• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert audio.mp3 to audio.pcm

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have a file .mp3, for example abc.mp3, i want to convert it to abc.pcm.

i open it with audition cc 2018, then save as...

format i choose : libsndfile

format setting i try to choose all of them but none show abc.pcm . Why ? anyone can help, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.pcm is a format type, not a file type as such. All uncompressed audio in Audition is PCM, but if you want to save that, then you have to pick one of the .pcm file types (generally .wav). So if you look in Audition's files list you'll find an entry like this:

PCM.JPG

and the highlighed line should give you a bit of a clue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this option has *pcmthis option has *pcmthen go to format setting, i try to choose one by one, but nothing save as *pcmthen go to format setting, i try to choose one by one, but nothing save as *pcmi saw audition's file list has *pcm, but can't convert to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, it's not a file type. If you want to know more about this, look at the libsndfile home page, where you will see a table with various PCM format types down the left hand side, and file systems that can save those formats across the top. You will not find PCM in the top list, because PCM is not a file type; it is a format that can be saved in different configurations. So for instance a wav file could be, for instance, a 32-bit stereo PCM format, or equally well an 8-bit mono one. They would both be PCM files, as would be an .aiff. But PCM cannot be stored without defining the paramaters, and then placing them in a 'container' with a recognised extension. But that extension can't be PCM!

Libsndfile home page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But that extension can't be PCM!"

This is not factual. I have at my disposal several dozen files that are ".pcm" and they are readable in Adobe Audition.

This outright proves that .pcm is a file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From fileinfo.com:

What is a PCM file?

Uncompressed (raw) digital audio file; a direct representation of the digital sample values (1s and 0s) of an audio recording; stores audio in a format also sometimes used in .WAV and .AIF files.

It stands for Pulse Code Modulation. You can call a container anything you like within reason, but that does not make PCM anything other than what it is - a modulation format. If you want, it's perfectly possible to save MP3 files in a PCM container; in Audition libsndfile will interpret it as a PCM format. Oh, and the above information is factual; I'm afraid you have proved nothing. If you want to know more about containers, then look here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines