• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distortion when recording in Waveform view

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting problem. I'm using audition for voiceover work using a focus rite scarlet solo and a Shure SM7db.  I've used it successfully for many years. However now all of a sudden, when I attempt to record in waveform view, the input is distorted - sounds like a robot voice. When recording in multitrack the recording is fine, no distortion. Additionally, when I record straight to QuickTime it sounds fine as well. Does anybody have any insight that might be helpful? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Audio hardware

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recording in Waveform view is significantly different from Multitrack. In Waveform view you aren't writing directly to your final file, but to a temp file. The recording only makes it to a final file (that you can access) at the point you save it. Before that, it's vulnerable. You haven't said whether this is on a Mac or a PC, but regardless, the first thing to try is relocating your  primary temp directory, ideally to a drive of its own - an external USB drive is fine for this - and see if that makes any difference.

I have to say that we don't recommend recording in Waveform view at all - primarily because there are rather more things that can go wrong, primarily associated with the temp file situation. Recording in Multitrack view is miles safer, because your recording is written directly to the final file as you go. Even if a catastrophe occurs (like a power cut) the recording up to this point can be recovered, so this approach has a lot more going for it, quite frankly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply Steve, but I wasn't asking about my work flow.  The fact that suddenly the mic input into Audition's waveform is distorted is strange.  Mic works fine on other recording software such as Quicktime, so I don't think is a hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines