• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition & Media Management / Duplicate Files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working on a podcast series with two other producers. We are collaborating on the episodes together, one person doing the first pass of roughing in elements, another adding clips and other supplements over the top, a third adding in music, etc.

We are keeping the project in a shared Dropbox folder to which we all have full access.

When we create the initial multitrack session in Audition, it automatically copies all the referenced files into a folder within the folder where the .sesx file is, called "Imported Files". I like this feature, because it means everything needed for the project to relink lives in that place and isn't referencing stuff on, for instance, an external drive or whatever that might disappear.

Recently, I did a "Save As" of an .sesx file because I was planning on doing some work in parallel with one of the other editors. The idea was to split off and then import my changes into the other copy when done, since we were doing different things to the same basically locked baseline edit.

When I saved my dupe of the .sesx file, Audition began exporting/saving duplicate copies of all our media into the "Imported Files" folder. So we ended up with copies of files living right next to the originals, and doubled the amount of space the folder was taking.

In Premiere (I confess, I'm more of a video editor), this would all work seamlessly, because the project just points to a file somewhere when it references media. You can duplicate projects and reference the same media and nothing gets copied over and over unless you're trying to do that.

What is also strange is I have other projects where this workflow has worked fine - where someone will record, for instance, an episode of a podcast AND the ad reads for the same show, and some generic promos, all on the same long .wav file.

I can typically take the first .sesx file, save it as -episode, save it again as -ads, save it again as -promos, and all three of these .sesx files exist happily in the same folder referencing the same media and nothing ever gets duped by Audition.

So, my question is: why is Audition creating these unnecessary copies on our larger project, and is there a way to stop it?

Right now, we are going to just do it manually, by moving the copied versions out of the folder, re-opening the project, and re-linking to our original (identical) media. Which is fine, I just don't understand why it's happening in the first place.

Many thanks if anyone can offer insight into that! And because you're probably going to ask, we're all running Audition CC 2018.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen this before, but it sounds worthy of investigation. If you're able to narrow down when it happens and when it doesn't, I'd recommend filing a bug report via the link at Help > Send Feedback... 

However, I know that can be daunting when you're trying to get other work done.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/C.+Pegram  wrote

When I saved my dupe of the .sesx file, Audition began exporting/saving duplicate copies of all our media into the "Imported Files" folder. So we ended up with copies of files living right next to the originals, and doubled the amount of space the folder was taking.

There should be an option (like in a modal dialog) when saving to not do the duplicate/copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem.  In my case, I am putting together a podcast from several interviews.  In order to stay organized, I'm editing the interviews in separate timelines, then copy and pasting those edited pieces into a separate timeline for the final show.  So one interview is made up of two audio tracks.  I'll edit them, copy a portion that I like to the final show timeline.  Every time I do that, the track 1 and track 2 gets copied to the final show timeline folder over and over, even though it's the same track.  So now I have like 9 copies of the same two tracks because I've pasted portions of the interviews 8 times.  I'd like to just delete all of the unnecessary copies and relink the media, but that would take a long time.

I also come from the video world where these things are handled much better.  Looking forward to the modernization to this ancient program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines