Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I offset the metronome?

Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm mixing some audio for a video, and the music track does not start with its first beat at the start of my session, so if I turn the metronome on, although the timing (104bpm) is correct for my music track, it is out by half a beat or so. Is there a way to offset the start of the metronome, to sync it up with my music track? In other words, I'd like the metronome to start after a delay set by me....eg. half a second. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Paul

TOPICS
How to , Playback , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you can...I can't find anything.

If no one with more knowledge answers:

Can you just add the necessary amount of silence to the top of the track to get it in sync? You can cut the silence when you finish the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rag and Bone is essentially correct in principle, but I wouldn't do it like that... The problem is that the metronome doesn't actually put visible beats on its track, so there's no means to shift them - well not a simple one, anyway. There is a complicated way to do it, and that's to send the running metronome to an output on your sound device and then re-record it onto a different track. That will be visible of course, and you can reposition it where you want.

What is easier is to go to your Keyboard Preferences, and set something like the Z key to 'Select clips to end of session'. Put the cursor at the start, and now it's dead easy to pick up everything and shift it along. And if you get it wrong, you can  undo it and make the selection again. This is a slightly simpler (I think) method of what Rag and Bone is suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Steve, that's better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strange. In AA3.0 you could right click the  time position and select edit tempo, and adjust where the first bar & beat sat. I don't see that being possible in CC versions.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions, @Rag and Bone and @SteveG_AudioMasters_ . I did (previously) just shift my music track along a bit, do the editing in time to the metronome, then shift it back into position afterwards - but thought "this is not ideal! There must be a way to shift the 'zero' time of the whole multitrack session!"....but I guess there isn't! I shall add a feature request along these lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines