Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help removing weird ringing noise and thuds

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

testAudio.mp3 - Google Drive

^Here is a sample of audio that includes both of the problems mentioned: a weird ringing noise is very apparent at times, and then there are a few thuds from the table the recorder was on being knocked.

I experimented some with Dehummer to remove the ringing noise but I could not find a setting that worked. At 60hz, it was still very apparent.

I've already passed this audio through the noise reduction process a number of times.

I'm newish to audition. I don't know what to try from here out? Any ideas as to how to remove the ringing and the thuds?

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

As with all audio, it's really hard to tell what's going to fix it from any sort of compressed file - which will have eliminated significant parts of it, especially when it comes to any sort of continuous noise. Continuous noise is treated differently by the MP3 coder, so relative to the wanted sound, no realistic comparisons can be made.

The only way we're going to be able to give you any sensible advice about this is if you can provide an uncompressed (ie, wav) sample of it, with no previous pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all audio, it's really hard to tell what's going to fix it from any sort of compressed file - which will have eliminated significant parts of it, especially when it comes to any sort of continuous noise. Continuous noise is treated differently by the MP3 coder, so relative to the wanted sound, no realistic comparisons can be made.

The only way we're going to be able to give you any sensible advice about this is if you can provide an uncompressed (ie, wav) sample of it, with no previous processing applied, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve says, it's difficult to be specific with an mp3 file since that will have messed with the frequencies.  However, a couple of first impressions:

First, the "ringing" noise appears to be room echo--the mic was too far from the subject and there were too many hard walls for the sound to bounce off and get back to the mic.  If I'm right on that guess, there's little that can be done.

You might be luckier on the thuds though.  Try opening you file in Waveform View and turn on the Spectral Frequency View (Shift+D).  Select the Spot Healing Brush Tool (Keyboard B for the shortcut of the icon with a bandaid in front of a dotted circle on the tool bar).  Use the tool to draw over each of the thuds individually (it should be easy to identify them)  Depending on the size of the thuds you can change the pixel size of the brush with the control on the tool bar to the right of the healing brush.  As soon as you finish colouring in over each thud, the healing tool will be applied and it should eliminate the thuds and fill the gap with sounds from around it.  Sometimes you have to experiment with how much you can get away with colouring in before you can hear the patch.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One final thought...the slight hiss that's throughout the audio should be pretty well eliminated with the Noise Reduction trick from your other thread--getting rid of that would make the ringing a bit less obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Send me the file, I can fix anything with Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines