobe states that Audition is not a music production software. I have no problem with that. HOWEVER, Audition provides me with no way to sync up to my music production software. Silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lowe-Fi wrote:

Sooooo..... Still no ReWire or any Midi. Should I finally abandon Adobe and move on to greener pastures? To re-state my aggrivation: Adobe states that Audition is not a music production software. I have no problem with that. HOWEVER, Audition provides me with no way to sync up to my music production software. Silly.

While, as a sound designer, I jump back and forth between Audition and Vegas on an hourly basis, I can't say I see the same need when I'm composing music. Just curious about your workflow here -- what aspects of Audition are you looking to utilize in music production, and how would you go about it? If Audition doesn't feature a sequencer component, what would be on your wish list?

I'm asking, since I consider DAW:s like Cubase or Ableton Live to be more of a "cauldron" -- you pour stuff in, but you don't really take anything out except the finished meal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice upgrade but steel missing Rewire or midi sequencer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines