Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to redock Toolbar back to its original position

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

I have accidentally undocked the Toolbar - no idea how this happened - so it became a floating panel.

When I tried to redock it, it was added to my panel group as a chunky panel.

In the original position it was in one horozontal row  just below the menu bar which is where and how I want it.

This is really ennoying and disrupting my workflow, so could someone please advise how can I return my toolbar to its original place and display - short of resetting my whole workspace to the default.

thanks

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe page about docking and undocking is here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checking. standby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. the manual says:

To redock the Tools panel in its default location, drag the Tools panel tab to the drop zone that spans the entire width of the Adobe Audition window, just under the menu bar.

The problem is that I don't have, or can't identify the drop zone that spans the entire width of the Adobe Audition window, just under the menu bar.  

I have attached a screenshot of my Audition's workspace. The Toolbar is now docked in the top panel.

The workspace has two columns - left with panels and tools and right with the editor. When I drag the Toolbar panel as per the instructions,  I can see only one column or the other (left or right) available for docking.  I can't get a drop zone that spans the entire window.  

How can I find this drop zone?  A video or screeshot would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the options in the Windows/Workspace menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to re-dock the Toolbar in this menu, so i'm not sure what you are suggesting.

I don't want to change my workspace layout.

Do you know how can I activate the drop zone that spans the entire window? 

that's the missing part as it is simply not there, or there is a trick to reveal it.

That's what I need to know.  A video or screenshot would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned that there is actually a slight anomaly with the Tools toolbar. You have to pick it up by the word 'Tools' and drag it to the middle of the screen. Then move it up slowly, past the purple bits that light up, and then you'll find that a faint green and rather thin bar appears, just below the File, Edit,Multitrack, etc bar. That's where you drop it. It's very easy to miss this and go too far - then it won't work.

How you picked it up in the first place is that you clicked on the thin dotted vertical line beside 'Waveform', on the left. That's all it takes...

I tried screen-grabbing it, but it won't, for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks - but there is still a problem.

Unfortunately, this is a significant design flaw in  Audition. Everything is faint, barely visible. Grey font on black background is a very low contrast straining the eyes. The font needs to be pure white for high contrast.

Whenever I'm working in Audition, I'm straining my eyes trying to read  the tiny barely visible font (and I have a LARGE monitor). That's something I will raise with Adobe as they really need to improve the visibility of the program.

Back to the Toolbar -

Yes, I can see the faint purple and green lines - you can even see them on the second screenshot I have attached - this is the result: as you can see, the Toolbar got docked as a panel above the Editor, not as a one horizontal line across the screen from the left edge just below the menu  bar to its original position, which is what I want.

If you can achieve this in  two-column layout like mine,  if you are on Windows you  can click on the keyboard  on the camera key next to the numeric pad lock key (or its equivalent depending on your keyboard) - this is a new screen grab that will freeze the whole screen saving it as a grab. No need to select anything.

That would be very helpful.  Otherwise, I will need to reach out to Adobe Support who most likely will tell me to reset my workspace to default, as that's the first step of all their troubleshooting - use the sledgehammer to kill a fly.

I prefer to avoid this, as changing the layout, the look and feel of the workspace is very tricky and takes a lot of time, as things get docked and moved quickly to the wrong positions most of the time so you have to rearrange everything several times.

Do you know if there is a video (that still has currency) showing how to change the workspace layout?  Nothing came up for me in Goggle search more recent than 13 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say anything about purple and green lines - I said a faint green bar (no lines involved). There are two possibilities - firstly that you have options set in the toolbar (you have to remove them all to get it to dock in a straight line in the correct place), and secondly that you've missed it altogether - it's a bit subtle. I'll try and do a short video in the morning, because I've not seen one covering this specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I now know why there aren't any videos about this! The screen-grab software flatly refuses to show an undocked panel over the basic display, for some reason. Tried lots of options and then decided to do it a different way. This is pretty horrible, because it uses a video camera pointing at a screen. But when all is said and done, it does show the process. Watch it all the way through because it's clearer on the recap.

Toolbar Relocation 

In AdobeSpeak, it looks like this:

Toolbar relocation.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteveG_AudioMasters_ 

Thank you so much Steve for this video and your effort to make it for me.

It's not horrible, it is very good and clear!

I was finally able to redock my Toolbar properly.

The difference - which can only be captured on video - is down to a millimeter of the correct position of the arrow handle. The Adobe manual doesn't capture it at all.

THANK YOU!    You are a life saver 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the problem with the Adobe version is that they've reduced everything to do with this relocation process down to two words - 'drop zone' - with no further explanation about why it's like that. Even my version isn't complete from this point of view. What I didn't say was that it's not just at the top you get a green zone; you get then at the sides and bottom as well. I don't know why, because they aren't exactly a lot of use there, as you'd find if you tried docking the toolbar to them... But the actual reason for the bars being there is that they represent the edge of the gamut of the base display, and they don't behave exactly like the other drop zones, as you'd find if you tried dropping other panels into them (you can, but it's a bad idea as you can't organise them the same way as the grey/purple ones).

The toolbar will only drop into the top green bar in a straight line - you won't get it to do this anywhere else, not even the bottom where perhaps you might have expected it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to - and don't think I even saw the green or purple bars.

I was only paying attention to the very precise position of the big white arrow handle and the top of the Toolbar panel.

Followed it exactly to the millimeter - and it worked!

For quick video screen capture I use Flashback Express Recorder.  But your video taken with a camera looking at the screen as you said, is absolutely perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried Flashback Express Recorder, and it does actually let you see the undocked panel, which is more than OBS does. But it only lets you record for two minutes, so I might have to spring for the Pro version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There you go. It's a great little program with many options. Easy to use and quick (free plug!). I've been using it for years. Could be used to produce short Tricky Audition videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bravo Steve!!!!  You rock!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines