• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Device Class - Apollo Twin

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want a simple answer... (good luck with that)

I do only voice over work. I record and playback in mono single track.

IGNORE THIS SECTION FOR SIMPLENESS PURSUIT

Audition has recently become unhappy with me, or my audio interface, or life in general. Seems to be centered around its relationship with my UA Apollo Twin USB. Audition would not play my previously recorded files. Then it would play them back, but without sound. Then it wouldn't record from my mic. Now it crashes. And now it won't officially open... meaning it does not show up in Task Manager Processes, but will show up in Task Manager Details - figure that one out. And it always wants to load up my previous sessions.

So my journey to resolution has been what I imagine to be fairly standard. 

Level one: Uninstall, reinstall Audition, check all cables, reset my apollo, uninstall, reinstall apollo software. Check other DAW's - Audacity, was having similar issues until I reset the apollo hardware and "removed device" in the windows settings, device settings, Apollo Twin.

Now I am on to level two: new usb 3 cable, optimizing windows 10 ( https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/ ) new drivers for graphics card, usb root hub in device manager. Now I am continuing with the Sweetwater Resolving AI Issues and here at last is my question.

SIMPLENESS PURSUIT CONTINUED

Device Class is (surprisingly) not a standardized heading. ASIO, MME, WASAPI are my choices, which one should I use for my Apollo Twin?

MORE CONFUSION (potentially ignore)

On Universal Audio Support website, there are no results when searching for MME or WASAPI. They list ASIO and Windows WDM System Audio as I/O's. Audacity lists the choices as "Audio Host" and describes them as interfaces. Other sites list ASIO as a driver.

So are they devices? I/Os? Host Interfaces? Drivers? or all of the above?

UA listing WDM... so does that mean I choose MME or WASAPI based on how I feel that day? And - rhetorical - why the f*** don't they have those words in their support database?

Should I use ASIO4ALL and stop bothering people on this forum with long posts?

Thanks,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

I don't know why they are still listing WDM - that's been out of the window for a while now. WASAPI is similar to ASIO in some regards, but if it's not mentioned specifically, then don't try to use it. There's a basic requirement for the device to be MME compliant, but that may well not get to all the facilities on the Apollo, so the only realistic option is to use whatever they've provided in the way of an ASIO driver.

I had a look at the appropriate website, and a couple of things struck me: fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why they are still listing WDM - that's been out of the window for a while now. WASAPI is similar to ASIO in some regards, but if it's not mentioned specifically, then don't try to use it. There's a basic requirement for the device to be MME compliant, but that may well not get to all the facilities on the Apollo, so the only realistic option is to use whatever they've provided in the way of an ASIO driver.

I had a look at the appropriate website, and a couple of things struck me: firstly, are you attempting to run this via a USB hub? That doesn't seem to be a very good idea, as there are apparently only about two compatible ones. The second thing is - have you worked your way through everything it says here? https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/208139723-Windows-Setup-Required-Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not using a USB hub. I wrote that, but i just was updating all USB related drivers... and hub was one of them. But not using one.

BUT

Updated to the latest version of Audition out today. Did all the little tweeks suggested on the Sweetwater page. And changed device to ASIO and I am back up and running. Which one was responsible for it all working. No idea. but I am back in the saddle again.

I will check out the link you posted. Already opened it in a new tab.

So thank you for taking the time to reply.

(now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the buzzing sound that happens on certain words and life will be grand)

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines