Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition lagging badly during ripple/nudge

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Audition to edit my podcast, and am often using a similar command pattern to get rid of "ums" and other pauses --> time select, ripple delete time selected in all track, select clips to end of session, nudge left 5. To varying degrees, after a number of rounds of this pattern Audition begins to slow down dramatically and then freeze for 5-10 seconds. This happens specifically during the ripple delete or nudging commands. After it slows down, it will evnetually just get stuck on the nudge command as if I'm holding down the hotkey for it or as if I have hit it a bunch of times and a row, and it will just keep nudging uncontrollably for 15-20 seconds until it finally stops. Then I must undo all of those steps, save, and quit.

Once I quit and reluanch, it works fine again, and then after a few rounds, starts to slow. The thing is, there are times when this doesn't happen or only happens after a while. This week, it's happening after only 2-3 rounds of commands (meaning, after I delete and trim 2-3 "ums", I have quit and relaunch). I should add, this is the *only* time this happens, and the program works fine for every other edit/recording/playback need. Just not ripple deleting and nudging. 

I try to use a Loupedeck control surface, which I thought was causing the problem originally (can't say I noticed it before I got this). But even when I do this without the Loupedeck, it happens. Often, the Loupedeck will completely stop working as a result, until I restart my computer. 

Any idea what is happening and how I can fix it? Is it related to the Loupedeck, even though it happens when I am not even using the Loupedeck and have it unplugged? I am running Audition 2021 on MacOS Catalina, 3.4 ghz, 40 gb Ram, with 250 gb of available memory with no other apps open...

In the attached video clip, you can see the commnands and lag. It doesn't show the spinning wheel on my cursor for some reason, but it's there in real time. But I am highliting the time area and pressing my hotkeys right away. So the time between that and the clips rippling is what I am talking about, followed by the slowness of the nudging even though I am just pressing the key and waiting until I can press it again.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar issue! I get a ton of lag on my multitrack projects when I try to move lots of clips around together or when I ripple-delete. My computer's new, MacOS up to date, Audition is up to date, there's nothing in the effects racks, and I can't for the life of me figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. It's incredibly frustrating. I had an older version of Audition on a 2015 Macbook Pro and it ran smooth. Just updated to a brand new Macbook Pro i7 with Audition 14.4.0.38 and editing is very laggy, especially while ripple deleting tracks (which I am doing contstantly editing podcasts, like you). I really hope they fix this because it's killing my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was back and forth with Adobe support on two occasions, nothing we did significantly helped the issue. There is a problem with the software; I got a new computer for work and while the lagging is signficantly better, it can still lag for a few seconds when I ripple-delete in large multitrack projects. I wish I could give you something more helpful but I can tell you this:

I received a 2019 Macbook Pro for work, it's the same year and has virtually the exact same specs as my personal Macbook Pro that I was using Audition on before, but as I said, on my work computer it lags way less. I also discovered that the fan in my work computer was less active than the fan in my personal computer, which ran more often and more loudly. When I looked at the Activity Monitor in my personal macbook, I noticed that something called "kernal_task" was hogging up a ton of CPU. I did some research and long story short, there was in fact something wrong with personal computer, I did not have the same level of CPU available for Audition to use as I should have because "kernal_task" was overactive, and it was causing the lagging problem to be particularly bad. I took my personal computer in to Apple to get fixed and I haven't used Audition on it yet, but everything else is running more smooth, so I imagine the lagging is probably also better. 

This is by no means necessarily a solution to your problem, but if I were you, I would check your computer's CPU usage and see if anything is out of whack. For me,  a trip to the Apple store did much more to solve the issue than Adobe support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also get so much lag when I use ripple-delete in a multitrack sequence. Generally when I start a new session, there will be none for hours, but then once the lag starts, I have to reopen to make it go away, but it will be back within minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines