• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I a slip edit on multiple clips at the same time?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a track with hundreds of clips referencing the same file. I re-linked the source file to one which is longer. However, the clips now appear to be 0:45.130 out of sync with the original edits. I was thinking I could just slip edit them, but it seems like that can only be done one clip at a time. Is that right? Is there a way to relink a track to media that is a different length while keeping the cuts from the first part of the file?

It would be great to be able to slip edit multiple clips at the same time.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

You are correct; the slip tool only works on one clip at a time. In your situation, I'd be inclinded to edit the new file in Waveform view so that the start time is the same as your original file - that should put everything back to where it was when you edited it. If there's stuff you want from previous bit, then extract it as a file that can be separately imported into your session.

The snag with being able to select all of the clips and slip them is that if just one of them hits the limits

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct; the slip tool only works on one clip at a time. In your situation, I'd be inclinded to edit the new file in Waveform view so that the start time is the same as your original file - that should put everything back to where it was when you edited it. If there's stuff you want from previous bit, then extract it as a file that can be separately imported into your session.

The snag with being able to select all of the clips and slip them is that if just one of them hits the limits on the file (the start and end) then you wouldn't be able to slip any of the clips at all in that direction. And if you have one clip at the start of the file, and another clip that runs up to the end, then if you select all of the clips, none of them could be moved in either direction! Best answer if you want to replace a file is to make sure that the replacement starts at the same time as the original, and that the material lines up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification @SteveG_AudioMasters_ . I will try splitting the new material so the first section is the same length as the original material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines