• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fast Forward Playback without Affecting Pitch - Like Premiere

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to fast forward playback (pressing "L") without affecting pitch (like Premiere Pro, for example)?

Also, is there a way to use the mouse scroll-wheel to naviagate the timeline (like Premiere Pro). 

Can't grasp why Adobe doesn't have uniform UI across all their apps. Driving me crazy lol

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can't pitch-shift with J and L - and quite frankly the effect when you do it in Premiere is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned; I find that the clarity you get is a lot greater when you don't pitch shift. I also find that being able to scrub the timeline is a lot more useful than JKL anyway. YMMV.

Shift+Mouse scrolls the timeline, and Ctrl+Mouse zooms it.

The reasons for all of this are historical. Audition has been controlled this way for ever - right back to before Adobe even owned it, and altering the way the controls work would seriously hack off  millions of users the world over. And to an extent, the same thing goes for Premiere, of course. I think that Premiere's timeline control sucks big time, FWIW but I know that it would be pointless to complain about it, so I don't.

Yes it would be better if they were both the same - can't deny it - but I think that the way ahead (and I have no idea whether I could persuade anybody else of this) would be for both apps to have a choice of actions so that people could choose which way the mouse behaves for them. Of course this is far too sensible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you may have misunderstood my first question. When you fast forward playback in the timeline with Premiere, the audio still retains its original sound (no Daffy Duck effect) which allows for easier editting with long interviews or dialog.

I was hoping that Audition also offered this as I'm in the process of editting a few hour + interviews and would like to be able to fast forward though sections with the audio sounding horrific lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't misunderstood you at all. If you double the playback speed and you want the sound at the same pitch, you have to pitch-shift it down, so you can hear it at the original pitch. No, Audition doesn't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP just wants to be able to review footage in Audition more quickly, which is impossible when it chipmunks the audio, unlike in premiere where they allow you to playback faster but maintain pitch so you can save time reviewing and finding clips. OP is not interested in making this change to the footage permanent. Just for reviewing. I have the same complaint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I use the JKL playback in Audition, every time I make a change in the multitrack timeline, the sped up playback switches back to 1x. Is there a way to deal with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%. Lack of consistency in the UI results in me doing stupid things like editing audio material in Premiere.  I can't handle the high pitch, it's too irritating and I find I have a loss of comprehension. I can edit dialogue a lot faster in Premiere thanks to the pitch shifted shuttle. I only just started using Audition over the past couple of years, but back when I worked with audio more I used Pro Tools, as far as I can remember they've always had this feature (they certainly have it now), Adobe needs to get it together for Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. This is completely ridiculous that the UI differs so much across platforms made by the same company. I would much prefer to skim through audio to find what I need and I can't because of the damn chipmunk sounds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is late, but for others, if you select the clip you can go into the properties panel and under stretch set the mode to realtime and change the stretch percent. You can then quickly proof your dialog. Unfortunately it changes your time markers so finding the error is difficult. Hit m for marker and do some math on the time stamp is the only thing I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines