• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition Freezing and huge session file sizes.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Audition for podcast editing - nothing too fancy, wav files from mics on four separate tracks, duration about an hour and individual compression/ vocal presets on the ffects rack for each track.

With the last few episodes, I've come across the same problem - as I work on the project (editing out bits and muting/unmuting mics to eliminate bleed when only one person is speaking), the filesize of the session grows bigger and bigger, and audition seems to have trouble with it. I get frequent freezes - at first just a few seconds every now and again, but the more complicated the session gets, it eventually ends up freezing for a minute or more after a few inouts from me. 

With my last project, the filesize when I first imported all of my audio was 11MB. I've just finished editing, and it's now 750MB! Surely can't eb normal that it's that big, just from adding edits?

It's been the same with the last few projects I've made, even though I've started them from scratch each time, double checked settings etc. The audio files are the same sample rate and bit depth as the project

I have a pretty beefy computer, Windows 10, i9900k, 64GB RAM, using SSDs for OS and media storage. Audition updated to latest version.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

I've just edited the file so that the OP can use it

@mivangen I have uploaded the file so you can see it. It is the clip's <properties> tag which bloats exponentially with each instance - ducking is in evidence in the tag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the session folder, can you give us an idea of the contents of it? We'd need some idea of how much audio there is, as this is the only thing that will make the folder substantially larger - I doubt whether the actual session file itself would.

You should have been asked once whether you wanted to store copies of the associated audio in the same folder as the .sesx file (generally a good idea, especially if you are going to take the session elsewhere), but unless you change the content of those files specifically (and rename them), there should only be single copies of the files that actually belong to the session there. There will, though, be multiple copies of the .sesx file, as that's the important one to back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for replying!

Sorry, when I said 'the session' keeps growing, I meant the audition session save file, the .sesx itself, not just the session folder. There's nothing unusual about the folder, other than the weirdly increasing size of the save file.

Just the audition sesx file is now 750MB - I know this is extremely unusual, which is why I'm posting. And I'm sure that whatever bug is causing this is also what's causing the frequent freezing. Somehow the save file is getting unmanageably big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Ducking in the Essential Sound Panel?  We've had reports of that bloating session size and are investigating a fix in that area.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Hmmm. I did use a little bit of ducking (literally over five seconds of dialogue). But I just deleted it (and all of the audio types from the Essential Sound panel), and the file is still 750MB! So I'm guessing it's not that in this case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking.  That does not appear to be the issue here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just edited the file so that the OP can use it

@mivangen I have uploaded the file so you can see it. It is the clip's <properties> tag which bloats exponentially with each instance - ducking is in evidence in the tag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help! Working perfectly for now. I will avoid using ducking in similar projects for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this before and reported the issue

Zip up the sesx file and email it to me at info@aatranslator.com.au

Pretty sure I can isolate the issue and fix it for you until the devs get a fix happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you! I will send it over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines