Exit

Audition Import / Export to/from other DAWs

Mentor ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its done!

AATranslator is finally finished.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ is where you will find it.

Its been 3 months in the making and as I mentioned previously its not donationware but it is a fully functional demo only limitation is the number of tracks and 'clips'.

Many thanks to John Lundsten from  the UK for the idea of this project, for his tireless efforts testing the application and for his insight as well as the user guide.  Thanks also to Adrian Connelly for additional programming efforts and the interface and also dstDean from this forum for additional testing and encouragement.

Those who have supported me in the past (as at the time of this post) through donating for any of my previous applications are entitled to $50usd off the price for every application they have donated to me in the past.  For some that equals a free copy!  Never let it be said that I don't appreciate your support!

This application is not for everyone but certainly for anyone who needs to move their projects from one DAW to another it is certainly worth a look.

It definitely the only application which currently allows you to import/export from Adobe Audition!

There are many other DAWS in our sights and significant work has already been completed interfacing to Reaper project files and OpenTL files.  These will appear in a free upgrade in the not too distant future.

Enjoy.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
Mentor ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little hard to know what reasonable is - if you ask my wife (given nearly 5 months of pretty solid work) she would say $39 was nowhere near enough 🙂

$800 is over the top but I guess not if you have dumped a lot of resources into it only have one sale 🙂

I remember thinking when I wrote my first donationware app (and money was not the motivator) that if just 10% of users paid $10 - woo hoo.  What I should have thought was if just 10 users paid $10 - how good would that be 🙂

I don't know what reasonable is and I'm sure it differs for each individual?

We are thinking of trying to have the PT stuff as an additional feature that you pay for if you want it rather than jacking up the price for all but then I've already someone wanting to just buy the modules that they use - go figure.

We thought originally that $99 was a fair price but that got as all but nowhere so we purposely dropped it for a while to $39 and 2 dozen sales is not really enough to really even contemplate continuing the project 😞

Despite what it seems luckily money wasn't the aim of this project - and just as well   - and so we bat on.

I am open to suggestions but we are contemplating the PT functionality being somewhere between $99 & $149 its just that there has been and is so much work.  We also have a pile of requests for additional DAW support so I'm hoping that we haven't got this whole thing wrong and that there is a need for a (reasonably priced) product like this.

I don't expect everyone to by this product - would be nice though 🙂 - as I said before I don't use it because I don't have a need for a product like this - I'm just hoping the need is greater than it looks at the moment.

Besides, someone has to keep the other guys honest 🙂

PS I hope this doesn't come across sounding like a PITA Aussie - you really have to get to meet me to know that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think $99-$149 is pretty reasonable considering the amount of features in the software...  I just wouldn't pay more than my DAW for software that I'd only use on occasion...

But I'm sure once more people get word of your software you'll find yourself with more customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well its a challenge thats for sure 🙂

I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it and then what's the point?

And as I've said before pressure is what turns coal into diamonds LOL

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will be putting out a 'limited' PT version in a few days.  The plan (cunning in its simplicity) will allow buyers to import PT5 files for the current $39USD price but will be limited by a relatively generous track/clip/audio file limit.

But wait there's more  grin

We will also throw in Sony Vegas XML import support as well (thanks Mark Wippey (UK) for his request and input).  The Vegas XML has much more detail than the Vegas EDL/TXT.

Much better than throwing in a set of steak knives and a block of flats in Tasmania  grin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just finished an AGM and have come to the conclusion that we cannot maintain both development resources and the price cut so unfortunately the price cut MUST end with the next release.

The next release of AATranslator is very nearly ready.  Just trying to finalise some on screen help and then we are good to go.
This release will see the addition of a Vegas XML import functionality and the ability to import a ProTools (v5) session file from both PC & MAC.

PT & Vegas XML export, Acid, Sonar, AA ses files and others are on our list to look at including.

Those who purchase before the next release will receive this amazing and useful piece of software for only $39USD including free upgrades.

When released the current $39USD discounted price will end and the price for the 'standard' version will return to $99USD.

The 'standard' version will have one limitation which is a restricted PT track count.
The 'enhanced' version will have full PT access and soon after an export to PT function.  The 'enhanced' version will cost an additional $49USD.

If you are thinking of purchasing this software I urge you to do so before the next release while you can still get it for the bargain price of $39USD.

Even at $99 this is very good value but if you only ever use this application once or you think you may need to use it in the future do yourself a favour and buy it now before you have to pay more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly we have decided to only increase the price of the 'standard' version to $49USD and the 'enhanced' to $99 so thats good news.

Release will go up tomorrow night - its all done but must sleep now 🙂

Secondly, we have a beta version of AATranslator which reads AA 1.5, 2 & 3 session files and some CEP 2000 sessions

We would appreciate if anyone had say 2 or 3 session files of each CEP version so we could ensure as much backward compatability as possible.

If you could you email them (no audio) to me via the web site http://www.aatranslator.com.au we would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW while I've been waiting for JL to put the finishing touches on the doco, step by step guides and 'tip of the day' stuff (of which there is heaps now) I've been working on importing SES files.

Obviously a heap of testing to do but we can now read AA3, AA2, AA1.5 and CEP 2000 no problem.
Just have to finalise track pan, gain, mute & solo for AA2 & 3 and it will go into the version after this one we are releasing very, very shortly.

Seriously if your thinking about getting this app do it real fast we have finalised a price of $59 for the standard version so get it now while its only $39.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick note to let you know that version 2.0 has finally been released.

It has a totally rewritten installer so uninstall your old version first – after that any new versions will take care of upgrading things automatically.

The new version has a heap of fixes and enhancements including ‘tip of the day’ and some step by step guides.

It also has a Vegas XML import and for the ‘Standard’ edition a limited ProTools v5 import function (12 tracks, 4 clips or 4 audio files)
This was rather than force everyone to pay for ProTools functionality that they don’t need.

We have already started on a ProTools export function and we have import of Audition’s native SES files for v1.5, 2.0. 3.0 & some versions of Cool Edit Pro already running in beta versions.

A lot of effort has gone into this one so I hope you find it useful.

Lots more to come.

Thanks again for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got around to looking at earlier versions of AA/CEP and currently have a beta version of AATranslator running which will import CEP 1.2, 1.2a, 2.0 2.1 as well as AA 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 & 3.0. - we may look at earlier versions of CEP if there is a demand.

Just have to sort out the old AA & CEP track panning algorithm and a bit more testing and then we will release it.

We also have Presonus' new 'Capture' xml covered which will import into their new 'Studio One' daw

Their may be some other stuff but quite frankly I'm too tired to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...  With all this information you have you could probably start on your own super DAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I did I can tell you that it wouldn't be anything like PT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next version of AATranslator is almost ready - it will read all versions of CEP & AA from CEP1.2 plus export to Presonus 'Capture' XML and we also added a few fixes etc to the Cubendo import.

We have been chipping away at reading OMF for some time (in between versions of AAT) along with reading AVID log files and writing OpenTL files.

Hopefully some of these will make the following release.

And no, no Super DAW - I like Audition too much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Audition too

Maybe Adobe should buy you guys out (or buy a license) and offer the complete AATranslator package as part of Audition...  It would make a nice addition to the application don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RonNovy wrote:

Maybe Adobe should buy you guys out (or buy a license) and offer the complete AATranslator package as part of Audition...  It would make a nice addition to the application don't you think?

Hmm... I can't see that Adobe's 'competitors' would exactly see that in the same light...

It's okay (well, more than okay really)  for somebody to produce something like this on a freelance basis, because that isn't Adobe rubbing everybody else's nose in it - but for Adobe to adopt it formally would probably be rather more than the competition (if that's what it is) would probably tolerate.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that Suite Spot hasn't had a 'cease and desist' letter from those ProTool idiots' lawyers anyway - but if Adobe were to do this, I'm pretty sure that they'd get the hawks onto it immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... Would the session files the program saves be property of the company that wrote the software?  I do believe you would have ownership of your own creation no matter what form it is in.  I mean you wouldn't pay royalties to Adobe for music you mixed and mastered using Audition right?

A translator is pretty much just converting your work from one form to another on your own storage space, but again it is still your work no matter what form it's in.  Does providing a translator to users break some copyright laws?  I highly doubt it...  As long as you don't dissassemble the program or use their code I doubt it breaks any laws to read/write work that doesn't belong to the software company.  And I don't think it matters who the translator is written by because it's still user created data being translated and not property of the software companies.  But I guess it's probably better left to a third party developer or group of developers...

If you don't own the data within a file, can you really own the format it is stored in?  I can understand patenting complicated algorithms like MP3, but I'd hate to have my simple bits and bytes of data held hostage by some company that knows nothing of my buisness or creative works...

Arg... It's all too confusing now... I think I'll take a nap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if a legal solution to stifle competition was viable PT wouldn't have encrypted their session files from v5.1

But hey what do I know - I'm just trying to help people and get filthy rich!  Well at least (I think) the first part is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RonNovy wrote:

Hmm... Would the session files the program saves be property of the company that wrote the software?  I do believe you would have ownership of your own creation no matter what form it is in.  I mean you wouldn't pay royalties to Adobe for music you mixed and mastered using Audition right?

You might think that, but it wouldn't necessarily be correct. For instance, have a look at this; and bear in mind that Adobe pay royalties to Fraunhofer for use of their MP3 coder, on the basis that you are using their code, certainly - but if you look at the bottom, you'll also find that they could charge you a royalty depending on the revenue you make from it - effectively charging you for use of your own product and distributing it in their format... which means that this:

A translator is pretty much just converting your work from one form to another on your own storage space, but again it is still your work no matter what form it's in.  Does providing a translator to users break some copyright laws?  I highly doubt it...  As long as you don't dissassemble the program or use their code I doubt it breaks any laws to read/write work that doesn't belong to the software company.  And I don't think it matters who the translator is written by because it's still user created data being translated and not property of the software companies.  But I guess it's probably better left to a third party developer or group of developers...

If you don't own the data within a file, can you really own the format it is stored in?  I can understand patenting complicated algorithms like MP3, but I'd hate to have my simple bits and bytes of data held hostage by some company that knows nothing of my buisness or creative works...

...isn't absolutely true at all, although to be fair, I don't think that any one organisation owns enough of all of the software involved to action it. But if we take ProTools and their proprietary session code format as an example, what we really have is only small companies providing translations, and those aren't exactly promoting it as 'we've broken ProTools'. But if Adobe did it, then the lawyers would scent an altogether bigger fish, and start looking at ways a la Fraunhofer of either making money out of it, or preventing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you are in the right you can still get starved into submission with court costs.

I don't think Adobe should be buying me out (though its a nice thought) I think they lose enough money with their own software

This market is not a very big market and you can see by the focus of (more or less) Avid/ProTools by the latest version of ProConvert that there is not enough money to put effort into these other formats.

If I was thinking about setting up a business to feed myself - this would not be the market to get into.

If I had a dollar for everyone who has told me how much money I was going to make converting PT I would have made more money than actually selling the product.

But seriously no company in their right mind wants their customers to be able to move their data to another DAW - they may not come back is what they think.

Sigh... Anyway its been a big day in the studio (and luckily THAT makes money) so its back to mixing (audio & bourbon)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I risk a law suit from Adobe but here goes......

We have been hard at it since the last release and we now have a new release available (v2.1).

This release is a free upgrade and it is our intention to continue to provide free updates for as long as possible.

This release adds the following features to an already impressive list of conversion possibilities.

Whats New:

Import function for :-

Adobe Audition session files (SES) for versions 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 & 3.0

Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro session files (SES) for versions 1.2, 1.2a, 2.0 & 2.1

Export functions for:-

Sony Vegas XML

Presonus Capture (xml)               

Cubase/Nuendo fixes

A few smaller fixes and enhancements

Thanks again for your support its only through sales that we can hope to continue our efforts

www.aatranslator.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

I'm not sure if I risk a law suit from Adobe but here goes......

No, that's the one large corporation that you don't run the risk with!

When complaints are received, they simply say "Nope - he's completely hands-off; we didn't help him and we're certainly not responsible for him". And when the phone call is over, they ROTFLTAO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of great points...  Maybe it's all better left as user to user software then.  I guess I should say don't make too much money and make yourselves look like a juicy target for those greedy lawyers...

But I can say one thing... No matter the form or container, my creation is still my own.  Encrypted, compressed or any combination thereof it's still mine and I'll do what I want with it.  Wheather it's saved in Audition SES files or some ProTools format created with ProTools software or Adobe software or some other software it doesn't matter.  The software is just the tool that was used to help do the job and it stops there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much bourbon and head bashing I'm actually making progress with the OMF2 translation - still lots to do but its starting to make sense in its own warped way.

I should have taken up quantum physics I'm sure it would have been easier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

I should have taken up quantum physics I'm sure it would have been easier

I think either way you'll collide with the heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the words of encouragement Al - we will have to try and get together for a coffee before you move up the mountains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines