• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to record system sound?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past with my old computer it was a breeze to record the system with Audition.

Now with my new computer, still running on Windows 7 its difficult.

I have got my old program Camtasia, although it tells me that  there is no audio device detected, it properly records the system sound.

How can get Autition, too, to record my system sound. just as Audition did on my old computer?

BTW: I find it bloody difficult to find these help forums here, I am always diverted to some CLOUD pages and I have nothing to do with THAT.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to say: In the past with my old computer it was a breeze to record the system sound with Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Audacity, there no problems recording the system sound but I have to set to Audio Host...Windows WASAPI

Audio HOst MME doesnt work and Audition only offers me MME.

What can I do so that Audition, too, offers me the system sound?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Audition are you using? Audition should allow you to select WASAPI as a Device Class in the Audio Hardware set up page in preferences. But in the long run it is down to how you have your Windows Sound set up for recording that sends system sounds to Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Audition CS6, an upgrade from CS5.

Interestingly Audacity has no problems and there is that function.

When I go to Sound settings the Microphone tab there should be a Stereo mix option, but it isnt there and it seems Audition only uses whats installed on windows while other programs use WASAPI because its part of their programming.

Any idea to add WASAPI here?

EV_114.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Audition CS6 didn't support WASAPI. Later versions do. But I would have thought that there should be other settings for recording in the Windows set up page. Try right clicking in the white empty space below the two listed options and tick the boxes to Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices to make sure that other recording options haven't been hidden on your Windows installation. Then Audition should be able to use them via the MME drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thought, I havle already everything checked ON / visible.

My Windows 7 on my previous computer had "Stereo mix" as another option but I dont know how to activate that.

Nothing else to activate to make it work under MME drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unfortunate that Microsoft and some computer manufacturers have decided to disable the record Stereo Mix function so as not to upset the music industry and broadcasters by allowing streaming material to be recorded. You may be able to get something to work using a Virtual Audio Cable plugin app which will allow you to stream digital audio from one piece of software to another.

An online search for 'virtual audio cable' will point you to various alternatives, some free, some paid for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for that hint, I will see what I can do. Strange though, since the Windows 7 I had on my old computer had that Stereo Mix as option.

In the meantime I have to use Audacity to record the system sound or Camtasia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this one any good?

Download Virtual Audio Cable 4.15 (Free) for Windows

it comes with warnings....

Do not open manual file from a network path or directly from the

package otherwise help pages may not be displayed due to security

restrictions......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eireannsg1,

What did you end up doing? Did any of the advice our experts gave you help?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not sure that randysmith is a spammer but if i cant find file im after by google or other sites i use same method only with techsmith snagit.. i just hit record with enabled system audio only and trim audio in audition after.

if anyone is up to the game there are other things available. i cant recommend soundflower cuz in past i had lots of issues with that, but Loopback by rogue amoeba on mac works great, and for Windows PC is bit confusing at first is voicemeeter or voicemeeter banana.. as loopback works flawlessly but only on macs i got sometimes some latency problems using voicemeeter (not as bad as with soundflower, but still)..

so, if comes to my advice, is simple -- for me its best just record audio by third party app (like snagit im using) and trim after in audition. but its better to find best solution for urself

some links:

Rogue Amoeba | Loopback: Cable-Free Audio Routing

How to Setup VoiceMeeter Banana for OBS or XSplit & Streaming to Twitch / Beam + Discord - YouTube

Using VoiceMeeter to Capture System Audio & Mic. Input Simultaneously (Windows Tutorial) - YouTube

Cubase Tutorial: Record Computer System Sound Into Cubase (On Windows 10) - YouTube

Edit: ofc there is also OBS i forgot to mention..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VAC is one of the normal digital signal rerouting apps for Windows PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeeeea...noo.. VAC is PAID app, and there are alternatives which do same or more and are free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However the best way is to have a decent USB audio interface that has a method of routing system sounds through it's supplied mixing app internally IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just use TuneFab Screen Recorder to help me record the system audio and then I can enjoy this sound for further listening. I just turn on my system audio and microphone, then I can record it. Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SPAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eireannsg1  wrote

In the past with my old computer it was a breeze to record the system with Audition.

Now with my new computer, still running on Windows 7 its difficult.

I have got my old program Camtasia, although it tells me that  there is no audio device detected, it properly records the system sound.

How can get Autition, too, to record my system sound. just as Audition did on my old computer?

BTW: I find it bloody difficult to find these help forums here, I am always diverted to some CLOUD pages and I have nothing to do with THAT.

Hi, check your soundcard settings - if you have a "Loopback" option, or something similar - make sure it's checked and AA should be able to pick it up no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just recommend you to try tuneskit screen recorder that I'm using now. It's an easy to use yet professional screen recording software to capture all audios and videos on the computer. The thing is you can choose to record videos with sound or capture sound only; it's up to you. Besides, you're also freely to grab system audio or microphone audio separately or at the same time according to your needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only easy software to record PC stereo-out is Audacity.  I say this as a lifetime hobbyist audio engineer and having tried EVERYTHING holy mambos.  Make sure you use the WASAPI sound option with your PC - it is most stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Adobe Audition, Audacity and FonePaw Screen Recorder. The last one is not bad. You can try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is easily fixed.

Preferences --- Audio Hardware --- Click Settings --- Double click on "STEREO MIX" and "enable" it. Now you can record your browser.

Took me a year or so to work this out, you're welcome.

AUDIO HARDWARE.pngSETTINGS.pngSTERE MIX.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, stereo mix is no longer a option.  I'm not sure if this is because of an upgrade to Windows 10 or if it's something with the new laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! It finally worked! "Stereo Mix" was disabled for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines