• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

inserting new audio into existing track

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it's something basic I'm missing, but on another software I'm able to move the red cursor to a point where I want to insert more dialogue, hit record, speak, and the existing dialogue is pushed further down to accommodate the new stuff.

In Audition, I try the same thing, yet it erases the dialogue in front of it (the dialogue further down the track).

Help. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Are you recording in the Multitrack or Waveform view? It is important because the way audio is recorded in each view is different and recording over previous audio will have different results. However that said Audition has never had the facility to insert record audio in any version. Normally it is much safer to make a new recording and insert that into the original afterwards when editing, which is what Audition is set up to do. As you have found trying to do it the other way by over recording

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you recording in the Multitrack or Waveform view? It is important because the way audio is recorded in each view is different and recording over previous audio will have different results. However that said Audition has never had the facility to insert record audio in any version. Normally it is much safer to make a new recording and insert that into the original afterwards when editing, which is what Audition is set up to do. As you have found trying to do it the other way by over recording has it's fatal flaws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark  wrote

However that said Audition has never had the facility to insert record audio in any version.

May be worth pointing out why this is. When Audition was first conceived (as Cool Edit) it was intended to mimic what a tape recorder would do. If you wound your tape to a specific point, and started recording - well, you'd erase what was already there; you wouldn't have a choice!

So this is based on a practical concept, with a history to it. When it was first launched, this seemed entirely natural behaviour. Other than that, what ryclark said...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much thanks for the quick response, Ryclark. It's waveform. I'm coming off of years of using Wavepad (NCH) recording long-form voiceovers. And if I needed to go back and re-do a line I didn't like or was given new dialogue to insert, I could go back to any point and insert whatever and it would seamlessly flow along. So if I'm understanding right with Audition, if I want to do that I have to open up another track, record my "do-over", and then copy and paste it into my other track?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't necessarily have to start a new 'track' to do this. Just append it onto the end of your current audio. Then you can cut and paste it where you want afterwards. But remember that neither the original recording or edit exists in an audio file until you save it. So things can go wrong and you might possibly loose the recording.

However when doing this type of recording it is safer to do it in the Multitrack view which saves the recorded audio directly into a file as you record. Then if you need to re-record any retakes you can actually do this over the original recording and Audition automatically saves it as a new file but shown in place. Thus you can have many retakes layered one above another in a Track in the Multitrack view and you can go back and choose the best to keep/insert afterwards and nothing is lost or overwritten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryclark, much appreciation for your assistance. Faster response than most tech supports! One other detail...if I've unplugged my mic and realize I want to add just one more thing, Audition won't allow the mic after I plug it back in unless I close out and restart the program. "The default input device has no channels selected. Configure channel mapping."

Obviously, no clue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How are you connecting your mic into the PC? Possibly what you seem to be suffering from is Microsoft's and Windows' dreaded Auto Jack Detection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines