Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Build in Adobe FX automation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried to add FX automation to the track in multitrack session. I added the FX and then below, I chose the RACK MIX envelope and added some keyframe points. During playing the mix the envelope didn't work. I can only use a straight bar (with no Keyframes at it) to set the regular proportion of RACK FX MIX. But I can't set the evenlope that changes the RACK MIX propotion in time.

What is wrong? Or what did I do wrong?

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Although I did try it as shown over a much longer period of time and it did seem to produce the required effect. But just not at that extremely short timespan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example.

All I'm trying to do is remove the shaker form the kick sample with a FTT filter.

I add the sample on the track, I add the FFT filter with an exact correction. Then I choose the envelope Rack Mix.

At the first screen: filter works, but for whole track (it is obvious).

And the second screen: filter doesn't work att all, although it has an envelope set.

I hope the screens will help.

works.jpg

no_work.jpg

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is the clip? Looking at your timescale in your images it only appears to be a fraction of a second. I don't think that track automation works down at that timescale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth saying that in the second image, your settings are arranged to make a fast transition from no effect at all to the effect on full.  With some effects, sometimes results are better if you use Volume/Rack Input or Volume/Rack Output rather than rack mix.  These two seem (to me at least) to give me the effect I want if my goal is to go from no effect all all to full effect over a period of time (or vice versa).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I did try it as shown over a much longer period of time and it did seem to produce the required effect. But just not at that extremely short timespan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response! I tried also for longer clip and... it works! And it is a little bit weird becasue the main reason I needed to use so short clip was to remove shaker from the kick sample. At the beginning I had done this with a Waves Q10 parametric VST3 plugin and It worked, but the problem was that after export all the VST FX didn't work (I created other topic with this problem: Export / Multitrack Session / Entire Mixdown with VST 2 / 3 ). So I decided to do the same with build in FX and I chose the FFT filter. I haven't had no idea that the clip should be long enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested also the VST3 effects with the longer clip, and after exporting entire session... it works! The difference is that with the VST plugins I hear the FX during playing in Audition.

So I have another question, how then should I do an automation processing at very short clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that you could apply effects to very short clips is to process them destructively in the Waveform editing view when you are not having to process them in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there IS one other cheat you can use in Multitrack.  Duplicate the track you want to process, on with the effect on throughout and one with it off.  Then zoom in really close and use the volume envelopes to switch tracks at exactly the right moment.  In effect you're literally doing a track mix.

Not elegant but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but will that work with a super short clip? That seems to be the problem with all methods using automation envelopes in Multitrack view, there seems to be a minimum quantising time between changes. Has anyone any idea what it might be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the length of the clip but in terms of the duration of the effect I've used what amounted to two vertical lines on the volume envelope on a number of occasions without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But it all depends on your timescale as to how 'vertical' your changes actually are. Looking at the OP's images his clip is only about 170mS long and the change in envelope about 1mS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion with that volume in/out settings. but I'm not sure that It is the same process I wanted to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines