Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imminent Forum Demise

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are no doubt aware:

>ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on Monday April 6, 2009.

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

And if you want to go somewhere to get your questions answered where you can also do useful things like post screenshots and files, etc then you are more than welcome at AudioMasters where we might get the odd blown fuse, but at least we can mend them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I spoke too soon about the email issue being solved using Eric's method.  I awoke to a flurry of notifications this morning.  My working theory is that the "cure" lasted only as long as my Firefox tabs kept me logged in.  Maybe I'll experiment some more but I'm not sure how much I care.

Also, I don't want to raise my head too far above the parapet or I might be "Peter Larsened".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is after all a wonderful system running on well designed software.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing - they don't have a suitable emoticon for..    ROTFLMAO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's this one SteveG:http://www.bossarea.com/forum/icon_rofl.gif

www.bossarea.com has some good emoticons... But emoticons aside, I like the simple and easy to use allegro.cc forums.  Mathew Leverton runs allegro.cc and I'm sure Adobe could learn a thing or two from his site... No offense.   And where is the 'Insert Audio' button

Yeah... Lets throw some more emoticons around.

Why is Adobe supporting Quick Time file formats on there forum, but not MP3?  Is audio to good for an audio recording software's forum?

Arg... I can go on forever.............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RonNovy wrote:

How's this one SteveG:http://www.bossarea.com/forum/icon_rofl.gif

I'm sure that they wouldn't put one like that up - simply because too many people would be using it about their forum software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is probably a lot of wasted bandwidth just because of those damn emoticons...

If I really wanted to know how someone was feeling, I would ask... Or check their myspace... Or just watch a soap opera with a bucket of chocolate ice cream...   But emoticons are fun in some situations...

[edit] they sensored the word b u c k e t ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RonNovy wrote:

[edit] they sensored the word b u c k e t ???

Interesting, that. I suspect that it's a certain combination of key strokes that does it, and it hasn't been thought through - so no change there, then.

Let's try mucking about with a few perfectly legal words and see what happens... I don't actually come from Scunthorpe (UK town) but it's quite useful as a test. So there are two that it might fail with...

...and so far it has let both of them through! (well it did the first time, but if you italicise the dodgy bit it fails with the second one...) So what happens if I use the word bucket???

Hehe! Let's try Nantucket - does that work? Yup...

Okay - I don't get it either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing that's seriously under-developed in this forum is the whole business of inserting a link. If I use the link insert tool to insert, for instance:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneDitheringGuide.pdf

I get the entire URL showing - which is pretty pointless, really. What should be there is a means of adding more sensible descriptive text easily. What you actually have to do though is go into the HTML editor and do it there. And for some strange reason, it inserts a <br> around the URL sometimes, and if you want it to flow seamlessly through the text, you have to get rid of this too. All I really want to be able to do is to put a link to the Ozone Dithering Guide inline easily. Is that such a ridiculous thing to be able to want to do? Well, according to whoever wrote this junk, it would appear to be...

And trying to break up quotes needs a similar level of manipulation - you can't do it properly with just cutting and pasting, because your paste ends up as a quote in a quote - which you have to edit manually so that it looks like a single one. Proper forum software doesn't have these problems, of course - but  the pig in a poke that Adobe bought certainly does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this has happened to anybody else, but this forum just crashed Firefox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That hasn't happened to me yet.  I use Firefox all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same reply as Eric.

(Although I haven't been here as often since the change...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's only happened the once - but that's one more time than the previous forum software managed.

A lot of people haven't been here often since the change - but quite a few of them are visiting AudioMasters, where we now have the vast majority of the FAQs sorted out (and I'm working on the remaining ones, and a few new ones as well) and far less trouble for users with the forum in general. And you can post audio files as well as pictures, etc, so you are better served from that POV too.

But here, all in all, this Java app that's used for generating replies really isn't very good - quite rough around the edges in fact, and no updates have been made in terms of sorting out the lack of sensible functionality. Since this is going to be the same across the entire Adobe forums, I can only begin to imagine how many hacked-off users there are...

So if you want to find most of the Adobe refugees, and some other helpful people too, then come on over. Even the developers visit from time to time, and one way or another you'll get better service there - simply because we don't use broken software.

This thread is called 'Imminent Forum Demise', and I had a feeling that something like this was going to happen - partly because of what happened last time. As a thread title though, it's turned out to be somewhat more prescient than I initially thought it would be. It's also the most read and contributed to thread there's been on this revised forum - by a long, long way. That ought to tell the forum managers something, I would have thought...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they're listening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote:

I don't know if this has happened to anybody else, but this forum just crashed Firefox...

And it's just done it again. It appears not to start the java reply posting applet properly, and then just crashes out the whole of Firefox. It recovers perfectly, coming back with everything, but it's still a bit of a PITA when it happens. And only to me, it would seem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been having crashes of Firefox since the update to v. 3.0.10. I have been assuming that this is a Firefox problem, as there are one or two other things that seem to be broken (although I'm hesitant to mention Real Audio here). I can't, however, relate the crashes to posting to this forum, as the software has driven me away. The site was open at the time of today's crash, though. I was working on another machine and this one was just sitting there when "poof".

On another machine I've reverted to V2 and on that machine it's rock solid

Firefox does recover well, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild_Duck wrote:

Well, I've been having crashes of Firefox since the update to v. 3.0.10. I have been assuming that this is a Firefox problem, as there are one or two other things that seem to be broken (although I'm hesitant to mention Real Audio here).

I haven't run any Real Audio - but with the same upgrade, this is the only site at all I've had any crashes on. Jive talking...

Maybe that's what 'Clearspace' is all about - clearing your browser off your working space!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve should get points just for referencing the Bee Gees in a relevant swipe at the forum software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve should get points just for referencing the Bee Gees in a relevant swipe at the forum software.

No...  Although, maybe..... no.

As for FireFox 3.0.10.... There are some long standing security issues with FireFox... Some other browsers are worse, but you may be a target/test for hackers...  I've only had FireFox crash once and that was a while back using FF2 and FF3 seems to be rock solid on my system.  Maybe its a virus.  or the Bee Gees trying to get their sound back...

http://www.bossarea.com/forum/icon_rofl.gif

Erg... It just took about 10 minuets just to get that quote up there to appear correctly!

[edit] Just a thought... Try updating java on your system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron,

it it spelled menuets, not minuets.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric S 1 wrote:

Well I'm just glad you got a buzz out of that...

And as for these minuets - it all depends who's minuet you were listening to at the time, doesn't it? They definitely aren't menuets though - at least I don't think they are. Just a minute, I'll check...

Oh, and Java is slap bang up to date on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried getting in to the forum earlier, and it said that they were 'maintaining' it. Shame - it's not maintaing that it needs, really. Scrapping would seem to be a better alternative...

And Firefox has failed for a third time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having not posted here for a month, I thought I'd come by and say hi and bye.  The only improvement I can perceive after all this time is that the default posts per forum page has been raised to 50.  I don't see any correction to any number of the other problems this software foists on us, nor, given the slow "progress," do I ever expect there will be.  This has to be the worst web programming I have ever seen -- it's a facelift on a rotting gargoyle.  I could care less that it looks nice; it's royally inconvenient to use, so I'm going to take my 134 posts (an insult -- we all are shorted about 4/5 of our posts) and leave.  See ya'll on AudioMasters.

What's really tragic is that it looks like OzPeter has left too.  Now there's a real loss.

PS Am I the only user that has a hard time scrolling through a page with the middle mouse wheel, because the CPU load to simply scroll long pages like this is so high that it's sticky and stuttery?  This is on my state-of-the-art 8-core machine with zillions of bytes of RAM, etc., not my stupid slow home machine.  What were the programmers thinking?  Incredibly unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicConductor wrote:

PS Am I the only user that has a hard time scrolling through a page with the middle mouse wheel, because the CPU load to simply scroll long pages like this is so high that it's sticky and stuttery?  This is on my state-of-the-art 8-core machine with zillions of bytes of RAM, etc., not my stupid slow home machine.  What were the programmers thinking?  Incredibly unnecessary.

I don't have a lot of trouble making a page scroll - but actually accessing the site can take ages. It doesn't surprise me that things like scrolling are screwed, because it's all sitting under Jave control, so anything could happen - and often does...

What's really tragic is that it looks like OzPeter has left too.  Now there's a real loss.

There are a few things I could say about this, but since I already said to him that I wasn't going to say anything about it, I won't. Except that now it's pretty obvious that I knew, I suppose - but let's just say it's private. The reason that all the FAQs are now on AudioMasters is not entirely unrelated, though - draw your own conclusions.

See ya'll on AudioMasters.

...where there is a lot more basic information available in the form of FAQs, plenty of scope for actually posting useful things like audio files, and generally we don't throw all the useful stuff away. And the post editor actually works...

Because if you want a real  laugh, just try posting a message like this so that it looks like the old forum did, and with the bits quoted not in the posted order! If I had any hair left, I would have torn it all out a few minutes ago, believe me. The only way you can do it is by hacking the HTML (actually java) - this terminally stupid editor won't let you format things sensibly at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines