How to enhance your voice when recording in Au

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
after watching tutorials and checking videos online I've decided to ask help in this forum as I believe is full of Pro around.
I'm using a usb condenser microphone to produce content.
The mic is directly connected to my laptop and I'm recording in Audition (without any interface).
I'm recording in my room (12 sq. meters).
I'm doing kind of tutorials video so I'm using the cardioid mode placing the microphone couple of inches from my mouth not directly in front about 45 degrees.

Pre setting :
 Latency 200 mS  ; Recording Microphone : Mono   ; Sample Rate 48000    ;   Bit depth 32 
(the gain of the mic is almost at minumum level)

Post Setting : 
Filter and EQ > Graphic Equalizer 20 bands 
5.6K - 1.9
8K - 5.9
11.3K - 6.2
16K - 5.1
22K - 2.9

Amplitude and compression > Dynamic Processing 
-60 dB   -55 dB
-20 dB   -10 dB

Parametric Equalizer  > Loudness maximizer 

Amplitude and Compression > Normalize to -1.00 dB

Noise Reduction(Process)  > Capture Noise Print
(selecting few seconds without speaking to the microphone)
Noise Reduction 90%
Reduce by 6.8 dB

First of all I want it to make clear this world is totally new for myself that's why I'm asking help.
Is anyone expert able to give me any tips regarding the setting during my recording ? 
I would like to enhance my audio and make it sound professional.
I'll be so thankful and if you like I can send you an audio to give you an idea as starting point.

Thanks in advance,

Marco.

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We couldn't possibly tell without a sample, but 2" from the mic is definitely too close - 6" is the minimum really. If you get too close, you increase the chances of blast and plosives considerably. And you should be using a pop filter anyway. But like I said, we'd need a sample, because a load of numbers don't actually mean anything in themselves. Also, no sample means that we have no idea what effect the room is having, and that's one of the most important things to get right.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your early reply Steve.
I'm already using a pop filter as recommended.
Where can I send you a sample audio file ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can post it on this site - there's a Drag and Drop file facility. Doesn't need to be large.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find attached a Sample.
Is in italian as it's my mother tongue and I'll be recording in my language.
I thought you can hear the sounds and correct them through some post production settings.
I haven't done any amplitude and compression change, because I've noticed that with "Normalize" my voice start to become kind of robotic.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hear a lot of room tone in your recording. This isn't surprising; in a room that small you won't be able to get far enough away from the walls, so unless you treat them, that's primarily what you are going to hear. Most importantly, you should note that nothing you can do in post production will alter this - that sound has effectively become a part of your voice, and the only way to get rid of it is to record in a space where the walls don't feed back into the mic.

One thing you can do that will make a significant improvement is to use one of these:

Reflexion filter 

There are cheaper ones available but they don't work as well. I can tell you from personal experience that the sE Electronics one works exceptionally well - all you have to do is make sure that the space immediately behind you is has a blanket or some other sort of diffusion - a bookcase full of books works quite well - and use it facing into the room. This will keep the reflections from the room getting into the sides of the mic, and that's what is producing so much room tone. If you don't address this, then you'll never get a 'professional' sound at all.

Until you get this right, it won't be possible to say what else, if anything, is needed to process the results from your recordings - the room tone affects everything. One thing I would say though is that in general, don't use the graphic EQ - it is in its nature to introduce phase shifts where you don't really want them. A much better bet is to use the Parametric EQ, which has far less artifacts and produces a generally 'cleaner' sound. But if you get the basic sound in the room right, then you'll need to do far less to the sound anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But they won't, will they? There's not a plugin around that fixes mic technique issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines