Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue Yeti settings for audition

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Im trying to record a podcast episode using the Multitrack sessions Podcast template.

I am confused about the Input audio settings. See pictures below.

Should I use Mono or stereo? I am doing an episode with two people speaking.
1)Why is there only Front Left available for the Stereo?
2)And Why do I have to select either left or right for mono?? Which one should I use?

Any help would be very much needed

BR Julle

Näyttökuva 2019-06-14 kello 11.03.22.png

Näyttökuva 2019-06-14 kello 11.03.29.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely your best bet here would be to start again and not use the podcast template. We don't recommend that anybody uses it, as it's been set up specifically for one person's idea of what is necessary, and it's by no means applicable to anything else. And it has confused many new users considerably. Better to use just a basic stereo track to record on with no effects or anything like that in the monitoring chain, and add what is necessary for your particular situation afterwards.

If you use a Yeti stereo mic, then it has two capsules in it, and when placing the results in a mono track, you have to decide which one you are going to use. If you are using it for both speakers, then it's best to record it in stereo anyway; whatever happens you will get no separation between the speakers. This isn't the ideal way to record for radio-style use - a single mic per speaker is the best way to go, as you can keep some distance between them, and invariably get a better vocal pick-up. If you are using the stereo mic for just one person, then it won't matter whether you use the right or the left output; the person you are recording will be closer to the mic anyway, so there will be very little difference between the two outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

thank you for your help, I appreciate it a lot. 🙂

So instead of the podcast template, do you recommend me to select a "audio file" or a "multitrack session" with no template?

So if I select the Stereo as Input I can only choose Front Left. But you think that this is not a problem? How does having the Front Left effect the listener of the podcast?

If there would be only one person speaking in the episode, should I then select Mono and either one left or right?

Näyttökuva 2019-06-14 kello 12.01.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will notice that when you select Mono for input you do get two separate inputs from the mic numbered as (01M) and (02M) whilst for Stereo input you get (01S). Note the M and the S where M is for Mono and S is for Stereo. The 'Front Left' bit is just carried over from the Blue Yeti's channel labelling.​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I read an article where it is recommended to use always Mono even if two people are talking in the podcast.
So in this case, does it matter if I choose Mono with Front Left or Front Right?

BR Juulia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

juuliav61915594  wrote

Hi! I read an article where it is recommended to use always Mono even if two people are talking in the podcast.
So in this case, does it matter if I choose Mono with Front Left or Front Right?

As in my final sentence above - no it doesn't!

It's certainly easier to record two people using two mics on mono channels - but only if you've got two mics. If you only have one, and people are sat fairly close to it, then it really won't make a lot of odds. Whatever happens, this won't be so easy to balance up after the event - which is the huge advantage of using two mono mics onto two separate tracks.

As for the recording itself, then use Multitrack, 'None', and Stereo 44.1k 32-bit. This will give you six stereo tracks to play with, and anything else you need to do can be added later. If you want to add specifically mono tracks to the stereo session, then go to Multitrack>Tracks>Add mono audio track and one will be added (it will appear as track 7). Whilst it will look the same as the other tracks initially, if you hover the mouse over the right hand knob of the two in the control panel, you'll spot a difference; the mono track control will say 'Pan' and the stereo one will say 'balance'. If you want you can rename the tracks to be something more meaningful rather than 'track 7' or whatever - just click on the name and you can alter it easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines